• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Motivational Statement MEGA Thread

senevan

I'm applying as an Intelligence Officer, and would like some feedback on my personal statement. Please let me know what you think!

To say I want to serve as a United States Navy Intelligence officer is not just to express one goal but many. To serve my country. To be part of the United States Navy. To be a commissioned officer, leading and learning from sailors of all ranks and rates. To work in naval intelligence, because it is intelligence that forms the first and last line of defence for America and its allies. These goals are the reasons for many sailors’ service, but I will explain why they are mine.

To serve my country, the United States of America, is why I have chosen this path most of all. Service to your country is no doubt greatly intertwined with identity, and this is especially the case for me. Growing up as a citizen of the U.K. and Germany, as well as the United States, I have always felt that America and its values have always guided who I am and who I aim to be. Yet my other identities have taught me the value and importance of our allies and the international community. In this way, in the famous maxim ‘Join the Navy, See the World’, to see the world is proven not to be a selfish desire for tourism, but a reminder of what we are fighting for. To defend the United States, its allies, and its ideals around the world is what I feel it means to live up to being an American.

To serve in the U.S. Navy, the most powerful in the world, is to be part of the first defence against those who would do America, our allies, and our values harm. I want to join the U.S. Navy because of how it is defending these ideals today. It is the U.S. Navy protecting our staunch allies in the South China Sea, not only Taiwan but Japan and the Philippines, from the tyranny of the Chinese Communist Party. It is the U.S. Navy protecting the beating heart of the global economy in the Gulf of Aden from Houthi terrorists and pirates. Working to contribute to this navy’s effectiveness, both in a naval intelligence capacity, as a leader of sailors, and as just another cog in the machine of a military devoted to protecting and serving our nation and its interests is what determines my desire to join the U.S. Navy

I have recently graduated from the University of Oxford, with a degree in history. My focus on global empire and the histories of the Middle East and East Asia strongly encouraged me to work in naval intelligence. The histories I studied illustrated that powerful empires are made and broken by leadership at some times and unity at others. This will contribute to my understanding that as a naval officer there are times to be a leader of sailors and others to be just another part of the ship. Understanding the histories of many empires in these regions may seem of little use to an intelligence officer in the U.S. Navy but identifying and understanding connections and shifting dynamics that make up modern geopolitics and military skill is an ability that I believe carries over. The ability to learn and develop this ability will no doubt be important to serving as a useful and effective naval officer and intelligence officer.

Last edited: