• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY12 STA-21 Applicants

visanoven

ENC -> OC
I have been following (stalking) this forum for a couple of days, I just wish I had found it sooner. This is my first post here, and I just wanted to congratulate all the selectees! I was selected as an alternate for SWO/ED, so hopefully next year I will get selected. Again, congratulations to all who made it!!

mboardmanusn

I just want to say that I LOVE THIS FORUM and almost everyone in it! I feel like we're this weird little family waiting for Christmas morning... except we don't know which morning we'll be allowed to open our present, but thrive in the anxiety of the game!!!
I think that was you that was selected? If so CONGRATS!

omararw

FY-12 Pilot Ready to fly Navy!
Congratulations!! That's awesome that you made it. You had some great stats. I finish my AA in DEC and willed be applying again for sure. Any advice you can give pm me please. I would be grateful.
PM me when you get a chance lol

mboardmanusn

I am the oceanography alternate. I was hoping for more than one selectee this year...oh well. I only count three total oceano selects including the swo guys.
That's pretty exciting to even be selected as an Alternate though. That is pretty rough numbers, wasn't expecting just 1. At least your name was on the NAVADMIN lol

jeeplovindad

FY13 Sta-21 Applicant EDO/SWO
I have been following (stalking) this forum for a couple of days, I just wish I had found it sooner. This is my first post here, and I just wanted to congratulate all the selectees! I was selected as an alternate for SWO/ED, so hopefully next year I will get selected. Again, congratulations to all who made it!!
Congrats on making alternate! That's quite the feat. It's somewhat misleading when you see three EDO selections on the NAVADMIN - 2 of them seem to have been reserved for Nuke type's. So as a CS oriented guy, that's a good feat. Congrats again. Pretty sure you won't see me on here next year, with the numbers continuing to go down and the inevitable defense budget cutbacks, I think I'm gonna forego another enlistment. Less competition for you next go around.

visanoven

ENC -> OC
Congrats on making alternate! That's quite the feat. It's somewhat misleading when you see three EDO selections on the NAVADMIN - 2 of them seem to have been reserved for Nuke type's. So as a CS oriented guy, that's a good feat. Congrats again. Pretty sure you won't see me on here next year, with the numbers continuing to go down and the inevitable defense budget cutbacks, I think I'm gonna forego another enlistment. Less competition for you next go around.

I am right there with you. Times are getting tough in the navy. Next year will be my second look for chief, and it doesnt look good for my rate. It seems like all the navy really wants is nukes right now (no offense nukes!). We shall see next year though. My COC wants me to put an LDO package in instead, but that just isnt what I want to do. Next year is definetly going to be a game changer for me though.

visanoven

ENC -> OC
Trust me, I understand where you're coming from. I was a staff member in the nuclear pipeline and still applied SWO/ED twice. The selection rates for Nuke are ridiculously higher but it's not what I wanted to do.

Congratulations on your selection Chief. You were an alternate last year, correct? Gives me some hope for FY13.

Randy Belknap

I applied for the same and wasn't even selected as an alt. Was your stats if you don't mind

Mine was

ET2 (SW/AW) with small craft ensignia
8 hrs active duty
E4 evals - EP
E5 evals - MP EP MP EP
SAT: 580 math - 580 reading
Sailor of the year for fy11
AA in general studies with GPA 3.20
1 of 1 of candidates applying
Got straight 10's on all but one interview sheet (which had a couple of 9)
PRT's: outstanding low - outstanding low - excellent high
Awards: 2xNAM - 3x FLOCS - 2x good conducts
Had a letter from my county mayor for my volunteerism

Only issue was that my nomination review board was not with a commanding officer as chairman because of the remote duty location I'm at.

Please tell someone what I can improve on or did wrong!

visanoven

ENC -> OC
My stats were:

EN1(SW/EXW)
7 yrs active duty
E5-NOB
E6- P (frocking), MP, EP, P (transfered W/less than 3 months on board)
SAT: 600 math - 730 reading
AA in applied marine engineering GPA 3.5
1 of 1 candidates applying
I had a couple of nines on my interview sheet
PRT: good medium-good high-excellent low
Awards: 2 NAM-2 good conduct

So, stat for stat it looks like we were pretty evenly matched, but remember that the board is looking at a whole person concept. We are both done with our associates degree, but what else have you done. I have finished the requirements for a minor in engineering management and am already enrolled in a mechanical engineering program at a University. I submitted a degree plan with my package to demonstate that I would be able to finish in a little over a year. Also, you didnt mention who sat your board. I had an EDO (CDR) sit on my command board and had all EDO's, chaired by an EDO CO (1 LCDR, 2 CDR, 1 CAPT) for my nom review board. I don't know how much that matters, but it can't hurt. I hope that helps, any other questions, feel free to ask!

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
Congrats all who made it and keep your head up, look at other options and keep applying for those who didn't. It doesn't surprise me that the nuclear community was untouched this year, due to the high academic requirements that are not always found from the OCS and Academy pool, as well as the high turnover rate after initial JO tour. However, I hope in the coming years other communities will open up some more.
That being said, if anyone has any questions about how to apply to college or what to expect, feel free to ask/pm me. Also if you are all interested in the University of Colorado, let me know and I can give you the down and dirty.

Again, Congrats!

DiverDan

US Navy Diver
My stats were:

EN1(SW/EXW)
7 yrs active duty
E5-NOB
E6- P (frocking), MP, EP, P (transfered W/less than 3 months on board)
SAT: 600 math - 730 reading
AA in applied marine engineering GPA 3.5
1 of 1 candidates applying
I had a couple of nines on my interview sheet
PRT: good medium-good high-excellent low
Awards: 2 NAM-2 good conduct

So, stat for stat it looks like we were pretty evenly matched, but remember that the board is looking at a whole person concept. We are both done with our associates degree, but what else have you done. I have finished the requirements for a minor in engineering management and am already enrolled in a mechanical engineering program at a University. I submitted a degree plan with my package to demonstate that I would be able to finish in a little over a year. Also, you didnt mention who sat your board. I had an EDO (CDR) sit on my command board and had all EDO's, chaired by an EDO CO (1 LCDR, 2 CDR, 1 CAPT) for my nom review board. I don't know how much that matters, but it can't hurt. I hope that helps, any other questions, feel free to ask!
Is this your first time applying? I went for SWO/ED as well and it certainly helps to see where I can improve. Based off of what you showed about all I can see is finishing my Associates. Some of my stats are in a different thread. I got all 10s on my sheets and don't think I could do better on anything else besides adding some more classes.

AG_2_1800_hopeful

FY-12 Oceanography Selectee
I think that was you that was selected? If so CONGRATS!
it was, and thank-you! We were just wrapping up my farewell... I enlisted into the IRR and listened to a ton of people at my command say all these nice and mushy words about me. It was a potluck and everyone had already started eating when the CAPT walked in and announced to everyone that "the Navy had seen the error in it's ways and I was selected for STA-21"! UNBELIEVEABLE!

it was, and thank-you! We were just wrapping up my farewell... I enlisted into the IRR and listened to a ton of people at my command say all these nice and mushy words about me. It was a potluck and everyone had already started eating when the CAPT walked in and announced to everyone that "the Navy had seen the error in it's ways and I was selected for STA-21"! UNBELIEVEABLE!
That's awsome.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
I just looked at the new presentation on the STA21 website. Wow. They broke down statistics to show what kind of sat scores there were, age groups selected, rank selected, etc....