• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MH-53E Deployment life vs MH-60R and S

Pags

N/A
pilot
Even though I think you and a couple others said it could be irelevant by time I get in could you tell me more about your time in? You basically just went down the route I want to go (other than the 7 years)
What specifically are you curious about? I'm not opposed to writing a memoir of my 11.5yrs in the service of USN but since I expect it to be a best seller I don't want to give it all away :)

Pags

N/A
pilot
I see some critical queso replenishment items up there.
This log hit was obviously critical to some ship's morale*. OSs on BMD AEGIS ships need their fatty snacks so they don't fall asleep on the mid watch. Also note the planters peanuts: the bane of trash sorters! It's a can made of metal, plastic, and paper!

*Most important log hit I remember was an H-60 packed to the gills with toilet paper that was flown out to an Aussie ship that had run out. The Aussies were jumping for joy when we showed up. We declined to shake their hands despite their gratitude.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...ARMY: The deployed environment sucks. FOBS in Iraq, Afghanistan and even Camp Buehring, Kuwait suck. But even the smallest FOB is usually larger than an aircraft carrier, and certainly larger than a small boy. Flying in the Army can be pretty exciting....

But it is the Army. Never have worked for a more frustrating organization in my life.

Juwon Brunson

What specifically are you curious about? I'm not opposed to writing a memoir of my 11.5yrs in the service of USN but since I expect it to be a best seller I don't want to give it all away :)
What did you do HM/HCS/HSM? What was it truly like none of the recruiter sunshines and rainbows stories. If you ever did it all again would you do it the same? Was the training boring or not? Trying to ask questions thay dont change with time lol its pretty difficult.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
This log hit was obviously critical to some ship's morale*.

*Most important log hit I remember was an H-60 packed to the gills with toilet paper that was flown out to an Aussie ship that had run out. The Aussies were jumping for joy when we showed up. We declined to shake their hands despite their gratitude.

I've got a COD buddy who said they had an emergency medical resupply JTAR* for the boat. They wonder what it could be, thinking mass casualties needing blood and such. Turns out to be pallets of tampons. Their response, "Dude, that's got to be an angry boat"

*JTAR isn't the term, I know, but I don't know what the COD guys use

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ah, the glory of Ass and Trash.

In a setup like that, how do the crewman get in? Slither through the waist windows? Or can you step "over" the center console from the cockpit?

Im guessing I was led to believe that HSC was a pretty cool path and im taking a guess that its actually the opposite lol.

Every helicopter community has a large portion of their mission dedicated to circling something. It might be vessels, it might be the carrier, it might be targets, but we all do a LOT of turning circles. HSC just doesn't always want to admit to it.

Both HSM and HSC share other mission sets, to include super-cool attacking of the next anti-democratic agent of evil. HSM just has more toys on the airframe, so they tend to have more demand in the CVN world. That said, with our current operational setup, the Navy can't complete one of its main mission sets (ie, putting the carrier where it's needed) without both communities doing their jobs.

Last edited:

Juwon Brunson

In a setup like that, how do the crewman get in? Slither through the waist windows? Or can you step "over" the center console from the cockpit?

Every helicopter community has a large portion of their mission dedicated to circling something. It might be vessels, it might be the carrier, it might be targets, but we all do a LOT of turning circles. HSC just doesn't always want to admit to it.

Both HSM and HSC share other mission sets, to include super-cool attacking of the next anti-democratic agent of evil. HSM just has more toys on the airframe, so they tend to have more demand in the CVN world. That said, with your current operational setup, the Navy can't complete one of its main mission sets (ie, putting the carrier where it's needed) without both communities doing their jobs.
So HSM does more then?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
These days, every community on the boat has a large portion of their mission dedicated to turning circles. Even fighter guys. That's the "X" in XCAS and the "NT" in NTISR.