• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 23 IWC DCO Reserve Board

Morivelle

as I have to give up my second citizenship before I get commissioned, today my recruiter told me that I have plenty of time to do the renunciation paperwork because she expects I will be commissioned in March.

number9

Contributor
as I have to give up my second citizenship before I get commissioned, today my recruiter told me that I have plenty of time to do the renunciation paperwork because she expects I will be commissioned in March.
You can PM me if you would rather not answer this publicly, but: who is telling you to renounce? There is plenty of gouge out there that says "You cannot be a dual citizen when you commission" but the reality is more nuanced than that.

In other words, if you have hesitation about renouncing it, please check with your recruiter as why you need to renounce it or if you're simply being asked to because "that's the way we always do it".

Morivelle

Dual citizenship is not an automatic disqualifier to get appropriate

High Security Clearance​

However, if the military job which the recruit is applying for requires a "Secret" security clearance level, a dual citizenship can be a serious obstacle. These are individuals who will be dealing with information that can harm United States interests if leaked into the wrong hands. Consequently, the investigation scrutinizes the potential recruit's background more closely. Depending on the job, the dual citizen might have to renounce his non-U.S. citizenship. It is also possible that the very existence of the alternate citizenship in the first place will disqualify him from getting a security clearance for a particular job.

Officers​

Unlike enlisted personnel, officers in the United States military must be U.S. citizens and U.S. citizens alone. If an officer candidate has a dual citizenship, then he must renounce it in order to receive an officer's commission. Furthermore, all United States military officers must be able to receive a "Secret" security clearance level. Depending on the country from which the prospective officer candidate has his other citizenship, and his previous visitation and involvement with that country, the individual may be unable to receive a security clearance even if they are willing to renounce their foreign citizenship.

TheClyde

High Security Clearance​

However, if the military job which the recruit is applying for requires a "Secret" security clearance level, a dual citizenship can be a serious obstacle. These are individuals who will be dealing with information that can harm United States interests if leaked into the wrong hands. Consequently, the investigation scrutinizes the potential recruit's background more closely. Depending on the job, the dual citizen might have to renounce his non-U.S. citizenship. It is also possible that the very existence of the alternate citizenship in the first place will disqualify him from getting a security clearance for a particular job.

Officers​

Unlike enlisted personnel, officers in the United States military must be U.S. citizens and U.S. citizens alone. If an officer candidate has a dual citizenship, then he must renounce it in order to receive an officer's commission. Furthermore, all United States military officers must be able to receive a "Secret" security clearance level. Depending on the country from which the prospective officer candidate has his other citizenship, and his previous visitation and involvement with that country, the individual may be unable to receive a security clearance even if they are willing to renounce their foreign citizenship.
What is the source of this?

number9

Contributor
What is the source of this?
+1. It may be true in many cases, but it is not strictly true in all cases. This is why it's a good idea to avoid using words like "must" in documents..

That being said: @Morivelle if you don't care about keeping your 2nd citizenship, you can just renounce it now and avoid the headache.

Morivelle

I am already enlisted in the US Navy and my CO has confirmed that for Intelligence Officer I have to renounce my Italian citizenship and need a document proving my resignation.

TheClyde

I am already enlisted in the US Navy and my CO has confirmed that for Intelligence Officer I have to renounce my Italian citizenship and need a document proving my resignation.

I would ask my CO from what document he/she is getting that information, considering the INTEL PA literally says "Being a dual citizen (i.e. a U.S. citizen and a citizen of another country) is not necessarily disqualifying. Associated risks to national security will be determined on a case-bycase basis, refer to ICD 704."

vickey0070

I would ask my CO from what document he/she is getting that information, considering the INTEL PA literally says "Being a dual citizen (i.e. a U.S. citizen and a citizen of another country) is not necessarily disqualifying. Associated risks to national security will be determined on a case-bycase basis, refer to ICD 704."

I beleive that Oath of Allegiance comes into play while working for Federal Government.