• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

xtreme_rob

FY10 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
A. does it matter, your flying lol, B. I never saw that in the instruction. there is actually a program if you go the npc website for NFO pilot applicants. I may be mistaken, but i dont see the navy limiting the platform just because they were an NFO.

Yeah, I was jw. I seem to remember reading about it somewhere... it was some admirals decision in the '90s. He thought the NFOs were too full of themselves when they went back through training, and stats showed they had a higher crash rate.
But you're completely right.. doesn't matter as long as you're flying!!!

JNeal111

AT2 -> OC -> SNFO
That is exactly what I thought when I said yes. I am just a little nervous that it meant it pulled me from selection as pilot. Either way I'm happy, it just gave me a boost of confidence that will make it hurt even more if my name isn't on the list come October...

I hear you on that one but at the end of the day I want to be a Naval Officer, If it comes down to NFO I am still flying and can always apply to convert at a later date but then again if the list comes out and im wrong thats gonna sting a bit but its all good this is my third time applying and after being an alternate before I can deal with the wait.

etspike

I got one of those emails about changing from pilot to NFO as well.

It was, of course, the morning after my first day in Thailand (45 days underway!) so I didn't notice it right away.

I replied back and said that I'd want to stick with pilot though. I think that drops my chances of making it this year, but after considering it, I'd rather go straight in for something I know I want to do then something I think I'd want to do.

rbsbll09

STA-21 NFO Applicant
For all of the guys who got calls or emails about switching to NFO instead of pilot- I spoke to Ed a while back becuase i am an NFO applicant and found out that last year 100% of eligible applicants were selected for NFO. there were 20 total nfo applicants but 4 didnt have the right scores and so the field didnt have a 100% selection rate, but if you qualified you were accepted. Take it as you want, but my feeling is that there was a very low number of applicants and they are looking to fill some spots.

Also if you are selected NFO, you are still eligible to try and switch to Pilot while in school. once in sta-21 you are guaranteed the program you were selected for, but you can switch as long as the community you are switching to and the selected community managers are willing to work it out with you. ie- selected NFO and apply for SPECOPS, you dont lose your nfo spot until SPECOPS accepts you.

If you are an NFO you can retrain and fly jets as a pilot. i have 3 previous NFOs flying in my squadron now and we are single seater F/A-18E.

OscarMyers

None
And now we play the waiting game, hopefully some of these hypothesis will materialize in our favor. Anyone hear and gouge if the boards have adjourned yet?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
For all of the guys who got calls or emails about switching to NFO instead of pilot- I spoke to Ed a while back becuase i am an NFO applicant and found out that last year 100% of eligible applicants were selected for NFO. there were 20 total nfo applicants but 4 didnt have the right scores and so the field didnt have a 100% selection rate, but if you qualified you were accepted. Take it as you want, but my feeling is that there was a very low number of applicants and they are looking to fill some spots.

Also if you are selected NFO, you are still eligible to try and switch to Pilot while in school. once in sta-21 you are guaranteed the program you were selected for, but you can switch as long as the community you are switching to and the selected community managers are willing to work it out with you. ie- selected NFO and apply for SPECOPS, you dont lose your nfo spot until SPECOPS accepts you.

If you are an NFO you can retrain and fly jets as a pilot. i have 3 previous NFOs flying in my squadron now and we are single seater F/A-18E.

Retreading can be hard on the career path. Instead of a shore duty that hits a career milestone, you have to go back to flight school. There is also no guarantee that jet NFO's will get jets again in flight school, so if you like your community you might want to stay. I think that NFO is a very important designator and I haven't met many that do not enjoy their careers. You are only going to be accepted to a pilot training program if you are a shit hot NFO, so focus on that for now.

OscarMyers

None
Is the login website down for anybody else? The page wont even load anymore. I know usually the BOL will be unaccessible when they are loading the new batch of orders up. Wonder if the same is true for this website.

jake954

I was able to get on about 3 hours ago (1800 or so). Now I am unable to. Seems NETFOCUS (Naval Education and Training Future Officer and Citizenship User System) is not functioning. Not sure if it means anything. I mean for schools, FLTMPS seems to be down 12 hours out of a darn day. Who knows?

53Crewman

FY09 STA-21 Pilot Alternate
That is exactly what I thought when I said yes. I am just a little nervous that it meant it pulled me from selection as pilot. Either way I'm happy, it just gave me a boost of confidence that will make it hurt even more if my name isn't on the list come October...

It wouldn't make sense to pull the pilot selectees, imo. It really sounds like they probably contacted the ALTs since you would figure that they should be the first ones up for a choice...

Just throwing some common sense down, there was a reason they called. And if I were a betting man, if you chose to switch, your name will likely be somewhere on the list for NFO...