• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gps

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
I'm thinking it's time I got myself a good hand held GPS both for work use and home. Any one have any suggestions?

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Garmin GSMAP 60 csx
Everything you need in one unit including a large color screen and expandable memory. Make sure to buy the optional road and topographical software. Don't spend money on the car mount though...a 99 cent suction hook from Walmart works better.

b137450.jpg

llnick2001

pilot
Any idea how it compares with the 76 series? From what I can tell, the only real difference is the 76 floats. Also, has anyone had any experience using a hand held in the sand box?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any idea how it compares with the 76 series? From what I can tell, the only real difference is the 76 floats. Also, has anyone had any experience using a hand held in the sand box?

The 60C series floats - mine has a couple times. I've enjoyed it and it's a great all purpose unit, but if you're going to get it primarily for driving, I'd go with one with a bigger screen, as the 60C series can be a bit hard to read when it's on your dash. Other than that, I have no complaints.

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^ I wonder how much the government paid for those POS units. I know some of the Teams guys use Garmin E-Trex.

Brett

llnick2001

pilot
OK, I'll be more specific. Has anyone used commercially available receivers over there and have recommendations as a result?

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
OK, I'll be more specific. Has anyone used commercially available receivers over there and have recommendations as a result?

Really depends on exactly what you intend to do with one. If you're not in the business of walking around on the ground, then they probably have minimal utility. I had a Garmin Forerunner 201 that I used to track my running distances, and would carry with me in an inside flight suit pocket as a backup to my PRC-112B. Exactly how knowing my precise lat long with no map and no radio was going to help me get anywhere or do anything was never clear, but I figured it couldn't hurt.

If you're wondering whether the environment is particuarly rough on one brand of unit vs another - not that I noticed. I knew a number of folks with Garmin E-Trexs and they worked fine.

If you're wondering whether the ionosphere is different over there, it's about the same.... :)

Rubiks06

pilot
I have a garmin E-trex vista Cx. Its great. You can do just about anything with it. You can upload topo maps and even set it up to give you turn by turn instructions to a large variety of places. My wife was looking for a yarn store and the damn thing found it.

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
If you are talking just flying stuff, the Garmin commercial gear works great. We used them all over Iraq and even relied on them for our Recce missions since I never really trusted that on-board system. Heck, I could even use it for Reverse GCI by hooking myself and giving bullseye to me.

Of course, it didn't stop me from a Hot Dog Red call. . . with CAG in the back seat. Oh well.

I've had a Garmin E-Trex for several years now. Pretty unfriendly overall BUT very accurate and works well for the basics in the woods, ocean or my beloved Chesapeake.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you're wondering whether the ionosphere is different over there, it's about the same....

There are other issues, however. An interesting article in Proceedings a year or so back talked a lot about it. Not to say it's not a good thing to have in your vest.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In summary, there was a lot of documented interference or potential localized interference and that relying on a non-DOD spec system had the potential to cause problems. Obviously individual's mileage may vary. This was all UNCLAS and in Proceedings.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
In summary, there was a lot of documented interference or potential localized interference and that relying on a non-DOD spec system had the potential to cause problems. Obviously individual's mileage may vary. This was all UNCLAS and in Proceedings.

The referenced article was from the Oct 2005 issue. It's an interesting read, but not analytically well-grounded. The author used a software tool to compare (simulated) performance of two (simulated) receivers in three (simulated) RF environments. (Detect a trend here...?)

His conclusion was essentially that the military receiver performed better in a GPS jamming environment. Yeah, I'll buy that - I also fit a conclusion like that into the "blinding glimpse of the obvious" bucket. It's also not relevant to the situation in Iraq or Afghanistan. Interestingly, the author makes no citations or examples of real-world cases where civil GPS units in theater had issues - his is a purely hypothetical piece.

I think the takeaway is that for safety of flight/life applications, you should stick with the mil issue. For backup/interest/entertainment, I don't see an issue with using civil systems.

BTW, the Garmin 60CSX is the shiznit. You have to pony up extra $$ for the map reference base (not that it would help you any in Iraq), but it's a great tool/toy.