• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

liberty limits

lmnop

Seriously. We're adults. Aren't we responsible enough to decide to make flights plans or time our drives in time to make it back to work by Monday morning?

Welcome aboard. Consider it preparation for the first time that Mom and Dad give you a midnight curfew in a foreign port.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Since I work in the Navy's casualty office, I know exactly why they make you do this.
You can't say that without telling us a horrific story!

I had to do a leave chit for a trip I took, didn't seem so bad. Filled it out, sent it in. Easiest part of the travel process...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To echo what Bevo already said, read the Navy Operations Center daily OPREP/SITREP summary when you get a chance to use SIPR. You will see daily confirmation that Darwin is alive and well, proven by sailors every day.

To paraphrase something I read the other day, out of 100 things that need fixing in the Navy, this is 101.

sailorjerry

If you are at your home station, do you get automatic time off for holidays or do you have to use some of your leave days for those times?

stickygdm

pilot
The rules apply to all, by the way. I'm on leave over 2K from NASK. I have a sick kid who can't fly. The first thing I do...Call the Skipper to extend my leave. Leave and liberty policies (by the way liberty is a out of CONUS concept--that's where the out of bounds / out of local area lingo slips into command policies) are part of raising the right hand and taking the oath. After we take the oath we are part of the National Security list of assets, right down to the E1 or O1. Accountability and responsibility are two valuable words for our entire careers and it starts with self accountability and responsibility. The policies are there to aid us remained focused on our importance to National Defense.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
When I was in primary I took leave during Christmas. I made the mistake of telling my onwing that I may be going to Mexico. He just said "if you get in trouble down there....DO NOT CALL US!"

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
When I was in primary I took leave during Christmas. I made the mistake of telling my onwing that I may be going to Mexico. He just said "if you get in trouble down there....DO NOT CALL US!"

FYI..OCONUS leave has to be approved by the Commodore (at TW-4)...no I am not kidding. I made the mistake of mentioning I might jump up into Canada while vacationing in Vermont and all kinda bells and whistles went off.

S.O.B.

pilot
It's because at least one or more of your cohorts in the past have fucked it away. All it takes is one person to ruin it for the rest of ya. So maybe you aren't trusted all that much. There are worse things to worry about.

This trend pisses me off about the current state of the Navy. I'm not so mush talking about the out of bounds BS as I am about COs restricting port call liberty. My position is.... don't punish the entire crew because you have a few dip shits and think an early curfew will mitigate the risk of a liberty incident: take the single person that fvcks up and hammer him. You roll into half of the ports these days and kids wait for hours to get off the boat and have to return at some absurdly early time. :icon_rage

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My position is.... don't punish the entire crew because you have a few dip shits and think an early curfew will mitigate the risk of a liberty incident: take the single person that fvcks up and hammer him.
THIS. Pour encourager les autres.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
This trend pisses me off about the current state of the Navy. I'm not so mush talking about the out of bounds BS as I am about COs restricting port call liberty. My position is.... don't punish the entire crew because you have a few dip shits and think an early curfew will mitigate the risk of a liberty incident: take the single person that fvcks up and hammer him. You roll into half of the ports these days and kids wait for hours to get off the boat and have to return at some absurdly early time. :icon_rage

That's the standard way of thinking. I punished two of my sailors in my COD det back in 05 after they got into a fight in Singapore. They were lucky to not have been arrested but I was hauled into the Admirals office and threatened to have my entire det punished....all because of two guys. On the next deployment, I had a sailor almost blow it for the det at the beginning of cruise, in Hawaii. I warned them, one person can blow it for everyone. I hammered this kid btw, as a warning to anyone else.

S.O.B.

pilot
That's the standard way of thinking. I punished two of my sailors in my COD det back in 05 after they got into a fight in Singapore. They were lucky to not have been arrested but I was hauled into the Admirals office and threatened to have my entire det punished....all because of two guys. On the next deployment, I had a sailor almost blow it for the det at the beginning of cruise, in Hawaii. I warned them, one person can blow it for everyone. I hammered this kid btw, as a warning to anyone else.

True......I probably shouldn't have called out COs as this is definitely a result of pressure from the top. I bet when the guys at the top were JO's liberty was a completely different animal.