• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

liberty limits

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Flash: We were on leave, I am just saying that all we did was get a thumbs up from our OIC - and the Navy Lt. that yelled at us just wanted to look at the DoS website with me...but since I had just finished working with the State Department, I wound up helping him navigate the country briefings...

Hopefully I don't have any issues when I need to renew my clearance.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash: We were on leave, I am just saying that all we did was get a thumbs up from our OIC - and the Navy Lt. that yelled at us just wanted to look at the DoS website with me...but since I had just finished working with the State Department, I wound up helping him navigate the country briefings...

Hopefully I don't have any issues when I need to renew my clearance.

If you were on leave then it was probably your COC that didn't do what they needed, not you. And I doubt you will have any clearance issues since you were on leave and as long as you put down your travels on your SF-86, you will have done what you needed in that respect too.

exhelodrvr

pilot
This trend pisses me off about the current state of the Navy. I'm not so mush talking about the out of bounds BS as I am about COs restricting port call liberty. My position is.... don't punish the entire crew because you have a few dip shits and think an early curfew will mitigate the risk of a liberty incident: take the single person that fvcks up and hammer him. You roll into half of the ports these days and kids wait for hours to get off the boat and have to return at some absurdly early time. :icon_rage

This has been going on for a long time. It is frustrating, but remember that Navy ships overseas represent the nation as a whole, and a bad port call by a ship is a signficant black eye for the entire ship/fleet/Navy/possibly higher. And after the problem has happened, "hammering" those few individuals who caused the problem doesn't fix the PR issue.

Flugelman

Contributor
This has been going on for a long time. It is frustrating, but remember that Navy ships overseas represent the nation as a whole, and a bad port call by a ship is a signficant black eye for the entire ship/fleet/Navy/possibly higher. And after the problem has happened, "hammering" those few individuals who caused the problem doesn't fix the PR issue.

Sure makes it easier to determine who gets liberty on the next port call, though.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
That out of bounds chit business sure sounds like a helluva good deal.

My friends always got jealous when I smugly told them I'd be getting 30 "paid vacation days" per year. Then when I found out that I had to use these days even on a regularly scheduled day off or holiday, I didn't feel nearly as awesome. Smug no more.

On a related note, how often do leave chits just magically vanish upon your return when out in the real fleet? I heard it's a relatively common thing over at TBS.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
...On a related note, how often do leave chits just magically vanish upon your return when out in the real fleet? I heard it's a relatively common thing over at TBS.

Does that mean that it doesnt get charged or that you have to deal with a bunch of crap when you return trying to prove that you were authorized?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
In the real fleet your leave is on MOL. It helps a lot for routing, but has, for better or worse, ended a lot of leave shenanigans.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does this exclude Canada and Mexico?

-ea6bflyr ;)

Probably depends on the command and your location nowadays. In Whidbey you didn't need leave to go to Canada though you officially needed to get a one-time AT brief before you went up there. If you were coming from Fallon though, they might want you to do leave. In Mexico, I would do it anyways nowadays, required or not. It is getting particularly violent down there, much more so than usual, with Americans starting to become targets.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Wow. The Nav sure has changed in 20 years. I wonder if the changes came about because of advances in communication technologies (cell phones) along with finding a way to do more paperwork ;). I once took 33 days of leave that started during the holidays that resulted in being away from the squadron for 40 days. I put my folks' address as my destination (along with their phone number), but there was no way I was going to sit in one spot for 40 days. The point is I was "out-of-pocket" for 40 days and was actually "locate-able" for maybe 10 of them. Nobody batted an eye or asked where I was or what I had been doing.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Does that mean that it doesnt get charged or that you have to deal with a bunch of crap when you return trying to prove that you were authorized?

In an effort to streamline leave paperwork between admin and your PSD....

Once approved and assigned a leave control #, the leave is basically charged for the requested amount. They no longer wait for the completed leave chit as a high percentage of time you take it all anyways. If you fail to turn in a completed chit you are charged the full requested amount. If you take less than requested amount make sure the chit reflects what you took AND your admin forwards it to PSD. I still hear stories every now and then about guys trying to prove they didn't take leave and they were unable to get it back because the chit was no where to be found.

For example...I cancelled approved leave one week prior to the requested date and my command had to draft a letter stating such (signed by the CO or by dir) and forward to PSD for me not to be charged.

...a little off topic but good info for the young bucks (and does).