• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Married Pilots, need some advice...

Hold the whipped jokes, but which aircraft allows you to see your wife the most?

• F-18

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • P-3

Votes: 25 46.3%
  • C-2

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • E-2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SH-60

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Other...

Votes: 16 29.6%

• Total voters

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
Individual augment. You go over to bad guy land and fill in a billet they need filled for some chunk of time (generally in the neighborhood of 7 months to a year like MB alluded to). What MB said.

staff03

Individual Augmentee.

When you go, by yourself as additional manpower to a unit in need. Often, but not always an Army or Marine unit.

sorry to ask this stupid question, just tryin to be well informed. so an IA is a deployment away from home during your shore duty or is that totally wrong?

MasterBates

It can be whenever. I was going to go on one while on sea duty, but after my second deployment. Since I ended up not going, I was told to plan on one during my shore tour.

kevkwondo08

Which is more common- married or unmarried pilots? And which area of the navy (intel, aviation, etc.) has the greatest amount of divorcees?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Having a hot wife in Naval Aviation is like parking a Ferrari in Compton with the keys in it.

Maybe, but I'd say it's like living your Ferrari unattended with plenty of car thieves in the area. Some might be able to crack the security. Some not.

A couple of true stories can perhaps share a real issue for aviators. One JO in our squadron had a fellow RAG buddy staying with him and his wife and he deployed while his good buddy looked out for his "belongings". By the end of the six month cruise, he was told to find another place to live. Another JO came home to an empty house with no forwarding info as to whereabouts of his wife or 3 sons. In both cases, the spouse was needy and didn't do well with separation. This would be true whether the gents had flown P-3s or were in a civilian line of business that required travel. I knew the spouse in the first instance and she was very needy and he talked just like you trying to maximize time at home, but it was never enough. If you put yourself in that position, you will be suboptimizing your career or duty while trying to optimize your marriage and it's a recipe for disaster.

That said, separation isn't easy but it isn't all bad. It can tear a relationship apart or make it stronger. When i got to my first real shore job that was a 9 to 5 situation, I was home at same time every day and we found ourselves at odds initially until I took the first trip. She then said she had a couple revelations while I was gone. The first one was she had been so used to runing the show at home and liked it that way so having me back was an ajustment with growing pains not unlike first getting married and figuring out how to make mutual decisions. The second revelation was she thought being gone also made her realize that she liked having me around and had on another level started to talk me for granted so the trip made her appreciate me more. Now she'll say "It's time for you to go on a trip".

Getting back to Navy deployments....we found that workups were hardest to deal with with out and back and constant changes in when you'd go or come back whereas a six month deployment was more of a constant situation to cope with and that was when letters with at least two week turnarounds were as good as it got (unless you wanted send a telegram or try MARS which were both suboptimum means of comms).

Like others have said, I don't think you can count on a particular platform yielding the best "at home" time. Also like others have attested, you could end up in a squadron that has miserable quality of life even though you're not deployed. You also risk being "that guy" who puts home in front of duty while trying to balance their life. Those guys stand out and not in a good way. You can then expect special attention from peers and superiors.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I know several squadron XO/CO's who were single, but that's not a major command. Seems not being married becomes more of an “issue” for major command and Flag screening.

CO of a carrier is a major command.

helo_wifey

That said, separation isn't easy but it isn't all bad. It can tear a relationship apart or make it stronger. When i got to my first real shore job that was a 9 to 5 situation, I was home at same time every day and we found ourselves at odds initially until I took the first trip. She then said she had a couple revelations while I was gone. The first one was she had been so used to runing the show at home and liked it that way so having me back was an ajustment with growing pains not unlike first getting married and figuring out how to make mutual decisions. The second revelation was she thought being gone also made her realize that she liked having me around and had on another level started to talk me for granted so the trip made her appreciate me more. Now she'll say "It's time for you to go on a trip".

I agree with this, and I've said it many times before...when my husband is away it gives me time to focus on me (we don't have kids) and do the things I want to do that he normally wouldn't. For us it keeps things interesting, and it's an amazing feeling when you know they're coming home in a week and you get to rediscover your relationship.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
..Interestingly enough, if you look at the poll results, more than 50% of the 15 or so responders believe that P-3's provide more time at home...
Your poll is worthless. Who are the 15 that answered? What is their background? Do they have the actual knowledge to back up their vote or is it heresy? How many are wanna-bes that are voting based on what they've "heard"?

Most F-18 drivers really have no idea what life is like for P-3 or helo guys, etc. It's mostly opinions based on community perceptions and prejudices. Unless they have a contact in another community where they've compared lives, it's all heresy and anecdotal info when they vote in your poll.

I truly hope you do not make your decision based on a meaningless poll.

The discussion is where your info comes, and where you can judge the validity of the comments by referring to the poster's background/profile.

On a side note, if I ever find myself in the position as a CO/XO type with 15+ years of experience, I believe that the family life of those I'm appointed over will be of great concern to me. I believe that even a "nation at war" cannot afford to neglect the personal lives of its soldiers, sailors, and AV8Rs (!!). Their home lives (which seem to be disregarded by some posters on this thread) are the foundations upon which they develop their values and the bedrock upon which they stand and fight and cannot be disregarded when considering their effectiveness as Officers. I'm referring to both single and married Officers, neither is better than the other, both can be highly successful and effective leaders.
Such noble sentiments. Do you think the vast majority of COs go into their command tours with the idea of fvcking their sailors out of a good family life?

It's called mission completion. The CO gets his marching orders from the CAG/Commodore. The CAG/Commodore from the Admiral, etc. Big Navy wants the mission done and the CO, CAG/Commodore and Admiral don't get to the positions they are in but neglecting mission accomplishment. Everyone tries to give their Sailors a good quality of life but that is secondary to the mission. If you can't accept this, the military is not for you. If you can't support and direct this, you will not be a CO.

Young idealism is just that - idealism. It has no basis on reality. It's great to be a newly commissioned office and pontificate about how you will be when in command. But reality trumps idealism and you have don't have the experience to even begin to understand the pressures of command.

I'm not knocking your idealism, I'm just pointing out that it is nothing new and you make the same comments as every JO. The good COs still try but the JOs (and their families) have to remember the mission comes first.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Zippy,
On a side note, if I ever find myself in the position as a CO/XO type with 15+ years of experience, I believe that the family life of those I'm appointed over will be of great concern to me. I believe that even a "nation at war" cannot afford to neglect the personal lives of its soldiers, sailors, and AV8Rs (!!). Their home lives (which seem to be disregarded by some posters on this thread) are the foundations upon which they develop their values and the bedrock upon which they stand and fight and cannot be disregarded when considering their effectiveness as Officers. I'm referring to both single and married Officers, neither is better than the other, both can be highly successful and effective leaders.

You'll need to get your wings first and spend some time in a Ready Room before you can have any credibility making statements like that.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Your poll is worthless. Who are the 15 that answered? What is their background? Do they have the actual knowledge to back up their vote or is it heresy? How many are wanna-bes that are voting based on what they've "heard"?

Most F-18 drivers really have no idea what life is like for P-3 or helo guys, etc. It's mostly opinions based on community perceptions and prejudices. Unless they have a contact in another community where they've compared lives, it's all heresy and anecdotal info when they vote in your poll.

I truly hope you do not make your decision based on a meaningless poll.

I don't think this guy is basing his selection off of a poll. He is just trying to find out more info on the different platforms. While he doesn't need to make his decision just for his wife, he does need to include her in his decision making.

The poll is not public so I can't see who the 30+ people are who voted. But you would be surprised what people know about other communities.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
stoptheinsanitydd2.jpg