• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jet Blue

kray1395

Seems to me that they chose to use up as much runway as possible while letting the airplane slow down before applying the brakes. I'm sure they wanted to keep as much downward force off of the nosegear strut until they absolutely needed it. Otherwise, I'm sure they could have stopped much sooner, but at the risk of the increased downward force collapsing the nosegear strut. Seems to me they thought absolutely everything through before finally landing the airplane. I'll be interested to hear what the aircrew and the passengers have to say about their experiences. I'd be looking for them soon on Letterman and Leno.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
kray1395 said:
Seems to me they thought absolutely everything through before finally landing the airplane. .

With over 3 hours to burn down there was a lot of time for that CRM you are always hearing about. You can bet they were on the horn with everyone from Airbus to the tire manufacturer, not to mention the airline maintenance and operations folks. Hats of to the Captain, but he had a lot of help and he gets as much credit for asking the right questions and listening carefully before he made his decisions as he does for piloting the aircraft. You youngsters remember that.

nugget81

pilot
kray1395 said:
Seems to me that they chose to use up as much runway as possible while letting the airplane slow down before applying the brakes.

The pilots figured that since the airport would have to repaint the centerline stripes, they may as well repaint all of them...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
DocT said:
Why was this airplane not designed to dump fuel?
Because it's so reliable, it will never have to dump fuel for and emergency landing. Makes sense to the Airbus designers/engineers .... so why should it bother anyone else ??? :icon_mi_1

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
DocT said:
Why was this airplane not designed to dump fuel?

It isn't unusual for smaller airliners not to have a dump capability. The engineers say that you can come back "safely" at the max certified take off weight. That isn't to say you couldn't stress the aircraft, even to the point of some structural damage, but no failures would be expected. The max land weight is the certified weight the manufacturer says you can land at all day with ham fisted pilots like me at the controls and the aircraft will not be unduely stressed. A landing over max land weight in an aircraft such as the A320 or MD-80, or 717 is considered an emergency simply because it is beyond the max land weight approved by the manufacturer. Over max land up to max take off weight you declare an emergency and come back and land. I have seen MD-80s landed at max takeoff weight, about 20,000 pounds over max land, and it was back in service in a few hours after a thorough inspection by maintenance. Very large aircraft like B777s, MD-11s and A340s simply carry so much fuel for their long haul missions the structure might not withstand a landing at max take off weight. So they dump. A they have to dump at a certain rate to be certified by the FAA.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
^ Everything Wink said ....

And sometimes you just gotta get it back on deck. For example: taking off > 800,000 # in a 747 and you catch fire or loose multiple engines or anything that makes it undesirable or not possible to stay airborne for 1/2 hour to dump to "maximum landing weight" ... you fly the airplane, turn downwind, dump if you get to it, declare an emergency and LAND. Any aircraft can land just as heavy as it took off --- you just don't do a carrier landing and "prang" it. Grease it on --- the aircraft gets an inspection and you stand-by to defend your decision --- some things demand expediency --- not a half hour of dumping or 3 hours flying around burning off your fuel to get down to the desired MLW .....

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I loved the dumb questions asked by the TV hosts...

"Do you think they had nosewheel steering, Chet?"

(overheard on CNN)

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
to quote A4s, " Standby to Defend your Decisions"
This is the case in all aspects of aviation, remember someone at a desk with a cup of coffee and some time to think will second guess every move you made and yes even every meal you had leading up to an incident.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
Checkout CNN Airbus is already saying how their plane was designed to land safely with a nose gear failure. How about designing a nose gear that doesn't fail.

I was at a baseball game last night when this happened and they showed the landing on the big screen in center field and my first thought after the landing was that I couldn't wait to get A-4's read on this. I wasn't disappointed :)

CNN

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
JIMC5499 said:
Checkout CNN Airbus is already saying how their plane was designed to land safely with a nose gear failure. How about designing a nose gear that doesn't fail.

Heh... I'll try that one on my next EP Sim... "Jeez, why are we practicing this? Why not just tell Boeing to make a plane which doesn't break?" ;)

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
JIMC5499 said:

Well then... why bother to put ejection seats in aircraft? or stroking helo seats? or fire suppression systems? or manual fuel systems? or airstart buttons?