• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY14 STA-21 Applicants

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
So I will have to agree with most people on here! Getting my package ready for the second year was not nearly as difficult; however, my command just dragged their feet the entire process and were not as motivated as they were last year. I am taking leave just to try to pass some time until the results come out. The waiting game is just as hard as it was last year and we still have close to three months until the results come out.
I am deployed this time around... and will be past the time the results are due. So the waiting game won't be so bad. Also, I am running with the thought of "Third time is the charm."

I just submitted my last additional document today. My additional document count is at 19 this year, the most it has been.

Jeremy Springston

FY14 CEC Option
So I've been waiting for the Chief results to come out and the message board I follow resembles how we will be come the middle of October. Oh well; I guess life is more fun when there is something to which you can look forward....at least that's what my wife tells me when she wants me to shut up.

Just a thought for anyone who wants to become an officer but might not get the STA-21 opportunity: give a look at the Career Intermission Program. It does not guarantee a commission or anything of the sort; however, at a minimum, it could be used to complete a degree and apply for a slot to OCS.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
This forum is so dead this year ..... Heard a rumor that the number of applicants was down 300 from the average of the past couple years. Not sure the validity but sounds legit. It's probably because of the zero select opportunities this year but who knows.

Jeremy Springston

FY14 CEC Option
This forum is so dead this year ..... Heard a rumor that the number of applicants was down 300 from the average of the past couple years. Not sure the validity but sounds legit. It's probably because of the zero select opportunities this year but who knows.

Can't say I'm surprised. Between the zero-select opportunities, frustrated applicants, and those who graduated/otherwise no longer eligible, I wouldn't doubt the 300-fewer applicant rumor. Not to mention the fact that only 50 people will get selected; when you compare that to years past, its enough to make some people simply give up.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Probably DOD concerns over anticipated future cuts in the military budget. It's gonna get bloody down the road.:(
BzB

lifepilot17

FY-14 STA-21 Alternate Selectee
I also heard that rumor, however, I also heard that the select rate is going up in the open options. Possibly, we could be seeing above 60 being selected this year. Of course, this is simply hopeful rumor and not verified fact.

Also, here are my stats for this year's application:

First time applying, last possible attempt for pilot: I'm 27.

RATE: AT3, Calibration Technician
TIS: 1.5 yrs
EVALS: EP
ACT: 30
ASTB: 8/9/8 OAR 55
COLLEGE: 100 Cr Hours towards Aviation Management degree, 3.14 GPA
PROGRAM: Pilot and Core
PRTs: Excellent/Outstanding/Excellent
LOR's: Dean of University/Capt Spec Ops Helo Flyer/'C' School Senior Chief/ 'C' School CO
Have Private Pilot's License with over 100 hours, working towards instrument rating

lifepilot17

FY-14 STA-21 Alternate Selectee
According to the FY-14 budget plan we only have 50 quotas. That's the same as last year. Is that you Hand??

50 it is! Makes sense with the budget issues... Person I heard the over 60 figure from may be a wishful thinker.

And, yeah, that's me Longo! Had to create a new account a few months back...

A_Wand

FY12/13 ALT FY14 CANDIDATE
Well, IDK what kind of additional documents you guys added, but I have 41 additional docs. Mostly awards and certifications.

So... I hope that is good for me? LOL. I swear, if I am an alternate for a third time...

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
I only sent in 2 additional documents after the package deadline date. Those were an updated transcript with completed class grades and a letter from the Mayor of Oak Harbor for some volunteer work that was done.

I don't know about y'all but it is so frustrating every day at work a different pilot or NFO has asked me what the results for STA-21 are! I just wanna tell them all to stop asking its driving me crazy. If I don't get selected this year you will see my chit for next year just saying. They are making it worse.

ETT

Hi everybody. I am new but no so new to the forum. As I was getting huge amount of resources from this forum. I wanted to thank every one for helping me to prepare this year's package. I mailed my additional documents in two weeks ago.Good luck to everyone in this years selection.

Option: SWO/ED
Rate: EM2
Yis: 4.5 yrs
Warfare: SW/AW
High School: GED FROM CHINA
College: AA (GENERAL STUDIES) from Central Texas College - 3.2 GPA ( waiting for graduation certificate)
ACT: 26 Math, 21 English
Evals: EP, EP, EP, EP, EP
Awards: 1 NAM, 1 Good Conduct
PRT: All Good
LORs: CWO3, LT(LDO), LTJG(LDO)
Foreign Language- Passed DLPT for both Cantonese and Mandarin (3+,3+) I am not sure if this matters.

My buddy's package comments said he's has no recent PRT scores. But he was on deployment last year and the result was waived. It didn't say disqualifying on the comment. I wonder if he's packaged will be disqualified because of that?

BackOrdered

Contributor
My buddy's package comments said he's has no recent PRT scores. But he was on deployment last year and the result was waived. It didn't say disqualifying on the comment. I wonder if he's packaged will be disqualified because of that?

His CO has the authority to waive his PRT scores due to deployment. He will not be DQ'd for that, the CO's endorsement is what matters and if he were out of standards, he wouldn't get it.

I would reccommend getting some senior officer LOR for your package. JO LORs aren't strongly considered, if at all.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hi everybody. I am new but no so new to the forum. As I was getting huge amount of resources from this forum. I wanted to thank every one for helping me to prepare this year's package. I mailed my additional documents in two weeks ago.Good luck to everyone in this years selection.

Option: SWO/ED
Rate: EM2
Yis: 4.5 yrs
Warfare: SW/AW
High School: GED FROM CHINA
College: AA (GENERAL STUDIES) from Central Texas College - 3.2 GPA ( waiting for graduation certificate)
ACT: 26 Math, 21 English
Evals: EP, EP, EP, EP, EP
Awards: 1 NAM, 1 Good Conduct
PRT: All Good
LORs: CWO3, LT(LDO), LTJG(LDO)
Foreign Language- Passed DLPT for both Cantonese and Mandarin (3+,3+) I am not sure if this matters.
ETT, welcome aboard. Good luck with your application package submission for the STA-21 Program.:)

*For any significant accomplishment (re: your fluency in Chinese dialects), put them in, they may or may not(?) help, but they will not detract! ;)
BzB, prior ET2 (SS)