• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

liberty limits

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
THIS. Pour encourager les autres.

I'm confused, are you saying that hammering the offender encourages the other or that hammering is a good way to discourage? Forgive me, my French isn't what it used to be.

Personally, I say drop the hammer as the example.

Flugelman

Contributor
I'm confused, are you saying that hammering the offender encourages the other or that hammering is a good way to discourage? Forgive me, my French isn't what it used to be.

Personally, I say drop the hammer as the example.

This explains it better... I had to look it up. :eek:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This explains it better... I had to look it up. :eek:
glasses.gif

IRfly

None
This whole issue hasn't personally affected me (yet), though I've been pondering why the Navy trusts us to fly multi million dollar aircraft, yet they don't trust us to travel over 300 miles over the weekend without telling our superiors where we're going and filling out a leave chit? Seriously. We're adults.

Exactly how many multi-million dollar aircraft has the Navy entrusted to you thus far? To others in your A-pool?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Us in the very general sense in that I've heard these policies don't change too much when I actually hit the fleet :) The squadron I was with last summer for my 1/c cruise had a liberty limit of 350 miles.

MasterBates

We had a tiered limit at my last fleet squadron IIRC.

Paygrade Weekday/Weekend
E1-E3 50/150
E4-E6 120/250
E7+ none/350

Anything up to 350 normally just required talking to the first Khaki in their COC.

Flugelman

Contributor
Once you've had to explain to your Dept Head you don't know where the fvck Airman Smith, (division shitbird), is after Monday morning quarters, you'll appreciate the limits a little more. Doesn't mean Airman Smith will pay attention to them, just gives you something to hammer him with. There will always be one or two in the command that just can't make good decisions. :(

Bster

None
Having lost a good friend (O-3) who did something stupid (driving several hundred miles back and forth over a three day weekend), I can appreciate Big Navy's interest in our safety. Pretty much the command involvment is making sure you thought about everything and getting you to seriously ponder the question 'do you really want to drive or should you fly?' My friend fell asleep at the whell and killed himself , wife, and the his kids. We are losing more of us young aviators due to preventable non-military related incidents than in combat and training. Yes it is a pain but I do see the merit behind it.

docpup

What is another word for theaurus?
We had a kid at one of my duty stations who did all of the right things. He was on leave driving several states away. Stopped at a rest area and asphyxiated from a gas container leak in his trunk. Sad yes. but the command was able to not place any blame on the Military as a whole.

The liberal media would have a hay day the first time a kid dies or kills someone if we didn't have any policy in place.

Whenever there is a death of a service member there is a JAG investigation. Part of the liberty policy is to minimize any command "contributing" or "administrative" factors that arise post mishap.

Additionally we have Rights and Priviledges. Leave accrual is a Right of military service, the manor in which we take that leave (time, place, and circumstance) is a priviledge.

Standing by for blasting.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Is the OCONUS leave approval a Navy thing?

A few years ago me and a buddy asked our Marine OIC if we could take leave and go wherever the first space-a flights took us. He gave us the thumbs up and said to make sure we had enough cash to pay for a flight back if we needed to.

Spent a week in Tokyo, week in Singapore, had to buy a plane ticket back ($1600 from Tokyo, but only $800 from Singapore - with a stop in Tokyo, go figure).

Had a blast, but when we got back a Navy Officer who I don't think I had ever even talked to before came and started quasi-yelling at me because I didn't check out with him...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is the OCONUS leave approval a Navy thing?

I have never heard of anyone letting military people OCONUS (from the US) without leave. With the ATFP briefings required, reporting contact with foreigners as well as tracking US military personnel in foreign countires (yes, they do that to a degree), it would probably be against at least one DoD reg and just plain stupid to do otherwise.

Now that I think more about it, as a former AT officer I am pretty sure that everyone going to a foreign country needed prior approval before going. I think it required NCIS notification of some kind and SSO approval if you had a TS SCI. Just so you know, unreported travel is a giant red flag for background investigations and security clearances, even to relatively 'benign' countries like Singapore and Japan.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
.... had to buy a plane ticket back ($1600 from Tokyo, but only $800 from Singapore - with a stop in Tokyo, go figure).

That has been changed, last month I think. Japan had a law that required minimum fares that airlines could charge.

Back to thread: Back in the day, when stationed in Hawaii, we would "pull liberty" in San Francisco. On long weekend we would buy a R/T ticket to SFO, was $100 in 1964/5. Had a "basket" leave chit "in the box" if we ran into trouble along the way. Mostly JO's. Harvey Barnum 1stLT USMC was on one of the "adventures", before he became famous, of course. He was actually stationed at Wahiawa HI, TDY to Nam when he won the MOH. Trips were a hoot.:eek::eek:

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I have never heard of anyone letting military people OCONUS (from the US) without leave. With the ATFP briefings required, reporting contact with foreigners as well as tracking US military personnel in foreign countires (yes, they do that to a degree), it would probably be against at least one DoD reg and just plain stupid to do otherwise.

Now that I think more about it, as a former AT officer I am pretty sure that everyone going to a foreign country needed prior approval before going. I think it required NCIS notification of some kind and SSO approval if you had a TS SCI. Just so you know, unreported travel is a giant red flag for background investigations and security clearances, even to relatively 'benign' countries like Singapore and Japan.

I'll piggyback on Flash, everytime I've gone outside the U.S. I've had some sort of security briefing, either on orders or on personal travel. I can't ever recall anyone, that I know of, who was able to travel outside the U.S. without leave.

Huey, I did something similar to you when I was a mid, I took a mac flight to France and I still had to do the anti-terrorism training, security brief, etc. My company officer was a Marine too.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Here in San Diego, I know people who went down to TJ without leave. You just had to call the squadron duty desk to let them know. That has since been stopped with the increase in violence down there.