• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Individual Augmentee (IA) info & questions

phrogpilot73

Brett327 said:
Maybe this is a reserve thing, but how can a Naval Officer NOT have access to SIPR? That boggles the mind. That said, if you have a Secret clearance on file with DONCAF, you should be able to walk in to any SSO and get access - no secret handshake required.

Brett
TS/SCI here and I don't... At least not in garrison - for some reason the MEF limits the number of accounts battalions can have. However, I can get the deuce to let me on, which I try to do at least once a week. When on ship - got it all the time!

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
phrogpilot73 said:
TS/SCI here and I don't... At least not in garrison - for some reason the MEF limits the number of accounts battalions can have. However, I can get the deuce to let me on, which I try to do at least once a week. When on ship - got it all the time!
Exactly. Doesn't matter how high a clearance you have, each command can limit access to classified material as it sees fit. A clearance DOES NOT equal access. A lot of folks don't quite understand or understand why. DONCAF adjudicates your clearance; the CO grants your access. If command policy says you don't need access to SIPR, then you don't get access to SIPR.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
It seems like a lot of these IAs are just a commander needing a "woobie blanket".

"I need a WTI Major with TS/SCI for my OPT" = "I want somebody to explain what a GBU-12 is and stand night duty while keeping the coffee fresh"

"I need a SgtMaj who's a former DI for my CE" = "I need a responsible adult to supervise my 10 clerks and keep them from surfing the net all day"

Perhaps I'm just cynical, though. The IAs are getting crazy.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Steve Wilkins said:
Getting??

OK. They ARE crazy.

What I meant was, and if anybody on this forum is in charge of generating IAs, is that the unit getting the IA in theatre needs to ask for a capability and not a unit and/or specific person or description. Validating all of these IAs (which we get many, many of in Okinawa) is a painful process. It really p!sses people off when we find out that the superstar we were forced to give up wound up being somebodys clerk/typist/secretary and his talents were wasted once he got there.

Also, for those of you who are burning to get an IA and "get into the fight", good on you. I don't want to crush your smokes. It's always easier to fill these things with volunteers. However, the level of satisfaction and utility you'll derive from the experience is more than likely not going to match your expectations. Just picture your current job (ground job) in a different, sh!ttier building with no chicks, booze, or libbo. Hopefully the BS tours have been flushed out and all of what I said is no longer applicable, but I doubt it. I didn't do an IA, but everybody around me did (I went with my unit). Some of them are no-kidding "in the fight" kind of deals, but many of them are staff puke, strap-hanger, wastes of time. Or so I'm told. I'll happily go one if I'm told to, but I ain't raising my hand to get one.

As far as SIPR goes, depending on who your security manager is (and more importantly, the HHQ security manager), getting it can be a ROYAL pain the ass. Some guys (who typically don't understand the actual rules, but are afraid of going to prison) go all "James Bond-007" and lock the entire system behind a vault door 24/7, which makes actually using it too hard to be useful. The boat is easier, when it works. I had both SIPR and NIPR in my stateroom on my last float. I just had to change drives and cords.

I have both on my desk now. That said, you guys have guilted me into checking my SIPR instead of screwing around on this site all day.

s/f,

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Wonder if John could start a SIPR side airwarriors. As for me, just filling out the paper work for SIPR is too much work (yes, I am that lazy). That and I don't want to forget the drive in the computer like i've seen done. Too much ass pain. I'll just shark off my TACCO when she's on it. She's the MC anyhow, I'm just the PPC :)

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Apparently, nobody would have access.

Brett
With the draconian measures with OneNet (aka NoNet) and NMCI back in the states, I doubt you could put together a server that would pass their requirements. I recall an article a year or two ago about some marine (or army) bubbas that put together a forum on SIPR to post comments and exchange info on LL in the field. But it got squashed.

They have NKO on sipr, but I find it on both networks to be a poorly put together and difficult to navigate site (why didn't they stick to commercial OTS software?).

Brett, I can't wait to turn off my sipr account, so I can stop getting tasking emails :D

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
webmaster said:
Brett, I can't wait to turn off my sipr account, so I can stop getting tasking emails :D

If you don't check it, those taskers don't exist. Denial is a beautiful thing. Remember, the great thing about waiting until the last minute is........... it only takes a minute.

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
Harrier Dude said:
...However, the level of satisfaction and utility you'll derive from the experience is more than likely not going to match your expectations. Just picture your current job (ground job) in a different, sh!ttier building with no chicks, booze, or libbo. Hopefully the BS tours have been flushed out and all of what I said is no longer applicable, but I doubt it. I didn't do an IA, but everybody around me did (I went with my unit). Some of them are no-kidding "in the fight" kind of deals, but many of them are staff puke, strap-hanger, wastes of time...

Yeah, I wish there was a way to filter the crappy IAs before volunteering. I thought I might have been able to go on some patrols and whatnot with that EWO billet, so I was pretty cool with that. If I wasn't in the field I don't think I'd like it much...words like "joint" and "staff" cause me to vomit a little bit in my mouth.

I'm going to keep my eyes open, but I'm kinda worried that the next IA that becomes available might be like a year in Gitmo as the toilet paper supply officer. :irked_125

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ahh, but see, now that you've volunteered for one IA you are prime meat for the next one that comes along regardless of where it. I think this is why a lot of folks are not openly volunteering for these IA billets. There are certainly a lot of folks out there who have nothing better to do than go. And that's great. However, there's no system to process those volunteers. So nobody wants to raise there hand and volunteer for them when there is a strong possibility that they will be tagged with an undesirable billet.

I think it's human nature. People want to have an input....a choice. If today, they listed all the IA billets on the PERS website that need filled in the next six months and offered them to anyone Navy wide (so long as they met rate/rank requirements), I imagine that they'd have very little problem filling the billets with qualified people. In fact, I bet for many of the billets, getting them would have to involve a competitive process due to the number of interested people. However, people don't want to volunteer for a Gitmo billet because if they don't get it, they know they've just opened themselves up for Afghanistan, Djibouti, Iraq or someplace else they don't want to go....and vice versa for people such as yourself. It's a shame.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Harrier Dude said:
If you don't check it, those taskers don't exist. Denial is a beautiful thing. Remember, the great thing about waiting until the last minute is........... it only takes a minute.
Until "they" come hunt you down (Office Space style... "um, did you get the memo?")....

And unfortunately, that minute work may get it off your desk, but as mentioned in one of the earlier posts on a separate thread (I didn't kill the monkey).... and it will come back with a whole bunch of RFIs.... oh well, only 6 more weeks of this cubicle and back to the aircraft :D

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
webmaster said:
With the draconian measures with OneNet (aka NoNet) and NMCI back in the states, I doubt you could put together a server that would pass their requirements. I recall an article a year or two ago about some marine (or army) bubbas that put together a forum on SIPR to post comments and exchange info on LL in the field. But it got squashed.

They have NKO on sipr, but I find it on both networks to be a poorly put together and difficult to navigate site (why didn't they stick to commercial OTS software?).

NMCI and OneNet, what the heck are they? (I actually am serious about OneNet, I have never heard of it) One of the few things that is nice about working in DC is the amount of access one has to the really nice networks, I hardly ever use SIPR.

As for access to Navy stuff, when you are a minority service at a place where people in uniform are in the minority, all that 'Navy' stuff goes by the wayside. I am proud to say that I have never logged onto NMCI, ever. Someone at work was complaining about it though because they had to download it into their home computer, he is a reservist and has to do stuff at home and that requires NMCI. Well his computer crashed minutes after downloading the programs to run NMCI and it would not allow him to access the internet or use Word. It is now in the shop. What a friggin waste.......

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
What you say:

"I'm Lt. Johnson, and I'd like to volunteer for an IA with a combat unit in either Iraq or Afganistan, preferably one in the field and not in HOA or Gitmo"

What they hear:

"Lt. Johnson Blah Blah Blah volunteer for an IA Blah Blah Blah either Iraq Blah Blah Blah HOA or Gitmo"