• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hangar One - Alameda

Recidivist

^^ true, but the hangar 1 doesn't taste like rubbing alcohol and leave you feeling like a rock concert is going on IN your head

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
I lived on base when my pops was on the Lincoln back in '90-'92. I loved watching those Tomcats buzz the neighborhood. Well, except at night. I went back 2 yrs ago. Definitely not the same place I remember. Can you say "ghetto?"

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
I lived on base when my pops was on the Lincoln back in '90-'92.

Fezz, I was there '92-'93. Outside the main gate was a ghetto then. Oakland was worse. Alameda was quite a place from which to watch the Oakland Hills fires, as I'm sure you remember.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Yea, outside the main gate could get pretty ghetto. I cant believe my dad made us walk to George P. Miller AND Chipman Middle. But I loved walking on the old train tracks. Was the Oakland hill fires when ashes were falling almost all day? Cant remember.

Carno

Insane
Ordered two bottles, Frasier River Raspberry (only available in the spring, apparently) and Kaffir Lime.

Haven't opened the Kaffir Lime yet, but the Frasier River Raspberry is pretty good. Definitely tastes like raspberries, but it isn't overpowering. Makes good mixed drinks.

phrogpilot73 - I ordered my bottles from Caddellwilliams. Good customer service. Don't know what the laws are concerning North Carolina, but I had no problems getting it to Florida.

Just figured I'd share my experience.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 87

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks for posting this, I just ordered a bottle.

Can't wait to give this a try when I get back.

HANGAR ONE TOMCAT
Cocktail shaker
Crushed ice
2 oz. Hangar One Kaffir Lime vodka
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 fresh lime
double old fashioned glass
1 stick of sugar cane
Mix vodka, lime and sugar in shaker filled with
ice. Shake and wait 30 seconds then shake
again for a second icing. Add ice to double old
fashioned glass, add sugar cane stick, slice of lime. Pour into glass and enjoy.

navyao

I was aboard Enterprise for the 89' - 90' world cruise and spent about 6 months on station at Alameda. Luckily, I had no car at the time, I was an 18 year-old Airman. We did use the BART quite a bit and would go to San Jose quite a bit. A buddy of mine talked me into going to Berkley once. I was more culture shocked after Berkley and peoples park then I was after my first peso show in Magsaysay! I loved the base though, great place. It had the "old" look but still fairly modern. The Marine barracks was cool and the bowling alley had awesome chili!

When I went to VF-114 they flew us from Miramar to Alameda for the Lincolns maiden cruise. That had to be the best ride I've ever had on a C-9. From about 1300 ASL we dove for the initial approach; at one point I think we were weight less. All of a sudden were at the close in and the wheels are on deck - amazing. Listening to you guys that fly/flew fast movers into Alameda, that had to have been a blast.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Wow, reminds me of my Dependents Cruise on the Lincoln back when it was homeport in Alameda. I was 11, there were clowns in the hangar bay, and I threw up. But I got to watch Tomcats do some cowboy flying on the flight deck and meeting my dads friends who were pilots and RIOs. Great memories. Its too bad i didnt know what all the cool patches meant :)

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have finished off my Hanger One Vodka, and want to say thanks to intruder driver for posting the information. I really enjoyed it, and I am going to have to put some more on order, or find it here locally. I have also noticed the bottles prominently displayed in a couple bars here in Hawaii, good times!

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
I have finished off my Hanger One Vodka, and want to say thanks to intruder driver for posting the information. I really enjoyed it, and I am going to have to put some more on order, or find it here locally. I have also noticed the bottles prominently displayed in a couple bars here in Hawaii, good times!
Just email them to find a local distributor - they're actually really good about answering. They put out a newsletter w/ good offers in it as well.

Raptor2216

On a similar note, if any of you guys are wine connoisseur try Rosenblum winery right down the street from Hangar one. They have wine tasting and the wine is actually pretty damn good. If you pay something like 5 bucks, you can taste everything they have....which ends up being about 10 different wines. I didn't have time to stop by at Hangar one over leave this x-mas...next year for sure.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Just email them to find a local distributor - they're actually really good about answering. They put out a newsletter w/ good offers in it as well.
Fortunately I found it here locally, good times!:icon_smil

phrogpilot73

Maryland sucks. They legally can't ship it here, and no distributor that I've found has it. Looks like it's on the list of things to do when I eventually (if ever) make it to CA to refresh.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Try Bay Ridge Wine and Spirits in Annapolis if you get down that way. That was my favorite store when I was at USNA, has a huge selection, and had some pretty obscure bottles of stuff.