• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

It's good to be Tom (Cruise that is)

Pugs

Back from the range
None
See he's been a pilot since 94. Wonder how many hours he has and what he's done to upgrade his skills? Seems like getting a Mustang and flying it like a 172 is a waste and not having the skills and flying it like it should be flown is a fine way to make what's her name a widow.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
flying it like it should be flown is a fine way to make what's her name a widow.
Yeah...but you won't catch me complaining about that. Am I the only one who's seen The Gift....:hot_anima

It is an interesting question. Everything I've heard is that those are not aircraft for amatuers...

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
John Travolta, who owns three Gulfstream jets, a Learjet and a customised Boeing 707B, which he keeps outside his home in Florida.

Three Gulfstreams, a Lear, and a 707... sick! I thought he only had a Gulfstream and a 707

Why doesen't Cruise get some real bad ass stuff, like an Iranian F-14 (if they have any that can still fly)...

If I had the kind of bank he does, I'd be buying surplus Mirages and stuff

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Tom Cruise has never soloed either of his P-51's. Nor will his studio contract allow him to. I have an aquaintence named Matt out of Van Nuys who has given him all his dual and backseats with him whenever he flies. Matts' made a career of flying other people's high performance aircraft. He flies in the unlimiteds at Reno as well. Word has it Cruise in indeed "dangerous". Although he never really flies consistently enough to be profficient. I don't know what he first learned to fly in, but he bought the S-2B several years ago, and recieved lots of dual in that as well. Every once in awhile, you can hear he and Matt on the radio training between Van Nuys and Burbank...when the weather is perfect, and early in the morning, or near sunset when everything's nice and calm...

You can see a short interview with Matt on "One Six Right."

I'd say from what I've read, Travolta takes his flying a little more seriously.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Tom Cruise has never soloed either of his P-51's. Nor will his studio contract allow him to. I have an aquiantence named Matt Jackson out of Van Nuys who has given him all his dual and backseats with him whenever he flies. Matts' made a career of flying other people's high performance aircraft. He flies in the unlimiteds at Reno as well. Word has it Cruise in indeed "dangerous". Although he never really flies consistently enough to be profficient. I don't know what he first learned to fly in, but he bought the S-2B several years ago, and reccieved several hours of dual in that as well. Every once in awhile, you can hear he and Matt on the radio training between Van Nuys and Burbank...when the weather is perfect, and early in the morning, or near sunset when everything's nice and calm...

I'd say from what I've read, Travolta takes his flying a little more seriously.

Its my understanding that people cringe when his Pitts comes in for landing in Santa Monica.

My instructor said the same thing. Travolta, Harrison Ford, and Kurt Russell are all GREAT pilots.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think I've mentioned this before at some point, but here goes...

My XO from ROTC was one of the pilots in Top Gun (rumor is he's the MiG pilot). He had several interesting stories about the making of the movie, but one was about how most of the regular cast would hang out w/ the pilots except Cruise. His (the XO's) thinking was that it was because he seemed out of his element. Apparently Cruise would get very sick very quickly while flying, to include when trying to do "roll-ins" (or whatever you jet guys call it) on a target. They were trying to get real audio over the radios and apparently Cruise couldn't get it out w/out losing it. Delays ensued.

Now, I understand not everyone is cut out for the air. My thinking was that Cruise bought the S2 and started flying "aerobatics," as he's been quoted as saying, just to "beat" his former issues. I'm sure it's part of the whole self-empowerment, exploding volcanoes thing.

Interesting to hear your story, Stearmann.

KBayDog

My instructor said the same thing. Travolta, Harrison Ford, and Kurt Russell are all GREAT pilots.

They may be, but none of them are Bruce Dickinson.

In addition to being Iron Maiden's front man since 1982, he is a world-class fencer (foil) and "moonlights" as a 737-300, 737-700, and 757 first officer for Astraeus, a charter airline in the UK.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This may be a stupid Q, but aren't all P-51s single seaters?

There were actually a few TF-51 versions with dual controls and many surviving Mustangs have a second seat added. If you have a few thousand to blow, you can head to Kissimmee (just minutes south of Orlando near DisneyWorld) and get a nice ride there with Stallion 51 in their TF-51; one of a few operations that offer rides for a few pesos.

crazyhorse_STA06.jpg

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Its my understanding that people cringe when his Pitts comes in for landing in Santa Monica.

IIRC, John Travolta actually had to land his Gulfstream (or one of his jets) at Reagan at night, IMC, with total electrical failure. If true, then if he wasn't a good pilot, he'd be a dead one . . .