• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Miramar/San Diego Airport

RiceOwl06

Ellington Field in Houston is another one. They've got the 147th Fighter Wing there, as well as the NASA T-38s. Its pretty awesome when you're a greenhorn student pilot with only a few hours in a Cessna flying with F-16's in the pattern.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Back on track - the whole issue was a local gov't coming in to move its flight ops for its heavy flight loading onto a military base. There's plenty of dual use fields now, but most only involve a limited amount of mil on a civilian field (i.e. Ellington) or limited civ on a mil field (i.e. Eglin). San Diego wants a ready-made solution for their problem, and unfortunately there's far too much going on at Miramar to support them. They waited so long to consider it a major issue that they're really hurting to fix it now. They screwed themselves and want to absorb (and I can only imagine) to eventually take over the whole facility while telling the military "not our problem, go find somewhere else to live."

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Back on track - the whole issue was a local gov't coming in to move its flight ops for its heavy flight loading onto a military base. There's plenty of dual use fields now, but most only involve a limited amount of mil on a civilian field (i.e. Ellington) or limited civ on a mil field (i.e. Eglin). San Diego wants a ready-made solution for their problem, and unfortunately there's far too much going on at Miramar to support them. They waited so long to consider it a major issue that they're really hurting to fix it now. They screwed themselves and want to absorb (and I can only imagine) to eventually take over the whole facility while telling the military "not our problem, go find somewhere else to live."

I think ultimately to city is going to have to build something in North or East County that will cost them $20-30 billion and take 10-15 years to complete. Or, they could just bulldoze San Ysidro and/or National City to build there. :D

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
What about Hickam AFB in Hawaii? I think that has active units there (and reserve), and it doubles as the civie airport (PHNL).

Brett
Same runways ... same-O, same-O ... different side of 'da "base" .... it causes a few problems from time to time. Usually, it's because the HANG is staffed and flown by a high percentage of aviation Rubes ... Island style ... :)

ALOHA ...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Always fun to watch the planes come in for an approach to Lindberg Field from the east. .....
I.e., from Boom Trenchard's Flare Path ... what a fine place ... east side of the field on the runways ... now defunct.

One place where all the guys on Air Warriors could take a woman-child and impress her ... headphones on ... tower talkin' when you can't think of anything to say ... good food/drinks/view of the runways and traffic. Nice place.

Impress her ... yes. Just so you didn't talk too much ...:)

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
I think ultimately to city is going to have to build something in North or East County that will cost them $20-30 billion and take 10-15 years to complete. Or, they could just bulldoze San Ysidro and/or National City to build there. :D

Brett

I was thinking the same thing. Figure somewhere out around Brown Field / Otay Mesa would be perfect. Then the air traffic could wave at the air traffic for Tijuana Int'l since it's right across the border. They'd have to put those illegal alien caution signs like they have on I-5 on all the taxiways though. :D

Huggy Bear

pilot
Give San Diego North Island. All the S-3s are going away soon. The helos can use anywhere - the back of a wal mart parking lot. Better yet, move all of the hornets at lemoore to North Island and give Lemoore to San Diego.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
nothing like sitting at the holdshort at Hickam/Honolulu Intl waiting on a departing 777, and hoping the 747 taxiing behind you sees you ...

Ellington Field in Houston is another one. They've got the 147th Fighter Wing there, as well as the NASA T-38s. Its pretty awesome when you're a greenhorn student pilot with only a few hours in a Cessna flying with F-16's in the pattern.
i thought the 147th pulled out of Ellington?

Well sh!t, let's not forget Davis-Mothan AFB out in Tuscon. They have reserve F-16's there.
Davis-Monthan is Mil-only ... Tuscon Intl about 5nm south has reserve F-16s

Miramar would be perfect for a civilian field ... there is plenty of room, IIRC, on the south side of the base for a terminal. IMHO though, the Corps should sell Miramar to the city for the going SoCal price and move to either NJK or NYL.

s/f

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
...... the Corps should sell Miramar to the city for the going SoCal price and move to either NJK or NYL.

s/f
Please, PLEASE, PLEASE keep these rumors going!!!

This has driven the Yuma real estate market through the roof. I missed the boat last time (bought at 125, sold at 145), but I'm hoping that I catch the cycle right this time around.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Give San Diego North Island. All the S-3s are going away soon. The helos can use anywhere - the back of a wal mart parking lot. Better yet, move all of the hornets at lemoore to North Island and give Lemoore to San Diego.

The inside of a Walmart would make a nice hangar, definitely bigger than our current one.

hunter-gatherer

There's a woodpecker on your head Keanu
A while back there were rumors that the San Diego County was contemplating a plan to build a shared runway with Tijuana airport which is close to the border and just make it one huge airspace.

I wonder if they would have to put those yellow caution signs like on the freeways (Dad & Mom, running with child flopping in the wind, in tow) up on the taxiways & runways.

That would be interesting...Captain "folks we have a slight delay. Boarder Patrol is apprehending some Tijuana Airlines Ground Crew who were making a run for it."

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was thinking the same thing. Figure somewhere out around Brown Field / Otay Mesa would be perfect. Then the air traffic could wave at the air traffic for Tijuana Int'l since it's right across the border. They'd have to put those illegal alien caution signs like they have on I-5 on all the taxiways though. :D

bigcross.JPG

@ Huggy: NASNI is too short and access too restricted for what they're wanting to accomplish.

Brett

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
I lived in Mira Mesa for 18 yrs and the jet noise wasnt that bad. But make it an International airport, thats definitely gonna make heads spin.