• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Learning to Fly Helicopters

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's why all the rockstars in primary wind up in Helos.

Squeeze, I think you know I don't have any beef w/ you and generally am with you on most of what you post, so when I say this, it's not an attack on you or your "kind," but to everyone:

Can we please not gayify this thread w/ this crap any further? Thanks...

The Management.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Independent of tactics for a sec... Everything has it's advantages and disadvantages. Flying a generic helo is "hard," not just because of hovering, but also having to micro-manage the aircraft while also trying to keep whatever needle you're looking at centered. Like Phrog said, once you get it, it becomes easier.

Jets (like Tacair) are hard because the world moves by a lot faster while you're trying to keep the needle centered. Whether that needle is to a relatively simple approach or to the back of the boat is kind of irrelevant (albeit one is obviously harder than the other) Once you've mastered that, it's not as big a deal, as well.

Throw tactics in there (be it Tracom or Fleet), and either one, in it's own right, get's that much more complicated.

Yep, wasn't trying to say one was harder or better than the other. Just pointing out that precision is a facet that has a place in all communities.

mts4602

That's why all the rockstars in primary wind up in Helos.

If helos were what everyone wanted. The best pilots would end up in helos, not jets, if it's just based on grades. Since that's not the case and the majority of people want jets, the best pilots end up with jets. So which aircraft is harder to fly doesn't really make a difference in this case. But with the whole "needs of the Navy" thing I guess it doesn't really matter anyways.

I guess to get back on topic...I'll just ask that if anyone flying helos would like to mention what it was like learning to fly them for the first time. That's what I would like to hear about.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If helos were what everyone wanted. The best pilots would end up in helos, not jets, if it's just based on grades. Since that's not the case and the majority of people want jets, the best pilots end up with jets. So which aircraft is harder to fly doesn't really make a difference in this case. But with the whole "needs of the Navy" thing I guess it doesn't really matter anyways.

That's not true, but it's not the point of the thread.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Squeeze, I think you know I don't have any beef w/ you and generally am with you on most of what you post, so when I say this, it's not an attack on you or your "kind," but to everyone:

Can we please not gayify this thread w/ this crap any further? Thanks...

The Management.

No problemo.

I suppose if you seperate the tactics from the airframe, learning the basics of a helicopter is probably more difficult than learning the basics of a fixed wing plane. On the same note, going from a fixed wing trainer (eg: T-34) to a fixed wing jet is a big step, but many of the basics remain the same. Going from the same trainer to a different type of aircraft is likely going to be a bigger step, similar to going from the T-45 to the Harrier was likely a bigger step than going from a T-45 to a Hornet would be.

But on the flipside, what I meant from my sarcastic reply was, that if the helicopter is harder to fly, why are some of those who can barely fly a T-34 selected to fly a "harder" airframe? Sheer demand for numbers, tactics, etc...?

/speculation

mts4602

That's not true, but it's not the point of the thread.

Not trying to be a smart***, I'm honestly just curious. What's not true about it?

It's just what I seem to have read on AW, but you would know a lot more than I, considering your situation.

mts4602

But on the flipside, what I meant from my sarcastic reply was, that if the helicopter is harder to fly, why are some of those who can barely fly a T-34 selected to fly a "harder" airframe? Sheer demand for numbers, tactics, etc...?

/speculation

Thats kind of what I was getting at. I thought primary was based on grades. If most people want jets; the most asked question on here seems to be "what percentage get jets", wouldn't naturally the worse pilots get helos?

Also, whatever the Navy needs you're going to get. So sometimes it doesn't matter. I've heard a lot about that one here as well.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not trying to be a smart***, I'm honestly just curious. What's not true about it?

It's just what I seem to have read on AW, but you would know a lot more than I, considering your situation.

While a lot of people come into Primary wanting jets, you'll be surprised at how many change their mind by the time selection rolls around. There were relatively few people that wanted jets when I selected. Most wanted Helos. There are various reasons for this. There is also a no-sh!t cutoff to go fly jets. There is a valid reason for this. Just like there is probably a cutoff to fly Cobras once you're in the Helo pipeline (I don't know if there is, but I would assume there is one). Hell, in the jet pipeline, there is a cutoff to fly Harriers. I'm not implying that helo pilots are weak pilots, I'm not implying that at all. I know a few people that did better than I did, or better than my fellow jet friends did, had better NSS, and wanted and went helos. But weak pilots generally don't get selected jets (though they can end up a weak jet pilot, and that can be scary).

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
There is and has never been to my knowledge no cutoff to fly Cobras--you're giving the skidkids too much credit.

They are, however, a popular choice, which by supply and demand meant that some highly ranked grads went there, in the days of meritocracy. While I was in StuCon, HQMC mandated that we would go to the abomination that is the quality spread, so all communities got equally hosed.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is and has never been to my knowledge no cutoff to fly Cobras--you're giving the skidkids too much credit.

They are, however, a popular choice, which by supply and demand meant that some highly ranked grads went there, in the days of meritocracy. While I was in StuCon, HQMC mandated that we would go to the abomination that is the quality spread, so all communities got equally hosed.

Interesting. Thanks for the information, did not know that.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
yeah no cut off and concur that from what I have seen Communism doesnt work in platform selection anymore than it worked as a political system.

In my opinion the hardest fleet Helo to fly well is the Huey. Those guys have arguably more missions than anyone else (giveing the AFL brief one day and the EFL the next) and they are always at the edge of the envelope when operating tactically (ever seen them bounce down a runway with a full load).