• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hangar queen

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Too much work theses days, we didn't have time for loundry.
Hopefully some friends of USAF gave us some closes..."

"That seat is so heavy that we had to take some rest (excuse us we are not on the pict we went to take a beer)"

"The good thing is that when everybody sleeps, i can use forbiden but usefull tools..."

His commentary is priceless, where do they keep the forbiden useful tools.

I keep my leatherman on my person - don't leave the ground w/o it. :D

Brett

navyao

I build model airplanes too, but not like this guy! Believe it or not some guys get paid to do this stuff; before their 65th birthday. It took me over a year to finish a 1/48 scale F-14D last winter; I just don't have time. Anyway, I was surfing some of the modeling web sights and came across this guys diorama. Needless to say I was impressed that's why I posted it here, so the pros could take a look at it. The AO and the Air Farce guys photo-shopped in the pics didn't make much sense, but whatever. I did notice the poor tool control however and had to laugh when you guys brought up the QASO comments. Last, weren't the fisties assigned to CVW-14 and Carl Vinson for a period in the mid-90's?

Super Hornet 88

navyao-Did you use the Hasegawa or Revell/Monogram F-14D? The Hasegawa kits are a pain in the a**, but the end result is worth it. Actually I think my next project might be the VF-101 last Tomcat demo a/c. I just got to finish all these Hornets....

-Dan

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There is a HUGE program (out of about 40 or so) in aviation maintenance called "Tool Control." The basic jist of which is to make sure you don't leave tools and such in/on the aircraft as FOD. After every maintenance action is done on an aircraft, there is a place on the MAF where someone signs off saying all tools are accounted for (as well as a bunch of other times during the day). So if someone cruises along and does their own maintenance w/ their own tool, loses it, and then causes a mishap, no one is able to account for it. Overall, a good system.

That said, I carry my Leatherman on my boot when on cross-countries.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I still carry a mini one on my keychain. After 9/11, I have to detach it for airline travel, but I have a leatherman of either size always within reach (except on airliners)
leatherman_supertool200.jpg

leatherman_squirt.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Its not. We can carry it in a pocket/somewhere on the flightsuit or have the PRs rig it into the vest we wear.

"Technically," you can't actually carry it in a pocket, even if it's etched. Just speaking technically. But right on about the vest though.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So if they're so useful, then why is it against regs to carry them?

You can carry them, but it is a pain in the butt. Generally you have to have the PR's etch it and tie it into your vest and then you are good to go. You are allowed up to 5 lbs of optional gear as long as it is properly installed.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can carry them, but it is a pain in the butt. Generally you have to have the PR's etch it and tie it into your vest and then you are good to go. You are allowed up to 5 lbs of optional gear as long as it is properly installed.

Agree that it's "technically" not allowed, but as with everything else you bring with you to the aircraft, you're kind of on the honor system.

Brett

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I still carry a mini one on my keychain. After 9/11, I have to detach it for airline travel, [/IMG]

I've carried one of these for a while.

https://secure.heinnie.com/swistec/utilkey.jpg

Not as useful a leatherman but it's not kept me from getting on an airliner yet and when I need a screwdriver or bottle opener it's there. To be fair I usually put my keys and Omega Speedmaster in my briefcase for the trip through X-ray and I guess they just can't tell it from the other keys.