• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY12 STA-21 Applicants

tonydude102

well another year of non selection for me. Congrats to everyone who made it. Dont forget where youve come from! I really wish they would provide us some feedback....

ProudNavyMom

It was rude. I have been following the thread for a few weeks now, never posting because I had nothing to contribute. I was only trying to thank those on the thread that helped to keep me informed. I thank each and every one of you for your service. And congratulations to all those that made it, and I'm sorry to all of you that didn't make it. It seems that if you weren't a nuke, you didn't have much chance.

I will go away now, and leave the board to the true warriors.

Mpower1999

killer boots man!
Hey all, this is directed to the other ALT pilots. If you are out there please PM me. I hope that we can discuss our chances of getting accepted. Man....75 selectees and 35 of them nuclear is like a slap in the face.

timmyhoffa

FY-12 SWO/ED Selectee
Hey all, this is directed to the other ALT pilots. If you are out there please PM me. I hope that we can discuss our chances of getting accepted. Man....75 selectees and 35 of them nuclear is like a slap in the face.
I know it's tough, but it's all about supply and demand. The turnover rate for Nuclear JO's is ridiculous and the training pipelines are full of people that have the academic potential to get a technical degree and complete the Nuclear pipeline as an O.

adaptive

I know it's tough, but it's all about supply and demand. The turnover rate for Nuclear JO's is ridiculous and the training pipelines are full of people that have the academic potential to get a technical degree and complete the Nuclear pipeline as an O.
It makes perfect sense... the nuclear officers have a huge impact on the current state of affairs in our country.. what with two land wars wrapping up and numerous more terrorist conflicts burgeoning on the horizon... what we need is more nukes!

timmyhoffa

FY-12 SWO/ED Selectee
It makes perfect sense... the nuclear officers have a huge impact on the current state of affairs in our country.. what with two land wars wrapping up and numerous more terrorist conflicts burgeoning on the horizon... what we need is more nukes!
I don't really want to debate this, but if you really understood the percentage of the Navy's combatant ships that are nuclear powered you probably wouldn't say that. Take away every carrier and submarine we have and tell me how effective the Navy would be........

adaptive

I don't really want to debate this, but if you really understood the percentage of the Navy's combatant ships that are nuclear powered you probably wouldn't say that. Take away every carrier and submarine we have and tell me how effective the Navy would be........

haha. combatant ships...I understand what your saying, but if all that was so important, they wouldn't put so much emphasis on IA's. Not trying to be an ass, but it is upsetting for the guys who didnt get selected to see results like these. I would imagine, however, that there are many reasons for the said turnover of nuclear officers, which may contribute to it not being such a great position after all.

timmyhoffa

FY-12 SWO/ED Selectee
haha. combatant ships...I understand what your saying, but if all that was so important, they wouldn't put so much emphasis on IA's. Not trying to be an ass, but it is upsetting for the guys who didnt get selected to see results like these. I would imagine, however, that there are many reasons for the said turnover of nuclear officers, which may contribute to it not being such a great position after all.
Trust me, I understand where you're coming from. I was a staff member in the nuclear pipeline and still applied SWO/ED twice. The selection rates for Nuke are ridiculously higher but it's not what I wanted to do.

adaptive

Trust me, I understand where you're coming from. I was a staff member in the nuclear pipeline and still applied SWO/ED twice. The selection rates for Nuke are ridiculously higher but it's not what I wanted to do.
I didn't get my first option either. My real point though, all sarcasm aside, is that billets for EOD, SEALS, PILOTS, and INTEL, (really everyone as a whole took heavies this year, with total billets cut 50%) continued to shrink this year, which makes no sense to me. I understand the nuclear needs of the Navy, but big picture, those guys just keep the ships moving to support the others fields doing their jobs. My view of things may be slightly biased, and we are in the Navy after all, but when is the last time we were in a giant naval battle?

breadandbutter

FY-12 Specwar Alternate
I didn't get my first option either. My real point though, all sarcasm aside, is that billets for EOD, SEALS, PILOTS, and INTEL, (really everyone as a whole took heavies this year, with total billets cut 50%) continued to shrink this year, which makes no sense to me. I understand the nuclear needs of the Navy, but big picture, those guys just keep the ships moving to support the others fields doing their jobs. My view of things may be slightly biased, and we are in the Navy after all, but when is the last time we were in a giant naval battle?

They'll cut our slots down to 1, but they'll take out running to chow in bud/s to let in more turds next year.

DiverDan

US Navy Diver
I know a lot of the SEALs and EOD wannabes come from the Naval Academy or from schools with NROTC. There's enough people who wish to become one that there's no need for STA-21 to "pick up the slack".

On another note, bummed that I didn't make either list. Congrats to everyone who made it and I guess I'll just be applying next year.

lovemyhubby

Prior AC, Future Educator
To those who didn't make it: (my hubby didn't either) BUT...Just keep your head up. I may not know any of you personally but I am very proud of each and every one of you. Out of the 300,000+ men and women in the US Navy I am guessing 1000 or less applied. That says a lot for each one of you. Do not give up. You will make it exactly to where you are supposed to be. Everyone has a purpose in life. Just keep doing what you are doing and you will get there.

MasterBates

Remember, if your command thought enough of you to even have your package go up, that means you are above average to start with.

My recommendation, especially to those of you staring down the double barreled shotgun that is PTS and ERB, is to keep trying, but not get scope locked on STA-21.. Depending on your age and timing of when you can get out, finishing college on your own using your GI Bill and going to OCS may be a viable option. Granted, the numbers there suck at the moment as well, but any chance is better than zero chance.