• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jonny Kim solos the T-6

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I didn't realize the secondary warfare device was put below the last line of medals. That gets interesting for those smaller in stature. Not having a secondary warfare device, and the only time I've had to wear big medals was when I didn't have more than 3, it wasn't something I ever paid attention to.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't realize the secondary warfare device was put below the last line of medals. That gets interesting for those smaller in stature. Not having a secondary warfare device, and the only time I've had to wear big medals was when I didn't have more than 3, it wasn't something I ever paid attention to.
I can’t remember the last time I wore “full gongs” but I have had to put together mess dress once or twice and yeah, it can be a PITA trying to get everything lined up and looking and hanging “right.” Even with a normal amount of O-5 flair, much less all that war hero rig.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I can’t remember the last time I wore “full gongs” but I have had to put together mess dress once or twice and yeah, it can be a PITA trying to get everything lined up and looking and hanging “right.” Even with a normal amount of O-5 flair, much less all that war hero rig.

One plus of the AF is that we don't wear full size medals, unless you are some form of color guard. It's only mini-medals and it's only on mess dress. I don't miss the cost and PITA it was to deal with full size medals.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
One plus of the AF is that we don't wear full size medals, unless you are some form of color guard. It's only mini-medals and it's only on mess dress. I don't miss the cost and PITA it was to deal with full size medals.
AND.... you can wear all, some, or none, of the medal on our dress blues. There are a good amount of folks around here who wear their wings and nothing else. Putting together a ribbon stack that looks like a Banana Republic dictator takes a lot of time and effort.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Everything about that medal rack, warfare insignia placement, and those staff corps insignia just makes my brain hurt. Yes, he's wearing it all correctly, I know. It's just, well . . . not in the same ZIP code as "usual."

I don’t know much about warfare pin placement so forgive me lol. I assume he can’t put his jump wings on due to the amount of pins you can wear? I’ve seen Marine corps guys with NFO wings, NA wings, and jump wings on.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I don’t know much about warfare pin placement so forgive me lol. I assume he can’t put his jump wings on due to the amount of pins you can wear? I’ve seen Marine corps guys with NFO wings, NA wings, and jump wings on.
The navy only allows two warfare insignia. He has the choice, but earning the trident is something special so I’m sure he prefers it. But yes, he probably has parachute and diver insignia as well.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The navy only allows two warfare insignia. He has the choice, but earning the trident is something special so I’m sure he prefers it. But yes, he probably has parachute and diver insignia as well.
In khakis or summer whites, one could also cheat and wear a belt buckle with the third.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Growing up near Eglin, one of our neighbors was a DH and then XO of the EOD School. He and the other Navy techs I met wore their Blaster “Crab“ on top but most rotated their secondary insignia between jump wings, dive bubble, and SPECOPS pin (the one that looks like a SWO pin).

My favorite quote about Dr Kim I’ve seen so far was something to the effect of, “My greatest nightmare would be if his mom and my mom were friends.”

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
While working in another project, I cam across this image of the original US astronaut insignia.it was awarded by then Commandant David Shoup to John Glenn.

IMG_1328.jpeg

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
What does the constellation of stars mean? I forgot all that after I made First Class Boy Scout in 1967.
Star pattern of the southern cross, Pacific, where the old Raiders made their bones in WWII?