• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC I fly 5 hours a month and I want out.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
?? It's basic T&R shit. Not sure if you're fucking with me or not.

So is this a recurring/annual type thing? I guess we technically have annual tactical check rides now, which went into effect after I left active duty (and the VFA community), but for us, flight lead qual was always a one and done (section and division) after completing the appropriate upgrade syllabus. Sorry was just busting your guys balls, I'm sure it makes sense in your communities

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
So is this a recurring/annual type thing? I guess we technically have annual tactical check rides now, which went into effect after I left active duty (and the VFA community), but for us, flight lead qual was always a one and done (section and division) after completing the appropriate upgrade syllabus. Sorry was just busting your guys balls, I'm sure it makes sense in your communities

It’s a normal one and done check ride (unless refreshing), and practically not used very often. We also don’t do annual tactical check rides, but I’m not entirely opposed to those either.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I think @Hotdogs covered it. It's one and done. Then, once you have to go back to the FRS to refresh after a B-billet, once you get your aircraft commander designation back(quick syllabus), then the CO can restore all of your previous flight leadership designations (SL/DL/AFL/AMC)..At least that's how it was. Not sure if that's changed or not.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
You should be concerned if you don't see hyd fluid dripping in the cabin...😆

haha I remember standing by my old, probably desert storm vet, hornet at an airshow. Shit was leaking all over the place, and they didn't have the standard catch cans that every Hornet flight line had positioned directly below both engines/AMADs. Some old lady asked me "is that bad?" pointing to the growing pool of red under each engine. I told her "ma'am, that's how I know it isn't empty". I don't think she was impressed with my program :) Jokes on her though, I successfully flew 200 nm back a week later after a rescue det replaced an APU and then after that didn't fix the engine start problem, a fuel control computer. Ha ha ha old lady

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
haha I remember standing by my old, probably desert storm vet, hornet at an airshow. Shit was leaking all over the place, and they didn't have the standard catch cans that every Hornet flight line had positioned directly below both engines/AMADs. Some old lady asked me "is that bad?" pointing to the growing pool of red under each engine. I told her "ma'am, that's how I know it isn't empty". I don't think she was impressed with my program :) Jokes on her though, I successfully flew 200 nm back a week later after a rescue det replaced an APU and then after that didn't fix the engine start problem, a fuel control computer. Ha ha ha old lady
Any maintenance recovery good deal depends on where you're at. El Centro..fuck that. Cebu, in the PI? Cool...(I wasn't on that one, but I heard good stories). Yuma Proving Ground...ugh. I think my HAC screwed the lot lizard bartender from the base club...so there's that. 😆

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Shit was leaking all over the place, and they didn't have the standard catch cans that every Hornet flight line had positioned directly below both engines/AMADs.

I was at a Dayton airshow one year and my 1986 Bravo was parked next to a 1-2 year old Sierra. If you knew what you were looking for, the Sierra looked slightly better in the paint department.

When the inevitable "how OLD is this aircraft" question came up and I said 1986, after the "wow" reaction, I then asked how old they thought the Sierra was.

"....1970's, I guess?"

Obviously that made me laugh, but then I explained that our paint wasn't for looks but for corrosion and optical suppression. I'm not sure they bought it.

Cebu, in the PI? Cool...

I had a very good time in Cebu. I even remember some of it.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
When the inevitable "how OLD is this aircraft" question came up

I'm almost sure I've told this story here before, but when I was a VMFAT-101 cone, we used to be voluntold to man these "hangar parties" in the wing hangar (or maybe it was ours? can't remember). They were normally alright, and culminated at the o club bar and pool at the end. But the static display standing was always something along the lines of "oh is this still a front line airplane?" "Yes you fucking cuckold, this one even shoots AMRAAM (they didn't all)"....and then I shoved them off the air stairs to their deaths. All was right in the world when I took my future fiancee to that hangar, and she looked at them, and said "they look scary and industrial" haha.....wtf. I've been doing this a pretty long time now, and she still has no idea what airplane I fly. Like if someone put a gun to her head, and said "tell us what MIDNJAC flies" shed say "P-8s". Somehow she thinks that is what everyone does, thanks stroller warriors :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've been doing this a pretty long time now, and she still has no idea what airplane I fly.

Yours isn't the only one. I did correct her early on about the difference between an airplane and an aircraft. But now that means I fly "aircrafts."

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
e used to be voluntold to man these "hangar parties" in the wing hangar (or maybe it was ours? can't remember). They were normally alright
IIRC they were mostly at the first hangar west of the tower that housed 3 X 53 squadrons. Can't remember what the hangar # was, but I think it was the biggest up and down the flightline.

I went to a few of them, but without a job to do, except mingle and eat free food and get free drinks...so yeah, not a bad deal. I'm sure the maint depts weren't really that high on them.

Every once in awhile there would be.a well-known band playing. I think Matchbox 20 was the biggest I saw

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
IIRC they were mostly at the first hangar west of the tower that housed 3 X 53 squadrons. Can't remember what the hangar # was, but I think it was the biggest up and down the flightline.

I went to a few of them, but without a job to do, except mingle and eat free food and get free drinks...so yeah, not a bad deal. I'm sure the maint depts weren't really that high on them.

Every once in awhile there would be.a well-known band playing. I think Matchbox 20 was the biggest I saw

Good memory, yeah I think that was the actual hangar. I think the best we ever got was something like the local OfficeMax regional staff. There were at least a few hotties :)

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Good memory, yeah I think that was the actual hangar. I think the best we ever got was something like the local OfficeMax regional staff. There were at least a few hotties :)
The one I heard that was epic was some kind of Dental organization, and there were a plethora of young dental hygienists getting loose on the dance floor. Urban legends and/ or maybe facts galore.😁