• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

liberty limits

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This whole issue hasn't personally affected me (yet), though I've been pondering why the Navy trusts us to fly multi million dollar aircraft, yet they don't trust us to travel over 300 miles over the weekend without telling our superiors where we're going and filling out a leave chit? Seriously. We're adults. Aren't we responsible enough to decide to make flights plans or time our drives in time to make it back to work by Monday morning? Why micromanage all of us so much when only a few people are dumb enough to try to make the last flight out when there's snow in the forecast or something?

-thoughts of an Ensign on leave with too much time on her hands

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I'll bite.

1) Plenty of 22 year old ensigns and lieutenants are dumb enough to attempt 900 miles in 36 hour with no sleep between the drive there and the drive back. Somebody needs to sanity check that because some of it is going to take place on little sleep or at night or in bad weather.

2) It's the standard. Would you agree that it's probably a good idea to keep your young, bold, and aggressive Sailors and Marines on a leash for the reasons mentioned above? You hold them to a standard, and you should lead the way on that standard.

Some may attribute it to TRA, but I think it is a wise rule that people tend to denigrate for selfish reasons.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
It's not that they don't trust you; you can't always predict Mother Nature or chance. Any number of things could happen where you might not be able to get in touch with command with the request chit they have some idea where you are.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you want to go outside the limits take leave. Easy.

The limit also enables the command to recall you and have you back onsite in a timely manner.

I'd also refrain from bitching about what is basically a very lax policy. Some commands adjust and it can be a very, very good deal. However I've seen certain individuals raise a stink similar to yours which almost resulted in an even stricter policy.

And young Ensign, you will see PLENTY of people of all ranks who still manage to f-up liberty privileges.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
If you are flying commercially, you need to be on leave. Shit happens.(Planes didn't fly for a week after 9/11) If you are on leave your leave can be extended. There was an fellow Ensign at my squadron who was trying to fly back this weekend. The weather was fine. His plane broke on his first leg and the rest of the flights were booked and they couldn't get him out that day. We extended his leave one day, no big deal. If he was not on leave and was not back when he was supposed to be, then he would have been AWOL. Which is obviously a bad deal.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
It's because at least one or more of your cohorts in the past have fucked it away. All it takes is one person to ruin it for the rest of ya. So maybe you aren't trusted all that much. There are worse things to worry about.

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
Ponder your leave chit, governing you travelling over 300 miles, to to your NATOPS, OPNAV 3710.7, LHA NATOPS, CV NATOPS, HOSTAC, FAR-AIM, and SOP, etc, governing flying that multi-million dollar aircraft.

dexter

pilot
i never figured out why in TBS i could get an out of bounds chit to go to the west coast for a 96 but why in flight school do they make you take leave. Does the navy not do out of bounds chits?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
That policy seems like one of the few good things about being a Marine. Out of bounds chits brings the total to: 1.

i keed i keed

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
i never figured out why in TBS i could get an out of bounds chit to go to the west coast for a 96 but why in flight school do they make you take leave. Does the navy not do out of bounds chits?
I didn't have to take leave to go beyond the 400 mi radius over Thanksgiving, and other people have travelled outside it for a weekend. Just had to put in an out-of-bounds chit. They only require leave here if it's either on a working day or more than 96.

Might depend on the command?

Anyway, I always thought the leave/liberty policy made sense. If you go beyond a day's drive outside the command, someone up the chain needs to know where you are and how you're going to get there and back in time for work.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Might depend on the command?

Very much so. Best bet is to play the hand you're dealt. Odds are, if you feel you're being f-ed by one command, you'll get hooked up by another down the road.

I go to Vegas A LOT.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Don't worry about having to take leave - I'm continually having to take days just to keep from losing them, no other reason. It sort of just happens after the training command, as you get busy doing actual work.

Bevo16

pilot
Since I work in the Navy's casualty office, I know exactly why they make you do this.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Take some time to read the Naval Safety Center's Friday Funnies and you'll quickly learn the limits of the human race. The policy is there to protect the dumb. Like others have said, until you are a DivO in a foreign port of call, then you'll understand. Note to self, you are not indestructible.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
....and, "They" just want to knock that taste of entitlement out of your little Ensign mouth. Civi world went bye-bye, Welcome to having to actually be accountable for your actions... Your good deals will come