• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gps

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The referenced article was from the Oct 2005 issue. It's an interesting read, but not analytically well-grounded. The author used a software tool to compare (simulated) performance of two (simulated) receivers in three (simulated) RF environments. (Detect a trend here...?)

His conclusion was essentially that the military receiver performed better in a GPS jamming environment. Yeah, I'll buy that - I also fit a conclusion like that into the "blinding glimpse of the obvious" bucket. It's also not relevant to the situation in Iraq or Afghanistan. Interestingly, the author makes no citations or examples of real-world cases where civil GPS units in theater had issues - his is a purely hypothetical piece.

I think the takeaway is that for safety of flight/life applications, you should stick with the mil issue. For backup/interest/entertainment, I don't see an issue with using civil systems.

BTW, the Garmin 60CSX is the shiznit. You have to pony up extra $$ for the map reference base (not that it would help you any in Iraq), but it's a great tool/toy.

I wondered about that. Couldnt' access the article from home, but "knowing what I know" about GPS signals and the FX of jamming, I would have a difficult time buying the premise.

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think the takeaway is that for safety of flight/life applications, you should stick with the mil issue. For backup/interest/entertainment, I don't see an issue with using civil systems.

Totally with you on that. Wasn't trying to argue that civilian units aren't valuable. 2005? Sheesh, didn't realize it had been that long. Didn't really remember the details.

As for "applicable in (theatre)..." Too bad there's not a SIPR version available to all. I heard a story or two from a VQ(p) guy. Don't know how much BS it was, but it was interesting. Sadly, I guess that's all I have to say about that.

Brett1

Banned
I have one on my turbo busa because the speedo is so inaccurate.

topspeedkx0.jpg

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I wondered about that. Couldnt' access the article from home, but "knowing what I know" about GPS signals and the FX of jamming, I would have a difficult time buying the premise.
Unfortunately, USNI has not posted that piece on the web, and since HeyJoe has edumacated me with great knowledges concerning intellectual property law, I won't even post a good link to the (improperly cited) article. However, if you were to cut and paste the title of the article in Google (Mixed Signals: Using Civil GPS Receivers in Combat), the first hit you would get would have the full text of the article about halfway down in the discussion. But you didn't hear that from me....

Since we're treading on thin security ice here in the open Internet, I will post a couple of things in the SIPR "Analyst Forum" concerning this topic. If you have SIPR access, take a look - from the Intelink home page at the bottom right, click "Analyst Forum"; I will post a message in there titled something like "Airwarriors Bellringer: GPS & Jamming". Some interesting stuff, but nothing too earthshattering. (I won't get to it until probably Thursday, so all you SIPR geeks will have to keep your pants cinched up for the time being...)

As a minor threadjack, one of the best Powerpoint slides I ever saw showed a picture of a GPS Block IIR satellite and a hairdryer. The text said "Power output: ~1200 watts each." Gives you a sense of how little power satellites have to work with, and just how weak the GPS signal is by the time it hits your receiver. Curse that R-squared law!!! <geek mode off>

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
WRT SIPR, the EAWS SIPR site (Prowler Weapons School, for the unwashed)now has a forum on it. It hasn't had much use yet, but I intend to change that. Sign on at: www.eaws.smil.mil and click on the forum tab.

BTW, Flyinspy, Jelly says hi!

Brett

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
BTW, Flyinspy, Jelly says hi!

Tell him to check this month's Tailhook if he hasn't already seen it, under the CVWR-20 update. We're famous!!

Too bad I'll miss Tailhook this year; otherwise I'd be glad to sign copies...

phrogpilot73

I used a basic Garmin E-Trex on deployment and it worked well. How do you think a FAC converts so damn quickly from Lat/Long to Grid and back??

And for the record - the PLGR is not a total POS. For one, it interfaces with the Viper/Vector and will allow you to get a 10 digit grid coordinate of a target downrange.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I used a basic Garmin E-Trex on deployment and it worked well. How do you think a FAC converts so damn quickly from Lat/Long to Grid and back??

And for the record - the PLGR is not a total POS. For one, it interfaces with the Viper/Vector and will allow you to get a 10 digit grid coordinate of a target downrange.

What is this grid you speak of? :D

Brett

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I second the Garmin 60cx series. I've had mine for two years now and it's very accurate and reliable. I've used it driving (thought it isn't built for that, it does have some street nav capability) and hiking. Very nice unit. They should be cheaper now too, being a few years old. Garmin makes a very nice product.

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
To resurrect an old thread, does anyone have any recommendations on handheld GPS units? I'm debating between the eTrex and the 60 series. I found out I'm going to Infantry Officers Course, so it'll be used for hiking around the lovely woods of Quantico, then Afghanistan. From Garmin's website it looks like the eTrex is compatible with MGRS system. I know it's a dumb question, but in order to get a 8 or 10 digit grid, I need a GPS that works on the MGRS system correct? Is the eTrex pretty easy to use? I ask because the 60 series looks like it's easier to use and a little more user friendly. Thanks in advance for the advice.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a Garmin 60CSx that I will be backing up with a Foretrex 401 (as soon as we get them). The 60CSx has worked better than any GPS I've ever used. It worked inside an airliner all the way to Afghanistan, it worked inside an MRAP, and it has worked in every chopper I've had the displeasure of flying in. Don't bother paying for the Garmin maps. There are free topo maps online - http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/ The Afghan-specific ones are controlled and harder to come by, but the S-2 can probably help out. If you go with the 60CSx, I recommend getting the Blade-Tech case for it. Straps to your molle gear and protects it really well. Get an Invisishield screen cover too.

As for the 401, a LOT of guys on the ground run around with these (and since it matters to some gear queer clowns, a lot of the ODA guys had them too). They are lightweight, rugged, and are a handy quick-ref for your pos. Strap them on to your wrist or the shoulder strap of a plate carrier.

ps, phrogpilot - You're showing your age. We don't use the VIPER or the PLGR anymore. VECTOR/DAGR is the new iteration. I think all the PLGRs are at DRMO and I've never actually seen a VIPER in person.

/FAC perspective

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
We still use the hell out of the PLGR in the Army, although they are slowly being replaced.

To add my $.02. I've had an etrex for quite some time now. It's been everywhere with me, from Kuwait/Iraq to riding my motorcycle around the midwest. It's served its purpose well, and I've never had a problem with it. To answer your question about the MGRS information on the GPS. Most of the Garmin handhelds I've dealt with will allow you to display your position up to 10 digits without a problem. Like squeeze, my etrex worked wonderfully inside of my HET while on the road, and while taking chopper hops between bases. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. Really, they both sound like great devices, and it will likely just come down to personal preference on your part.