• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hurricane IKE

busdriver

None
Last I heard, the CV-22s got turned back due to zero vis and 40' seas. Likewise the AF and CG 60s. And hundreds of dumb asses at Pt Bolivar have turned down evacuation.

HuggyU2

None
I grew up under the traffic pattern at Ellington Field. My dad always had us ride the storms out. My mom's still there, and won't leave. Looks like the eye will pass right over her. I'm getting updates from her.
She said the top of the Hilton there on Clear Lake blew off within the last hour.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I grew up under the traffic pattern at Ellington Field. My dad always had us ride the storms out. My mom's still there, and won't leave. Looks like the eye will pass right over her. I'm getting updates from her.
She said the top of the Hilton there on Clear Lake blew off within the last hour.

Huggy-
Hope all goes well for your Mom. I've got family in the area too, and they also have decided ride it out. I gotta question why so many people refuse to get the hell out of dodge - but I'm not in their shoes so I just pray that they do ok.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
TXCN (74 on Time Warner in CC) has pretty good coverage at the local level up there...better than the drive-by media, Geraldo shit on the other channels...

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
According to Stormpulse this thing is gonna be a Cat I all the way into Oklahoma. And the situation in Galveston is looking bad...real bad. Hope all goes well for those of you with friends and family in the region.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Was eating dinner at Landry's in P'cola tonight and saw those V-22s heading back to Hurlburt along the coast. Guess the rescue was a no-go?

HuggyU2

None
Huggy-
Hope all goes well for your Mom.
I heard the storm surge is 18'. I think the house is at 22', though. It sits right on the back gate of NASA about 2 miles inland from the water.
Galveston is without electricity, and flooding.

MasterBates

Well in other news, its been a fun weekend here in San Antonio, and I got another day and a half to go.

Ran into Ken_Gone_Flying on the riverwalk and had dinner with him and his fiancée before catching the last bus back to the PUMA

Flugelman

Contributor
Just heard on local news (Ch 5) here in DFW area that 20,000 stayed in Galveston. Insanity... :eek:

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
According to Stormpulse this thing is gonna be a Cat I all the way into Oklahoma. And the situation in Galveston is looking bad...real bad. Hope all goes well for those of you with friends and family in the region.
The power is already flickering here in Waco; I could have done without this bit of info! :icon_rage

Just heard on local news (Ch 5) here in DFW area that 20,000 stayed in Galveston. Insanity...
The Weather Channel said it was 40% of the population! :confused: I guess they must be a bit slow!:eek:

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I imagine a lot of people are still there because they honestly can't leave. One of my friends here at school is from the Houston area and even though her family is well inland and isn't worried about flooding, they are rightfully worried about the winds which are likely to be devastating for a long time. Apparently the traffic was just too terrible for them to get out and given TX's priority in getting the people on the coast out first (a good call given the evac problems seen with Rita) her family is going to ride it out. Definitely sucks.

I'm honestly more worried about the family of the other stash Ensign with me. He's from Brazoria county about 10 miles from the coast and while fortunately his family is moving right now and is out at their new house, everything they know and own is still near the coast. I'm praying for him, my other friend, and everyone who is about to get slammed.

BENDER

pilot
Not so bad here... yet, 20 miles south of Houston. Getting some pretty good gusts though.

Started with a pretty cool sunset, taken 2000
P8190358.jpg

Taken at 2020
P8190371.jpg

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
The tides are higher than normal but no flooding on or near any properties so far. You should be able to get everything you need at HEB. This has been a non-event as far as Corpus Christi is concerned.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I imagine a lot of people are still there because they honestly can't leave. One of my friends here at school is from the Houston area and even though her family is well inland and isn't worried about flooding, they are rightfully worried about the winds which are likely to be devastating for a long time. Apparently the traffic was just too terrible for them to get out and given TX's priority in getting the people on the coast out first (a good call given the evac problems seen with Rita) her family is going to ride it out. Definitely sucks.

I'm honestly more worried about the family of the other stash Ensign with me. He's from Brazoria county about 10 miles from the coast and while fortunately his family is moving right now and is out at their new house, everything they know and own is still near the coast. I'm praying for him, my other friend, and everyone who is about to get slammed.
I'm sorry for the people who are about to lose everything they own, you just can't help where you live sometimes. My heart goes out to them.

There is no reason to still be in Galveston! They have known for the better part of the week they were the prime target! All the hotels in Waco are full tonight, and people are opening their doors to welcome more. The people who stayed just weren’t thinking clearly. The weather Channel is expecting a breech in the sea wall for the first time since it was built, it's been prepare for IKE and yet those who stayed will be just like the Katrina people. SORRY THEY didn't leave!