• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hangar One - Alameda

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
My last tour in the Navy was VA-304 Firebirds located in Hangar One at NAS Alameda. Alameda shut down in the mid-90's and there's been a fight over the use of the base ever since.

However, if ever there was an appropriate reuse of a Navy hangar, this is it:

It's now a vodka distillery complete with a tasting room. Some of you west coasters need to visit and provide a report.

www.hangarone.com

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
One of my former squadronmates visited and said our welcoming sign of "Greetings from the Firebirds" on the flight line side of the hangar has been left intact. Nice touch by the new owners.

We're hoping to have a Firebird reunion there later this year.

phrogpilot73

One of my former squadronmates visited and said our welcoming sign of "Greetings from the Firebirds" on the flight line side of the hangar has been left intact. Nice touch by the new owners.

We're hoping to have a Firebird reunion there later this year.
What are the laws about one of the West Coast guys buying me some and shipping it to me? Looks like it would be a neat bottle of Vodka to have on display at home...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flew in there a lot as an out/in from VF-124 when I was a RAG instructor. Also deployed more than once out of there. People used to drop flowers on the flight deck as we went under the Golden Gate Bridge...truckers would honk their horns...cool memories just prior to DS/DS time frame. :)

I liked flying in there and just clearing a ship's mast to land on the runway...very cool approach. :icon_smil

I always thought downtown was too far away from the base. :eek:

Who knows what they'd do now if we went under the bridge... :(

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
The VFR entry was probably the most scenic ever. Cross the Golden Gate Bridge eastbound at 1300 feet (to stay above helos and below commercial traffic), remain at 1300' eastbound and fly close abeam the city, remain inside Alcatraz and turn south inside Treasure Island, fly south abeam the city to turn eastbound again to set up for a 3 mile initial for the break.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Next time I go home I'll stop by and check it out.

Also, this (along with lots of other rare/good alcohols) are available for order from Beverages & More http://www.bevmo.com

Pugs

Back from the range
None
The VFR entry was probably the most scenic ever. Cross the Golden Gate Bridge eastbound at 1300 feet (to stay above helos and below commercial traffic), remain at 1300' eastbound and fly close abeam the city, remain inside Alcatraz and turn south inside Treasure Island, fly south abeam the city to turn eastbound again to set up for a 3 mile initial for the break.

Yep, did that several times coming back in from doing Pro A's out of the Depot every time thinking "this is way too cool to be legal"

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Yep, did that several times coming back in from doing Pro A's out of the Depot every time thinking "this is way too cool to be legal"

It was like being on the world's most expensive sightseeing flight (expensive to the taxpayers). That's a great way to say it, and you are right on the money. Every time we cruised over the Golden Gate and Bay Bridges and right up against the Transamerica building at 1300', I probably thought the same thing. Way too cool to be legal (didn't we think that about the VR-1355 and Olangapo too?).

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The VFR entry was probably the most scenic ever. .....
We did it (once) with a four plane @ 450 KIAS @ the numbers .... the NAS station CO was not impressed. Maybe 'cause we were a little wide in the turns ... ???

We looked good, however, according to the troops ... :)