• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Iran seeking Su-30 fighters and Il-78 tankers

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Okay, okay you got me. That is what I get for being lazy and just skimming the link.........:eek:.....and for not expecting a bunch of old farts to jump all over me........;)

You been away from the Ready Room that long....or the bar?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nothing to quibble over....I agree. Anytime we got near the Kola Peninsula and even planned strikes, nobody was keen on seeing the balloon go up. What I didn't agree with was comparing results of Vietnam to a Soviet encounter as one case had so many restrictions that did not give a true comparison whereas the other would be more evenly matched.

Back to thread, more reporting on the Su-30 buy rumor

Like I said before, they don't have the money..........:eek:

SA-10/20's would be a much more prudent and economical buy, that would make Tehran just as bad as the Kola Peninsula........:(

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Like I said before, they don't have the money..........:eek:

SA-10/20's would be a much more prudent and economical buy, that would make Tehran just as bad as the Kola Peninsula........:(

I'll pass. Just like trying to take down the Kirov, the sea going Battlestar with no terrain masking in sight. Electronic Attack is my friend!!

That said, perhaps the Iranians are seeding the story in light of the announced mega sale to Saudi Arabia and the big boost (guaranteed for 10 years) that Condy just promised to the Israelis to stay quiet.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nothing to quibble over....I agree. Anytime we got near the Kola Peninsula and even planned strikes, nobody was keen on seeing the balloon go up. What I didn't agree with was comparing results of Vietnam to a Soviet encounter as one case had so many restrictions that did not give a true comparison whereas the other would be more evenly matched.

Back to thread, more reporting on the Su-30 buy rumor

Sorry to beat this 'mort-horse'. Perhaps we need to split the thread…or maybe, just shoot the horse.

While inane "restrictions" may have regrettably shackled our Vietnam War effort strategically for most of its duration, most (albeit not quite all) restrictions were finally and thankfully lifted during Linebacker II. Therefore without restrictions, it was then primarily training, tactics, technology and overwhelming numbers that determined the success or failure of a tactical air mission in that specific environment, rather than any limiting "restrictions."

And in that mostly unrestricted environment, "we" did not fare as well as we hoped, or as well as we should have, in my opinion. Why?

It is agreed that a Soviet encounter of that same period would likely be without those Vietnam self-defeating restrictions. It would indeed be more akin to Linebacker II, with its few restrictions, but against a far better equipped and trained adversary with far more firepower and a much greater air-to-air threat.

Of course, "more evenly matched" is far better assessed in the after-action-report, rather than the initial battle plan. Thank God we never had to execute that one to find out!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
..... it was the pervasive, red-boxed no-bomb-zones where Jane Fonda's entourage was on that particular day where we couln't bomb....
Huh. You boys shoulda' gone at night with the red kneeboard lights on -- then you couldn't see the "red" boxes on the charts .... :D

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
That said, perhaps the Iranians are seeding the story in light of the announced mega sale to Saudi Arabia and the big boost (guaranteed for 10 years) that Condy just promised to the Israelis to stay quiet.

Or maybe the Israelis are running this story. Both sources have been Israeli/pro-Israel.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A Russian official now discounts the report, sorry I can't post the link but HJ would jump all over me for copyright concerns........;)