• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Google Prowler videos

NavyLonghorn

Since the altitude control only holds a level altitude, im not sure what could happen there.
I am defenitly not an expert on our autopilot.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NavyVance said:
Since the altitude control only holds a level altitude, im not sure what could happen there.
I've seen AFCS fail in some pretty disturbing ways over the years on a number of platforms. Bottom line, expect the unexpected at the worst possible moment. How about some uncommanded full deflection inputs while you're making your approach turn? Might just ruin your day.

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
NavyVance said:
A4's, you gotta stop using that picture man.. its disturbing.
Are you trying to emasculate me or something??? Stop using "it"??? Dunno it I can do that ... as it's MY version of the AW "smiley face" ... read it and weep .... plus, it kinda looks like me on a good day ... when I'm happy.

.... :) :)

NavyLonghorn

Alright. Im gonna start signing my posts with this:

It kinda looks like me on a good day...

Attachments

• 59.jpg
    59.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 131

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Brett327 said:
I've seen AFCS fail in some pretty disturbing ways over the years on a number of platforms. Bottom line, expect the unexpected at the worst possible moment. How about some uncommanded full deflection inputs while you're making your approach turn? Might just ruin your day.

Brett

Too true. I had my cyclic start to program forward on me while taking off at about 80 feet. Not a hard over, just the trim deciding it wanted to go somewhere else. After the abort, we touched down, and the whole AFCS sh!t itself. Stupid 'trons.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
NavyVance said:

true, but I was talking about a system that will hold a particular attitude (i.e you set the climb profile and it will hold it). Really didn't end up being a big deal, but if I were in the back seat it would have probably scared the crap out of me

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
Stupid 'trons.
Since this was a Prowler thread, this one time...at band camp...I inadvertently pointed my jamming beam on a nearby Hornet and both crew members spontaneously combusted. The heat from the conflagration caused spurious inputs to their DFCS that made their jet do a repeating series of split S's and Immelmans until their crew-less jet ran out of gas. Stupid trons. :D

Brett

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Ha! See what they get for having an "electric jet" ;) Should'a warned them to carry a bag of microwave popcorn and back off a bit from the mighty fighting drumstick when it started to pop.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Since this was a Prowler thread, this one time...at band camp...I inadvertently pointed my jamming beam on a nearby Hornet and both crew members spontaneously combusted. The heat from the conflagration caused spurious inputs to their DFCS that made their jet do a repeating series of split S's and Immelmans until their crew-less jet ran out of gas. Stupid trons. :D

Brett

Touche.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
My Prowler question: How do those airplanes go so fast with those little, tiny propellers slung under the wings ???

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's the same principle as the hover board in Back to the Future. They just put out so much EM, they repel the Earth's gravitational field and those little props pull them along.

billiken2002

pilot
Hey all,

No joke, I was on cruise with the guy that took those videos. In fact, I was in the other Prowler (the one that he flies underneath). We were doing a low level and a bird hit smack in the radome....so on our way back to Whidbey his jet flew around ours to check out the damage. He got some great footage coming back from 1350 and 1351.

We were allowed to look at the displays during the flight, but had to turn them off if we were videotaping.

But yeah, that cruise was awesome. And I was with him on that section low level, but it ended a little early because of our little birdstrike:(

ATCSDav

Brett327 said:

Brett

One of my favorite things to do when there was still manual steering for the pods.....radome on the deck troubleshooting....freak out the snipes out for some sun on the flight deck....follow them as the walked along....

And Bombs over Baghdad Productions, complete with squadron, rank AND name? CLASSIC!!!!