• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Miramar/San Diego Airport

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
is there a certain time restriction for commercial airliners, like between the hours of 2am-6am, or something like that? dumb question i know but i have to ask since im a retard.

I didnt think the jet noise was that bad at Miramar. I could see jets all the time from my backyard. But when I was at Balboa hospital for an appointment, I swear I heard an airliner coming in on final every 5-10 mins.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
is there a certain time restriction for commercial airliners, like between the hours of 2am-6am, or something like that? dumb question i know but i have to ask since im a retard.

I didnt think the jet noise was that bad at Miramar. I could see jets all the time from my backyard. But when I was at Balboa hospital for an appointment, I swear I heard an airliner coming in on final every 5-10 mins.

Depends if noise abatement procedures are in effect. Many airports have them. They can be altitudes, times, etc.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Depends if noise abatement procedures are in effect. Many airports have them. They can be altitudes, times, etc.

I would think it would be a biotch to get any sleep with airliners flying over my house ever other minute. I guess we'll see where it goes.

"It sets a 2020 time frame for making land available to begin construction, assuming anticipated litigation and other hurdles are settled."

At least its not anytime soon.

hunter-gatherer

There's a woodpecker on your head Keanu
I am pretty sure that flights cannot come into San Diego after a certain time..I think 10 or 11 at night and almost all if not all commercial flights approach from the east over the houses and freeway.

I know that the earliest flights are at like 6 when all the UPS and FEDex planes come in, but they land from the west.

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
There is a story inside this story...and it's got nothing to do with airports or passengers. Oh...where to start. Anybody driven by NTC San Diego lately? Oh I meant Liberty Station. The developers made so much money off that deal that now they're aiming for the royal flush of land development. The 614 waterview acres of Lindbergh field. Who do you think provided all the "private" money to do these studies that foretell catastrophe unless DOD ponies up Miramar? Why is the San Diego UT such a cheerleader? Simple...there's more money is the potential development of Lindbergh's acreage than Carter's got little pills. Think of this item...have you seen any proposal to swap Lindbergh for Miramar? Nope. Have you seen a proposal to take over Miramar and use Lindbergh for cargo, etc? Nope. This issue isn't about airports. San Diego is a destination, not a hub, and never will be. British Airways tried the 747 gig to London, and didn't have the business. San Diego's growth is slowing and the airport is nowhere near capacity. In 1995 annual operations at Lindbergh were 245,280 and ten years later the annual operations were down to 228,672. Most of the time you're riding a 737 or MD-80 series aircraft out of there. If you need more capacity, swap out to more 767's or 737-900's or kick the bizjets out to Gillespie, Brown, or Montgomery. Don't be fooled. This issue is not about aviation, it's about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
I am pretty sure that flights cannot come into San Diego after a certain time..I think 10 or 11 at night and almost all if not all commercial flights approach from the east over the houses and freeway.

I know that the earliest flights are at like 6 when all the UPS and FEDex planes come in, but they land from the west.

Stage 3 aircraft departures between 6:30 AM. and 11:30 PM. Lifeguard or emergency flights are permitted as needed, and arrivals are allowed 24 hours a day.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Davis-Monthan is Mil-only ... Tuscon Intl about 5nm south has reserve F-16s
You're right. I actually knew that but screwed up the names. I used to do a little flying out of the small airport to the west of there.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
For a metropolitan area of its size, San Diego has some "bad ratios" – Bad Population to Airports ratio; and a very bad Population to Number-of-Runways ratio.

Most major cities have at least two commercial airline airports – National/Dulles, Love/DFW/, ORD/MDW, etc. Even the cities that have only a single commercial airport have one with multiple runways and simultaneous instrument approach capabilities. I.E. Denver has 6 runways, Phoenix has 4. But San Diego – 8th largest city - has only one small airport with incredibly, only a single, short runway. Although convenient, Lindbergh is a joke for a city like San Diego.

Every several years over the past half-century, a new "Airport Study" has been commissioned. Every study, after considering any number of new airport sites – including the absurd – settles on Miramar as the best/only site for a new airport. And every time, DoD says, "no way."

And as every time in the past, I doubt it will be any different this time…or the next, or the next expensive study after that, many years from now, with San Diego still looking for a new airport site.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I.e., from Boom Trenchard's Flare Path ... what a fine place ... east side of the field on the runways ... now defunct.

One place where all the guys on Air Warriors could take a woman-child and impress her ... headphones on ... tower talkin' when you can't think of anything to say ... good food/drinks/view of the runways and traffic. Nice place.

Impress her ... yes. Just so you didn't talk too much ...:)
Nice place indeed. And good live entertainment in the basement.
I shed a tear when they tore down Boom's. Many good stories and good times there! But Mr. A's up the hill is still there, I believe...where you could watch the aircraft on final approach, nearly at eye-level.

RiceOwl06

i thought the 147th pulled out of Ellington?

BRAC did recommend to move them out last year, and put a squadron of predator drones in its place. However, they are still flying there now. I think they are going to have a det of 2 planes continue to be there at all times in case of a terrorist attack over Houston.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
IF... IF Miramar ever became a civilian Airport, think about all the additional traffic that would be dumped at I-15, nothing like rush hour at 3 in the afternoon.

The one saving grace that Miramar has to aviod all the traffic on I-15 is the back road out to Poway.

Airborne502nd

Well sh!t, let's not forget Davis-Mothan AFB out in Tuscon. They have reserve F-16's there.

Also Albuquerque airport shares their airport with the AF. When we were on are roll out from landing, all you could see were F-16 after F-16 and couple of F-15 & Helos out the window.