• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Low Harrier

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
heyjoe said:
The former Brits in Oman (flying Hunters and Jags) would consider 100' to be extremely high....their stunt was flying under wings of C-130s taxiing at Misirah.

Woah, that's banging. How awesome was that to see?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Ain't that the truth. I will say, however, that the Brits regularly fly their Tornados and Harriers below 100 Ft, so the video in question is probably no big deal.

Brett
Why do they do it and we don't? I guess I understand why we don't, so how do they justify operating this way?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
eddie said:
Why do they do it and we don't? I guess I understand why we don't, so how do they justify operating this way?
Honestly, it's hard to justify being that low for tactical reasons. For a number of reasons, we tend to go high these days in an operational sense, but it's still a good skill set to maintain. They probably do it because it's fun, plus they haven't hit any Italian gondolas yet. ;)

Brett

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Brits and low level flying

Brett327 said:
Honestly, it's hard to justify being that low for tactical reasons. For a number of reasons, we tend to go high these days in an operational sense, but it's still a good skill set to maintain. They probably do it because it's fun, plus they haven't hit any Italian gondolas yet. ;)

Brett

It's a cold war legacy that traces its roots to a combination of crappy weather over Europe and instense threat of sophisticated IADS. US did similar response over Viet Nam...when IADS got too threatening, tactics shifted to low level. When black box and other SEAD technology was developed to allow tactics to back to medium and high level altitudes and the operating environment changed. Many units went into Desert Storm with low level tactics while others went high. Brit Tornadoes and a few A-6 Intruders paid a price for going in low...F-15Es picked and chose where they went low and faired a bit better.

That said, many of our operating procedures in CONUS are driven by safety concerns...when "balloon goes up" (or is about to), some of those constraints are relaxed to take on more risk to be able to train effectively. In Desert Shield, we were "authorized" to train in more or less unfettered fashion. Our low levels were very low and we maneuvered in ACM below 10,000 feet to see what Tomcat could do (it actually performs even better below 10K due to efficient inlet design).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BigIron said:
Here's a link to a picture of another very low British jet....
Wow, not only is that guy super low, but he's doing a low level while dirty! Amazing! ;)

Brett

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
heyjoe said:
The former Brits in Oman (flying Hunters and Jags) would consider 100' to be extremely high....their stunt was flying under wings of C-130s taxiing at Misirah.

Is there any video of that? I would love to see it. I didn't even know that a hunter or jaguar could fit under the wings of a C-130.

Pilot In Command: "Whoa, what the hell was that!?!?!?"
Co-pilot: "I dunno, but I think I'm gonna need a new flightsuit."
Engineer: "What's that smell?"
:D

Lawman

None
heyjoe said:

Photos of Jags in Oman, sorry no 130 tricks in these.

Attachments

• Jag low 1.jpg
    Jag low 1.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 126
  • jag-low2.jpg
    jag-low2.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 132

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I think flying under the wing of a C130 is a fish tale, though. Even if you got under the wing, the prop would still get you.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Believe it or not..........

phrogdriver said:
I think flying under the wing of a C130 is a fish tale, though. Even if you got under the wing, the prop would still get you.

Plenty of room outboard the engines...there's a photo of it somewhere on the web. Just don't have time to look for it right now.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
phrogdriver said:
What4ever (sic) it is/was/were/will be ... it's a stunt. Has no tactical application what4soever (sic) ... :)