• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gps

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Any usefulness for these in the cockpit? I've watched the aviation specific versions of these for years but can't see myself forking over the dough. Street nav is useless to me...google maps on my iPhone can get me anywhere I need to go.

jtmedli

pilot
I have one on my turbo busa because the speedo is so inaccurate.

topspeedkx0.jpg

Yikes..turning the numbers much?

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
I have a Garmin 60CSx that I will be backing up with a Foretrex 401 (as soon as we get them). The 60CSx has worked better than any GPS I've ever used. It worked inside an airliner all the way to Afghanistan, it worked inside an MRAP, and it has worked in every chopper I've had the displeasure of flying in. Don't bother paying for the Garmin maps. There are free topo maps online - http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/ The Afghan-specific ones are controlled and harder to come by, but the S-2 can probably help out. If you go with the 60CSx, I recommend getting the Blade-Tech case for it. Straps to your molle gear and protects it really well. Get an Invisishield screen cover too.

As for the 401, a LOT of guys on the ground run around with these (and since it matters to some gear queer clowns, a lot of the ODA guys had them too). They are lightweight, rugged, and are a handy quick-ref for your pos. Strap them on to your wrist or the shoulder strap of a plate carrier.

ps, phrogpilot - You're showing your age. We don't use the VIPER or the PLGR anymore. VECTOR/DAGR is the new iteration. I think all the PLGRs are at DRMO and I've never actually seen a VIPER in person.

/FAC perspective

This is probably a retarded question, but the 60CSx allowed you to get accurate grid positions or where you only able to get positions in lat/long? Also do the topo maps come in meters or is everything in ft?

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Though I've never flown a military aircraft with a Garmin handheld, I can say that flying with the Garmin stuff on the civilian side has been wonderful. There's nothing better than hitting that GPS Direct button, and having satellite weather, traffic, and XM Radio all in one unit. It's almost like cheating. The only thing that would make it better is if it could be coupled to the A/P.

Addition: Be prepared to sell your first born child to acquire a new one of these. Or, make friends with a Garmin employee.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is probably a retarded question, but the 60CSx allowed you to get accurate grid positions or where you only able to get positions in lat/long? Also do the topo maps come in meters or is everything in ft?

Every Garmin GPS I've ever used has the option for MGRS, so I typically run around with it that way. To convert, you just change the coordinate units on the setup page.

I don't recall what unit the elevation on the maps is in. I think it's feet, but I use it more to see the contour interval. They may change with whatever units you select, but I don't know. No one talks elevation in meters anyhow. And before you ask, no, it won't do HAE - that would be silly.

ryan1234

Though I've never flown a military aircraft with a Garmin handheld, I can say that flying with the Garmin stuff on the civilian side has been wonderful. There's nothing better than hitting that GPS Direct button, and having satellite weather, traffic, and XM Radio all in one unit. It's almost like cheating. The only thing that would make it better is if it could be coupled to the A/P.

Addition: Be prepared to sell your first born child to acquire a new one of these. Or, make friends with a Garmin employee.

Had a chance to screw around with a Garmin 696 in the kneeboard configuration - wow!! just wow!! I can't think of anything that it can't do. Want an approach plate - bam, done... want XM weather done...

" If the current approach is known, the 696 automatically selects the correct chart based on the flight plan. When in IFR map mode, the 696 can display victor airways, jet routes, minimum enroute altitude and leg distance, much like found on paper enroute charts."

it's just pretty cool.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Had a chance to screw around with a Garmin 696 in the kneeboard configuration - wow!! just wow!! I can't think of anything that it can't do. Want an approach plate - bam, done... want XM weather done...

" If the current approach is known, the 696 automatically selects the correct chart based on the flight plan. When in IFR map mode, the 696 can display victor airways, jet routes, minimum enroute altitude and leg distance, much like found on paper enroute charts."

it's just pretty cool.

I've seen them, but I've never had hands on one, nor do I wish to sell one of my kidneys to be able to afford one. Maybe one of these days :)

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
the 60CSx allowed you to get accurate grid positions or where you only able to get positions in lat/long?

The 60Csx will auto-convert to MGRS for you. You can set it as the default, if that's your thing, too.

Having tried dozens of handheld GPS units in hiking, car, bike, boat, and aviation applications (Geocaching; yes, I'm a nerd): Garmin is the best all around package. The Delorme's have some nice features and the best accuracy, but the Garmins are way easier to update and get info on and off. A bit more user-friendly, too. The Magellan's have poor user interfaces and are renown for lackluster accuracy.

I use a Garmin 60CSx for just about everything, have a Nuvi 1490 in the car, and (if I had the money for my own) a 696 for the airplane.

FYI, the newer Garmin models like the Dakota and Colorado use the same receiver and algorithms as the 60CSx, so you're paying for the touchscreen and internal memory capacity. Save a lot of coin by going with the 60.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor