• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MH-53E Deployment life vs MH-60R and S

Juwon Brunson

A little backround info: I am a High School Senior wanting to join the Navy as an officer once I get out of college and I want to go for Aviation. Now on to the question... What are the different lifestyles like for pilots that fly the Sea Dragon vs the two varients of the Seahawk? Ive heard alot that the Sea Dragons do not go on carriers much so Id like to know where they go instead on deployments. In general id just like to get any info on all their lives so I can make a good decision. Thanks

Juwon Brunson

You will be told to search.

No one will tell you what terms to use.

Only that you search.

Ive done plenty of research and even had brief conversations with pilots at the Air Show im just asking to attempt (even if it fails) to get any more info. Doesnt hurt to be prepared.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
No, it's a great question to ask. When you're flight-side at the VTs.

Right now? So far out from where you're at that the answer will be completely outdated by the time you've a need to know.

Hate to dog pile, but not to mention how far you have to go before you even become a SNA...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ive done plenty of research and even had brief conversations with pilots at the Air Show im just asking to attempt (even if it fails) to get any more info. Doesnt hurt to be prepared.

It doesn't hurt, and I did the same when I was in your shoes...just saying that the info would be for entertainment value only at this point. The info will be so dated as to be useless long before you get to pipeline and platform selection.

Juwon Brunson

It doesn't hurt, and I did the same when I was in your shoes...just saying that the info would be for entertainment value only at this point. The info will be so dated as to be useless long before you get to pipeline and platform selection.
the reply was for you I dont think it tagged you im new to this.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is there anything I can do then? Should I just wait until im in. College ROTC or near the end of ROTC to ask again?

You'll select pipeline (ie, to fly helos) at the end of Primary. Lots of threads on that. You'll select community (HM/HSC/HSM) during helo training.

In the meantime, have you picked up an ROTC scholarship? You said you're a senior - if you haven't, you're way behind.

Juwon Brunson

You'll select pipeline (ie, to fly helos) at the end of Primary. Lots of threads on that. You'll select community (HM/HSC/HSM) during helo training.

In the meantime, have you picked up an ROTC scholarship? You said you're a senior - if you haven't, you're way behind.
I have a cumulative of 2.88 so I cannot recieve it. Im pretty sure that I can still get it in college for sophmore if I bring my GPA up my Freshman year. I did however talk to the commander for the ROTC here and he told me I can still take the class and everything I just need to get the scholarship by my Junior year because thats when I sign a contract.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Good on you for trying to do some research. As others have indicated, you have a long time before you need to choose a community. Task 1 is getting your grades up so you can get in to a commissioning program. Until that happens everything else is just trivia and nice to know.

That said, USN H-53s do not routinely deploy to carriers. However, they do sometimes deploy to LHD/LPDs if there anti-mine mission is needed and there is no accessible land base nearby. The h-53 squadrons will deploy overseas areas to maintain an anti-mine presence.

USN H-60s go everywhere that has a hangar and a landing pad. 60Rs (HSM) deploy to small boys and to CVs. 60Ss deploy to USNS ships, LHDs, CVs, and some land based sites.

The life of a nugget in any type of USN Squadron is largely the same. In rough terms JOs spend three years in their first Squadron and deploy twice. In that time they train in the aircraft to go from becoming an useless sponge to a fully qualified member of society. In addition, JOs will have ground jobs of increasing responsibility starting with something along the lines of licking envelopes and finishing up running major Squadron programs.

Juwon Brunson

Good on you for trying to do some research. As others have indicated, you have a long time before you need to choose a community. Task 1 is getting your grades up so you can get in to a commissioning program. Until that happens everything else is just trivia and nice to know.

That said, USN H-53s do not routinely deploy to carriers. However, they do sometimes deploy to LHD/LPDs if there anti-mine mission is needed and there is no accessible land base nearby. The h-53 squadrons will deploy overseas areas to maintain an anti-mine presence.

USN H-60s go everywhere that has a hangar and a landing pad. 60Rs (HSM) deploy to small boys and to CVs. 60Ss deploy to USNS ships, LHDs, CVs, and some land based sites.

The life of a nugget in any type of USN Squadron is largely the same. In rough terms JOs spend three years in their first Squadron and deploy twice. In that time they train in the aircraft to go from becoming an useless sponge to a fully qualified member of society. In addition, JOs will have ground jobs of increasing responsibility starting with something along the lines of licking envelopes and finishing up running major Squadron programs.
Sounds like fun honestly lol. Yeah I definitely will pick up my grades no doubt and I like the missions of HSC more but id be happy with whatever I get honestly. I want to experience navy life so obviously Id probably choose being on a ship more and I want to do 20 yrs if that makes a difference.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Sounds like fun honestly lol. Yeah I definitely will pick up my grades no doubt and I like the missions of HSC more but id be happy with whatever I get honestly. I want to experience navy life so obviously Id probably choose being on a ship more and I want to do 20 yrs if that makes a difference.
Never, ever...ever....volunteer for the ship...ever.

The ship is like a prostate exam. A horrible pain in the ass that will forever haunt you emotionally, but is necessary for healthy progress (according to some people)
Pickle

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

The ship is like a prostate exam. A horrible pain in the ass that will forever haunt you emotionally, but is necessary for healthy progress (according to some people)
Pickle
Said a full-fledged member of the Nair Force. You know there's a reason there are all those anchors on your cover, not runways, right? :p

Juwon Brunson

Pickle
Well I mean thats why im picking the Navy is to get on the boat or carriers and visit all the ports. There are other reasons like that it seems Navy officers or more respected and its a Tradition in my family. Ive researched all branches though dont get me wrong (guessing your Air Force or some other branch) I just rather would have the Navy.