• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Aircraft Currently in Use/Soon to Retire..

jmiller82

I was just looking the other day at an article about the F-14 and I realized that most of the F-14 squadrons are either gone, changing over to the FA-18F (Super Hornet), or will remain in a purely training capacity. Correct me if I am wrong, but that leaves Iran as the only combat capable military still flying the F-14 (assuming that they can still maintain/fly the ol' bird). So... That leaves the U.S. Navy with the following fixed wing aircraft:
  • P-3/EP-3 - NAS Brunswick, NAS Jacksonville, MCAB Kaneohe Bay, McGuire AFB, NAF Atsugi, NS Rota , NAS Whidbey Island
  • FA-18 (A/B/C/D/E/F/G) - NAS Oceana, NAS Lemoore, NAF Atsugi, NAF Washington
  • E-6A - Tinker AFB
  • EA-6B - NAS Whidbey Island
  • S-3B - NAS North Island, NAS Jacksonville
  • E-2C - NS Norfolk, NAS Point Mugu
  • V-22 - ?
  • C-130 - ?

And then for the Marine Corps:

• AV-8B - MCAS Cherry Point, MCAS Yuma...
  • EA-6B - MCAS Cherry Point...
  • V-22 - MCB Camp Lejeune...
  • FA-18 (A/B/C/D/E/F) - MCAS Beaufort, MCAS Miramar, Japan...
  • C-130 - ?

And pardon me, guys, for not getting ALL of the assigned duty stations for the squadrons of the aircraft above, but there are ALOT, and I am still as of yet, just a Civilian!! Feel free to amend/change/add at any time..

My main question however, is, when is the S-3B going to retire? I've also heard that the P-3/EP-3 is slated for retirement around 2010-2012 and would be replaced by the P-8.. Also, when would the EA-6B be replaced, or is it still pending decision (I've heard that the FA-18G "Growler" will phase the EA-6B out, but the FA-18G will not begin production until later this year and early next year)? My reasons for these questions are because I wanted to see exactly what platforms will still be available for pipeline/training for SNA/SNFO in the coming months. I know it is a long time away before I would even need to worry about what platform, but I was just wondering.

One more thing.. Are the following FRS (Fleet Replacement Squadrons) correct for these aircraft:
FA-18F: NAS Oceana & NAS Lemoore
EA-6B: NAS Whidbey Island
E-2C: NS Norfolk
E-6A: Tinker AFB
P-3/EP-3: NAS Jacksonville

Are these basically all of the FRS's, or are there more? As I understand, the FRS is meant to supply the fleet with squadrons/aircraft while the CAW (Carrier Air Wing) is deployed on a carrier. Is that correct?

*** Updated as of 6/16/2006 14:00 EST

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You will not select S-3s. The last squadron will go away in late '08 or '09. The FRS goes away later this year.

jmiller82

HooverPilot,

Do you know if they've slated a replacement for the S-3, or will they just phase it out and begin using the P-3 (or future P-8) for ASW?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
j_m74 said:
I was just looking the other day at an articale .....
  • P-3/EP-3 - NAS Brunswick, NAS Jacksonville, MCAB Kaneohe Bay, McGuire AFB, NAF Atsugi, NS Rota....Is that correct?
Uh ... no. At least don't tell the P-3/EP-3 guys at Whidbey that they're "not there" ...

You articale (sic) = gud (sic) source.
:)

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
you've got your Marine Corps bases a little off, AV8's are at cherry point and Yuma, F18's are at beaufort, miramar, and japan. el toro is not an MCAS anymore.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
j_m74 said:
HooverPilot,

Do you know if they've slated a replacement for the S-3, or will they just phase it out and begin using the P-3 (or future P-8) for ASW?

OK, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, but your question makes it obvious you have not done any kind of search for your answers. S-3 guys are transitioning to other aircraft and the mission is being filled by Supers, H-60s and land based assets. Now go do some searches and reading.

jmiller82

Sorry, nocal80! My father is a retired Navy officer, so I used to always visit those places as a kid.. So, El Toro is no more? What about Point Mugu?

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
who are? Why do you want to know this stuff? Who do you work for? Who do you report to? hmmmmm?!

yeah, check out fas.org for most of your answers.

jmiller82

HooverPilot,

I apologize for my lack of knowledge on the subject.. However, I did search the few sources available. The only thing that I found that seemed to be of substance was that the P-3 was sometimes outfitted for ASW, so I figured the P-3 (or its successor, the P-8) would pick up S-3 duties. I understand as far as weapons capabilities, it'd be more fitting for an FA-18 or SH-60 to deploy AGM's (Harpoons), but as far as "tracking" or "sub-hunting", wouldn't the P-3 pick up the S-3 duties? Thanks for the head up HooverPilot..

jmiller82

The only problem with FAS.org and somewhat with Wikipedia.org is that the information is outdated.. I found some info from 1999 that was referring to the S-3 as being slated for upgrades and would continue service for another 15 years.. But then on some sites, and according to several S-3 pilots, it seems that the S-3 will be phased out in the coming years (this year on..). When I went to the actual units and squadrons for the S-3 /P-3, etc.. (VP-66, VP-64, VP-10, VS-33, etc..), of course, I wasn't given any info.. As far as me wanting to know a little more about the platform's future with the Navy - why not? I'm a taxpaying individual, so in effect that aircraft (and any following it) are mine (as well as 300 million others)! I understand most of this is not yet "public" knowledge, but then again it isn't classified or protected either and doesn't hurt to actually discuss it..

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
j_m74 said:
The only problem with FAS.org and somewhat with Wikipedia.org is that the information is outdated.....

Try globalsecurity.org

It ain't perfect, but it's better than most "public" sites .... :)

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Look, all your info is bad in some way or other. I don't even want to try to straighten you out. Check out navy.mil www.fas.org globalsecurity.com and www.google.com.

Sorry if my answers piss you off but your basic info is circa 1990, I'm using a cellphone to type this and I'm at the jail waiting for a sailor to be released. So TS.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
j_m74 said:
The only thing that I found that seemed to be of substance was that the P-3 was sometimes outfitted for ASW,

Oh' my god that's funny. How could you avoid "finding out" that from 1958 to now that's the planes primary mission?

I guess the Navy or Marine Corps doesn't use Helicopters anymore...cause they were left out..

talk about slap in the face for them..

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
j_m74 said:
As far as me wanting to know a little more about the platform's future with the Navy - why not? I'm a taxpaying individual, so in effect that aircraft (and any following it) are mine (as well as 300 million others)! I understand most of this is not yet "public" knowledge, but then again it isn't classified or protected either and doesn't hurt to actually discuss it..

Because:
1. As a taxpayer, you pay me to not be a chatty Cathy about things that aren't "public" knowledge.
2. You are asking questions that are answered in detail on this site and many others that you have been refered too.
3. You are too lazy to look up stuff after you've been given the resources, so I am going to be too lazy to answer.
4. If you are just a taxpaying individual, how would you know if any of this is classified info? How do you know that this knowledge wouldn't hurt anything?