• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ground Jobs

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, HS doesnt' really have an IP qual. It is very similar to what Brett said, but obviously no NFO.

The Stinkster

Now who do I blame?
pilot
That was part of my point too...each community does it just a little different, but as you get to the end of the game, the rules are the same. If your not the MO or the OPS O at the end of your dh tour.....you won't be a CO either!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, HS doesnt' really have an IP qual. It is very similar to what Brett said, but obviously no NFO.

Same same for HSL.

Brett327 said:
They wont be the best, they'll be the only skippers. No DH screens for command without getting their ticket punched in one of those two billets. I can't say that I agree with much of what you have to say. Honestly, in a busy squadron, the AMO and MMCO concern themselves very little with the minutiae of any one division or personnel management. While I do agree that there might be an initially steep learning curve for a new DIVO, the notion that he's just a figurehead who lets his CPO do the real work doesn't really reflect the reality of the fleet.

Brett

And to piggy back on that thought, it doesn't work for LAMPS while deployed, either, since the "maintenance divo" also happens to be the MO, the MMCO, and the QAO. Still, you're pretty reliant on your chief.

As for the QAO being the uber-pilot... I can see why you're saying that, but I don't think it's always the case. In fact, before I left, I think I FCF'ed more than the QAO did. But maybe I'm just remembering it wrong. Either way, FCFs were responsible for me getting out of plenty of useless training and AOMs. :)

VS FO

pilot
None
Natops Check

Brett,

I was curious to see you say NFO's give the pilot's their Natops check. Does this include evaluating stalls, circus landings, etc. or is it just the systems/weapons portion of the annual check? Is any portion of the pilot Natops check done with another pilot in the sim or even possibly from the right seat in the jet?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
VS FO said:
Brett,

I was curious to see you say NFO's give the pilot's their Natops check. Does this include evaluating stalls, circus landings, etc. or is it just the systems/weapons portion of the annual check? Is any portion of the pilot Natops check done with another pilot in the sim or even possibly from the right seat in the jet?
Our NATOPS checks don't include things like stalls and falls, but we do usually do circus landings and performance is all evaluated by an ECMO NATOPS I. Now theoretically, if you were doing a check in the sim, you could have a pilot on pilot instructor, but our community really doesn't make any distinction on how many anchors the instructor has in that respect. When the new Cat Is go through the RAG, they have a pilot in the right seat for their first few flights, but after that, they'll never fly with a pilot again (although I have heard stories of 3-4 pilots in one jet for logistic reasons - scary!), and all the remaining instruction in the RAG and in the fleet will come from ECMO instructors. Your top notch fleet ECMOs are going to be up on every aspect of what their pilots (especially nuggets) are doing and will give guidance on flight control technique as well. I'm curious as to how that differs in the VS community.

Brett

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The VS Community is a fair bit different. Pilots do Pilot stuff, NFO's do NFO stuff. Very little meeting in the middle.

In the VS Community, the Pilot Checkrides are given by pilots only. NFO Front seat NATOPS Checks are given by a pilot and back seat NATOPS Checks are given by an NFO. In the VS FRS Pilots fly with other pilots in the right seat during FAMS, FORMS (not all), TANKING, DCM, BOMBING. The rest of the flights are flown with NFO's in the right. VS Pilots at the FRS CQ with an NFO in the right seat.

Generally I have found that the pilots in the VS Community would not be overly welcoming to an NFO giving a critique of the pilots flying.

S.O.B.

pilot
HooverPilot said:
The VS Community is a fair bit different. Pilots do Pilot stuff, NFO's do NFO stuff. Very little meeting in the middle.

In the VS Community, the Pilot Checkrides are given by pilots only. NFO Front seat NATOPS Checks are given by a pilot and back seat NATOPS Checks are given by an NFO. In the VS FRS Pilots fly with other pilots in the right seat during FAMS, FORMS (not all), TANKING, DCM, BOMBING. The rest of the flights are flown with NFO's in the right. VS Pilots at the FRS CQ with an NFO in the right seat.

Generally I have found that the pilots in the VS Community would not be overly welcoming to an NFO giving a critique of the pilots flying.

I’ve heard NFO’s fly and land the S3 all the time? I know a guy that did the pilot transition and he said he had a ton of stick time. I guess their just not NIs or ANIs.

ip568

None
Say "Needs of the service" 500 times.

When I reported to my first squadron I was assigned the following:

1. Ground Support Branch Officer
2. Crew One Patrol Plane Navigator (PPRN)
3. Coffee Mess Officer
4. Morale Officer
5. Condom Contol Officer (that's a story in itself)

Your mileage may vary.

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
After all the "aviate, navigate, communicate" stuff is over for the day, there is still a lot of work to be done to make a squadron run. Maintenance DIVO jobs are great...as long as you're willing to do the evals/counseling/award/mast work that's required. As MMCO, I had total interest in up jets and zero interest in what counseling month it was or who's headed to mast this week....that's LT Snotface's job...and I assume since he has a degree and a warfare qual he is capable of doing it. Advise him...yes, and frequently...do his job for him...nope.

Other great jobs for junior officers...PAO for sure. Skeds O for the OPS inclined. And nowadays don't forget Safety...JO's make great ORM queens. Finally don't forget mess treasurer. Few compliments, but everyone complains when the popcorn and the sodas run out...plus major viz with CO/XO for "quality" wardroom events and overseas admins...and often a chance to get off the boat early to set something up.

Bottom line...CO's/XO's and DH's presume if you're wearing the wings you can fly and that you're motivated to execute the T&R syllabus as fast as you can so you can get the requisite quals...but there always watching for which officers are willing to pick up a stick and enter the real fray...leading young men and women and innovating in a large and sometimes ponderous bureaucracy.

Paddles

You need to have at least 2 of the following traits to be successful in Naval Aviation:
1. Good Pilot
2. Good at your Ground Job
3. Good guy to hang out with at the bar / ready room

All 3 is a bonus (and you'll go far), but just 1 is not enough.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HooverPilot said:

It's interesting how different the community's approach to things can be so different. I would have thought that the VS NFOs, who have their own set of flight controls (however often they're used), would have more "street cred" in the co-pilot domain. I suppose that our 3:1 ratio in VAQ must have had a strong influence on how the different aircrew roles evolved.

@ Paddles: Great succinct way to sum up what a JO should focus on!

Brett

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
ip568 said:
5. Condom Contol Officer
My first couple of deployments back in the 1985-88 time frame, the Flight Surgeon or one of his Corpsman always came went out to the planes and mounted large boxes of condoms on the bulkhead next to the box of foamy ear protectors prior to any detachment. They also ensured there was an ample supply at the BOQ & BEQ so anyone heading out would have them readily available.

Westpac was always a blast...."smiles" in Cubi...."foamies" in Pattaya......:D

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
Westpac was always a blast...."smiles" in Cubi...."foamies" in Pattaya......:D[/QUOTE]

Sabailand...Sabai Room...Sabailand....Sabai Room...repeat as necessary!

IFT2O

Drinkin' Beer w/ your mom
2 Klosters for the Utopau express... A Double @ Sabia Land... then off to Marine Disco(no longer) and Marilyn's! And those late night strolls thru Boys Town... oop! did I say that out loud? :tongue2_1