• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Low Harrier

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Why is it when somebody is doing something stupid, or at the very least, against the rules, they ALWAYS make a video of it? You may as well not label it,"Flying video," and just write,"Prosecution Exhibit A." Witness Prowler guys cutting gondola wires in Italy, prisoner abusers in Iraq, and the dancing fat kid on the internet.

yeah I figured that flying a multi-million dollar aircraft about 20 feet off the ground with no intentions of landing it...would be a no-no..none the less that video was cool as sh!t...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
phrogdriver said:
Why is it when somebody is doing something stupid, or at the very least, against the rules, they ALWAYS make a video of it? ......
I didn't ... I was too busy flying. My B/N did. You never can trust them ..... :D

He also took a couple of 8mm films during ALPHA Strikes ... edge of the envelope flying, formation roll-in's, flying low--really low, SAM trails through the formation, A-7 shot down, CAT's and TRAPS. Lot's of stupid, rule bending there, too. You probably wouldn't like it.

Grumman liked it, however, and bought it to use as a motivational film. I guess it depends upon who's busting who's rules .... ???

Who could know .... :)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
A4sForever said:
You probably wouldn't like it.

Sounds pretty cool to me, actually. Wasn't the BN supposed to be, uh, doing something while you're doing strikes and such? Especially with the motion picture cameras you had back then. I mean, it must've been hard to get a big wooden tripod in the cockpit, then to crank the film by hand.:icon_zbee

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Blutonski816 said:
That. Was. Low.

Not low enough...you can only tie the record for low altitude flight, not set it.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
...Unless you're Buckaroo Banzai, that is. HE could fly THROUGH solid rock. Oh, wait... That a was a sh!tty 1980's movie. Damn it all! My mind's been erased by doing PVT and PFC taxes.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Schnugg said:
Not low enough...you can only tie the record for low altitude flight, not set it.

Well..............there's a lake in Africa I recently flew over that is -500 MSL and we flew over it at 200 AGL (granted this was in a helicopter) which put our altitude at -300 MSL.

I know that doesn't compare to a Lawn Dart creating a wake in the dirt but it's still.........Good times.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In the other realm...best I've done was 2.0 mach at 50,000 feet.

Could have gone higher, but didn't have my pressure suit on...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
If you fly low enough ... (operational necessity, of course) you don't need an altimeter.

You can "feel" it .... :)

B

Blutonski816

gaijin6423 said:
...Unless you're Buckaroo Banzai, that is. HE could fly THROUGH solid rock. Oh, wait... That a was a sh!tty 1980's movie. Damn it all! My mind's been erased by doing PVT and PFC taxes.

plus, it was in some kinda truck... wasn't it??

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
phrogdriver said:
Why is it when somebody is doing something stupid, or at the very least, against the rules, they ALWAYS make a video of it? You may as well not label it,"Flying video," and just write,"Prosecution Exhibit A." Witness Prowler guys cutting gondola wires in Italy, prisoner abusers in Iraq, and the dancing fat kid on the internet.
Ain't that the truth. I will say, however, that the Brits regularly fly their Tornados and Harriers below 100 Ft, so the video in question is probably no big deal.

Brett

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ever been to Oman?

Brett327 said:
Ain't that the truth. I will say, however, that the Brits regularly fly their Tornados and Harriers below 100 Ft, so the video in question is probably no big deal.

Brett

The former Brits in Oman (flying Hunters and Jags) would consider 100' to be extremely high....their stunt was flying under wings of C-130s taxiing at Misirah.