• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jonny Kim solos the T-6

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
And yes, NASA apparently does have helos. They just picked up three H135s to replace their old Hueys.

One of our former base mechanics went to work as a mech for that group. Sounded like as good a deal for the mechanics as it did for the pilots.

Sonog

pilot
Good question on "why helos?"

But in his previous astronaut training, he flew (and still flies) the T-38 a lot... but always in the rear cockpit.

Maybe because, like helos, you can't eject in space.

If something goes wrong, you're riding it all the way to the ground.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it’s awesome that he winged, especially in helos. But I can’t help but wonder what for? The pilots that NASA selects as astronauts have thousands of hours and Johnny now has enough flight experience to be dangerous. And, as you said, NASA already has a program in place for astronauts to get flight exposure and EP training.

Doesn’t diminish his accomplishment, but this feels more like a ‘nice to have’ than a ‘need to have’ for him.

NASA astronauts often spend years waiting for an assignment and since he is a relatively recent selectee he could have another 3-5 years before he gets a slot on a space flight based on recent history. As a result astronauts seem to often get assigned to do other things in NASA or NASA-related billets.

I get the sense that this was a combination of wanting to fill in some of his time, getting him good training to be able to be a better astronaut and a little bit of a good deal.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think there's any intent to actually make him a spacecraft pilot. NASA's been making use of doctor-astronauts for decades, and the astronaut corps in general does a lot more than just get ready for their next flight. If they're awaiting a flight assignment, NASA finds something for them to do (or they find themselves something to do) that dovetails with their training and background. The MDs often get involved with designing on-orbit medical tests or experiments, or help conduct them from the ground, or train the other astronauts in medical procedures, for example. The Air Force has "pilot-physicians" and probably an AF astronaut brought the idea into the program. In this case, I would speculate that there was a need or vacancy for a pilot-qualified MD within the office and he put his hand up.

(not to say it's out of a sense of team spirit alone...often they volunteer for assignments they think might also make them more competitive for an upcoming crew assignment)

I've been reading Homesteading Space, about the Skylab program, co-written by Joe Kerwin, and there was a lot of interesting detail about how the astronauts spend their time between or before their flights.

jmcquate

Contributor
Don't know how it works now, but when I was at JSC in the mid 90s, the astronauts mostly were assigned missions 3 to 4 years out. They were in different stages of planning and training, mostly for ISS build missions. No time for side projects. But I assume things are very different now. and yes the T-38 work was to get the non rated military and the civilians comfortable with the way a military cockpit worked, and as a personnel ride to other NASA facilities and other PR engagements.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Everything about that medal rack, warfare insignia placement, and those staff corps insignia just makes my brain hurt. Yes, he's wearing it all correctly, I know. It's just, well . . . not in the same ZIP code as "usual."

It's definitely got a Miami zip code thing going on.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Everything about that medal rack, warfare insignia placement, and those staff corps insignia just makes my brain hurt. Yes, he's wearing it all correctly, I know. It's just, well . . . not in the same ZIP code as "usual."
If people didn’t know better they’d accuse him of stolen valor…or at least stealing from the NEX to impress girls.