• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Academy fights booze...

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Mandatory, huh? So what do they do with people who just don't want to drink period?

I phrased it poorly. I do mine next month, so I'm not speaking from personal experience, just the emails we get about it and hearsay, but from my understanding, it's required to go, see what other people blow, and hear the cops talk about it or whatever. I'll update everyone in Jan or Feb, whenever they make me do it.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
This thread makes me REALLY glad I went BDCP and OCS instead.

For an "elite institution" that prides itself on making the future of Naval Leadership, they seem to have an awful problem allowing the mids to learn life experiences.

That sentiment is echoed by Mids here too. The whole "face of the Navy, face of the Nation" thing is what we feel is motivating all these rules; which we know translates to "you do stupid things sometimes. The Baltimore Sun and The Capital find out about it. They make us look terrible. The American people won't support us anymore because of those newspapers..." etc. etc., rolling downhill from there. There's definitely been briefs where those papers have been referenced.

But, just so everyone knows, no one here seems to be complaining about the Alcohol "training." I think a lot of mids agree that yes, professionalism probably had to increase. At the same time, I think they also think a lot of the new rules don't aim towards that end, and in alot of respects, some of the rules have definitely backfired.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
I just agree with all those who said, "And they wonder why we are producing more dorks than ever from the USNA." If all I had to judge the military on was some of those social retards, I would never want to go into the military. And policies like these are simply limiting their ability to grow socially or (yikes!!!!) make their own decisions.

But I'm sure the people making these policies NEVER EVER drank more than 3 drinks a night in college

phrogpilot73

Also, I had heard there were 2 or 3 alcohol related deaths recently (not sure what class). Our mids were rather non-chalant about it ("We only had...") so I think there may be a problem. I've only had one alcohol related death in all of my commands, and that's because the guy was hit by a drunk driver.

phrogpilot73

Want some Kool-Aid?
He's probably afraid that Ward Hall is monitoring his posts... ;)

watching20you.jpg

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Two articles (one each from the Sun and Washington Times) about this issue today in the Early Bird. Much like when I was at USNA, I refuse to buy their BS propaganda on how this is such a positive program. It boils down to poor leadership on all levels, pure and simple. That's why there are issues of all kinds there.

^But Ward Hall DOES monitor things like this. Big Brother is always watching...

skidz

adrenaline junky
Why not just let them build up a tolerance so that when they do drink while in the fleet, they don't act so stupid because of the alcohol.

phrogpilot73

Why not just let them build up a tolerance so that when they do drink while in the fleet, they don't act so stupid because of the alcohol.
That's what we did when I was there! ;)

Only notable DUI was the guy in my class that ran into a parked car out in town, then drove up Stribling Walk and parked in T-Court before heading to his room.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While I wouldn't complain if my command had tried to get me toasted on my 21st, I never understand why the military seems to give so much responsibility in terms of the job, yet fails to treat its people like adults when it comes to personal freedoms.

phrogpilot73

While I wouldn't complain if my command had tried to get me toasted on my 21st, I never understand why the military seems to give so much responsibility in terms of the job, yet fails to treat its people like adults when it comes to personal freedoms.
That's because in our current society, where personal responsibility is out the window - the media blames the military "institution" vice the boneheaded idiot.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
He's probably afraid that Ward Hall is monitoring his posts... ;)

watching20you.jpg

It's true. :magnify_1:watching_:watching_:watching_:watching_:disguise_

Though, I didn't take the Kool-Aid joke as a punch at me, or did I miss something?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
An interesting idea. ...But done for all the WRONG reasons. What the hell? Midshipmen are not allowed to be over .08% "at any time"? That is the most ridiculous, dumbass, micro-managing, idiotic douche baggery that I've heard of. This aversion to drinking--and the resulting socially inept Officers that it produces--is a large portion of why USNA grads get in trouble after graduation.

To steal from A4s: I weep...

Well it came too late to help M/N Ruggerio, Dixon and Carr. They never made it to graduation.

Two got drunk and fell out of Bancroft Hall from a 4th floor window. One drank and chose to ride in a car driven by his drunk friend who crashed it, killing him.

If it keeps one mid from killing himself it's all worth it in my book. If they act like children and continue to get drunk and fight at the Acme Bar and Grill (they do I stand NADO and see the SITREPS), then treat them like children until they improve their behavior and prove themselves worth of some trust.

I don't buy the "socially inept officer" excuse after graduation to justify current binge drinking at USNA.