• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Learning to Fly Helicopters

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
While a lot of people come into Primary wanting jets, you'll be surprised at how many change their mind by the time selection rolls around. There were relatively few people that wanted jets when I selected. Most wanted Helos. There are various reasons for this. There is also a no-sh!t cutoff to go fly jets. There is a valid reason for this. ...Hell, in the jet pipeline, there is a cutoff to fly Harriers. I'm not implying that helo pilots are weak pilots, I'm not implying that at all. I know a few people that did better than I did, or better than my fellow jet friends did, had better NSS, and wanted and went helos. But weak pilots generally don't get selected jets (though they can end up a weak jet pilot, and that can be scary).

Well said. I never thought you were making the "harder" argument.

@Squeeze:

I figured you were being sarcastic, just wasn't sure if others would "get it."

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I've flown my ass straight and level off the boat and right to the bars, strip clubs and clubs on many occasion. That's the only reason straight level is bearable.....IMHO of course :D

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
If helos were what everyone wanted. The best pilots would end up in helos, not jets, if it's just based on grades. Since that's not the case and the majority of people want jets, the best pilots end up with jets. So which aircraft is harder to fly doesn't really make a difference in this case. But with the whole "needs of the Navy" thing I guess it doesn't really matter anyways.

What people want for there selection out of Primary largely depends on their service. I know a lot of Navy guys who wanted jets or something else and ended up getting helos (some with high NSSs and some with low). I also know that the Coast Guard is having a bit of a fixed wing draft right now where they are forcing people down that way to fill holes. Likewise I know that the Marine Corps has had to make a lot of studs who wanted helos go jets because they had the grades for it but not high enough to beat out their peers who wanted helos. And I also know guys who gamed the system and intentionally hurt their grades in Primary so that they would not be forced to go jets and could go helos.

Its not about quality of pilot, grades, who what is harder than something else. Its all about the mission when it comes time to selection. People are going to select the aircraft that will get them the mission that they would prefer to do, and sure sometimes you will have guys who are forced to do something else due to "Needs of the ______". I think it is a real problem that so many people feel that just because someone got helos it means that they weren't the best pilots in Primary or are weaker pilots...IMHO

I guess to get back on topic...I'll just ask that if anyone flying helos would like to mention what it was like learning to fly them for the first time. That's what I would like to hear about.

No one want to share their first experience?

Ok, well I will but I will keep it brief. Hovering is by far the hardest and scariest thing I had ever done in any aircraft (IFS included). Constant corrections are necessary, and while I realize that such corrections are required in all aircraft, I never had to make the amount of corrections that are required to hover except for maybe formation flying in the T-34. With formation though you were concerned about staying a safe distance from the other aircraft. With hovering you are trying to keep away from the ground as well as any trees that may be around (ie more things to potentially hit). After that first flight I was extremely drained and needed some time to recock for the next flight.

Of course with practice it has gotten easier and I can now do other things while hovering and make corrections without thinking about what those corrections need to be.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I've flown my ass straight and level.....right to the bars, strip clubs....
Bunk - you're on the right track in your airline prep! :D

Interviewer: So Bunk, what makes you think your ready for the majors?
Bunk: I've spent every one of my Navy C2 deployments developing my lay over skills. I know all the best strip clubs and bars.
Interviewer: Welcome to the hiring pool.

phrogpilot73

I'm glad you added the "let's forget about tactics" bit... Looking back, flight school was like taking a bunch of survey courses... The varsity stuff is when you're flying and thinking about tactics. Unless you're a COD guy...

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
If IFS is your standard of danger, you've got problems.

Brett

I considered it dangerous at the time because they had us at the controls with absolutely zero knowledge of the aircraft, systems, or possible emergencies. Not that the flying was dangerous, just that if anything had gone wrong, say on a solo it would have been...so naturally at the time I was somewhat concerned about it...

Tombstone

I have both a fixed wing and Rotor License and by far flying helos was the hardest, but I will say flying a helo is alot more fun than flying a Cessna that is for sure! I would have to say the hardest part about flying a helo is hovering no doudt about it! Especially going from forward flight and transfering to the Hover that part suck like none other! There is alot involved with flying helos but once you get it down there is nothing like hiding behind some trees and poping up and scaring the crap out of your entire family at a reunion!

KnightNArmor

ASO
pilot
I'll add to this one...
Learning to fly helos were most definelty harder than I thought it would be. Managing power, altitude, airspeed, yaw, trim, etc... just hovering takes 4 of that partial list.
After that, I went up to the 46... and that's a different animal of a helo in itself. Not having a tail rotor means that one day you add right pedal when you take off and the next day you add left.. and the reason is because of which direction the wind is coming from. But, the fundamentals of flying a helo don't change from one airframe to the next in my opinion. It's just how you manage the airframe.
But, I will say, the scariest thing I've done in flying so far....

Autorotations in a 46....