• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Miramar/San Diego Airport

hunter-gatherer

There's a woodpecker on your head Keanu
http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/07/06/news/top_stories/795102005.txt

The Committee searching for a new location for an airport in San Diego are dead set on using Miramar even against the absolute rejection to the possibilty by Marine Commanders.

I can't imagine a scenario where they have Miramar as a new San Diego Regional Airport and military installation at the same time.

The people that live near Miramar already complain about noise...just imagine if it was a commercial aviation destination.

What I am wondering is, even if it was to become the case, what would come of the millitary aspect of miramar?

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Pretty much a non-factor. The Navy and MC have already said (more eloquently), "Pack sand." San Diego and their committee have no say in the matter. Silly local government people... Ranks up there with "strenuously object."

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
They do need to move the San Diego airport though, the location sucks. Pretty neat though, if you're sitting on the ground and a 757 passes over you at less than 100'.

There are some airports that have reserve aircraft stationed there, but I'm not aware of any that are full time military and civvie (save a few CG bases and remote places in Alaska).

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Always fun to watch the planes come in for an approach to Lindberg Field from the east. Even more fun to watch them take off that way, but that is pretty rare comparatively speaking.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
There are some airports that have reserve aircraft stationed there, but I'm not aware of any that are full time military and civvie (save a few CG bases and remote places in Alaska).

Charleston, SC is one. I planned a XC in advanced there. Albuquerque/Kirtland AFB is another.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Places like Eglin pull it off, but the volume of commercial traffic pales at what SD has to deal with. Miramar is a convenient location for them and wouldn't require them to buld a new field from scratch. Personally, I think they should build it out toward Santee or so. My personal opinion is that the city is looking for the easy way out of taking over a base rather than doing the real work of effectively planning ahead. Lindbergh has always had high volume and a single runway. They can't possibly expect everyone to believe they just magically realized this.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They do need to move the San Diego airport though, the location sucks. Pretty neat though, if you're sitting on the ground and a 757 passes over you at less than 100'.

What about Hickam AFB in Hawaii? I think that has active units there (and reserve), and it doubles as the civie airport (PHNL).

Brett

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What about Hickam AFB in Hawaii? I think that has active units there (and reserve), and it doubles as the civie airport (PHNL).

Brett
Well sh!t, let's not forget Davis-Mothan AFB out in Tuscon. They have reserve F-16's there.

Crowbar

None
Steve, I think something got lost there. I was referring to the whole mil/civ thing PropStop said, not the Lindbergh T/O to the east deal.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor

Brett

is hickam a full on airport, or just a few commuter flights? I figured all the big stuff went to Honolulu, but i've never been there.