• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Aircraft Currently in Use/Soon to Retire..

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?
j_m74 said:
  • P-3/EP-3 - NAS Brunswick, NAS Jacksonville, MCAB Kaneohe Bay, McGuire AFB, NAF Atsugi, NS Rota , NAS Whidbey Island
  • FA-18 (A/B/C/D/E/F/G) - NAS Oceana, NAS Lemoore, NAF Atsugi, NAF Washington
  • E-6A - Tinker AFB
  • EA-6B - NAS Whidbey Island
  • S-3B - NAS North Island, NAS Jacksonville
  • E-2C - NS Norfolk, NAS Point Mugu
  • V-22 - ?
  • C-130 - ?

And then for the Marine Corps:

• AV-8B - MCAS Cherry Point, MCAS Yuma...
  • EA-6B - MCAS Cherry Point...
  • V-22 - MCB Camp Lejeune...
  • FA-18 (A/B/C/D/E/F) - MCAS Beaufort, MCAS Miramar, Japan...
  • C-130 - ?

*** Updated as of 6/16/2006 14:00 EST

If your talking reserves too. Add NAS JRB Fort Worth & NAS JRB Naw'lins for the Hornet in USN service. Add NAS Atlanta to the E-2 list. Add Atlanta & Fort Worth to the USMC F/A-18 list.

As for USN Hercs...
NAS JRB New Orleans
NAF Washington
NAS Brunswick
NAS JRB Willow Grove
NAS Pt Mugu
-
USMC Hercs...
MCAS Cherry Point
MCAS Miramar
NAS JRB Fort Worth
Stewart ANGB
MCAS Futenma

JIMMY

nocal80 said:
you've got your Marine Corps bases a little off, AV8's are at cherry point and Yuma, F18's are at beaufort, miramar, and japan. el toro is not an MCAS anymore.

sigh... i live right next to what used to be El Toro MCAS... how i miss watching flight ops...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
jpaviator said:
sigh... i live right next to what used to be El Toro MCAS... how i miss watching flight ops...
Do you miss the stink ??? Does it still stink ??? I.e., fertilizer and too many cows ??? 1966 ... BOQ El Toro :icon_smil :icon_smil community heads down the hall :icon_smil:icon_smil--- a "BOQ??? .... The pits.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nieuport 17

A4sForever said:
Do you miss the stink ??? Does it still stink ??? I.e., fertilizer and too many cows ??? 1966 ... BOQ El Toro :icon_smil :icon_smil community heads down the hall :icon_smil:icon_smil--- a "BOQ??? .... The pits.

One of the good things about the area was the Nieuport 17 restaurant in Tustin; a favorite watering hole for aviators and the visiting Blues. It's owned by a long retired Naval Aviator and he modeled the interior like the Red Baron's hunting lodge. The signed photos in the cocktail lounge read like a who's who in aviation history....Jimmy Doolittle, Jack Broughton....

If you're in the area, it's worth stopping by just to walk the walls and check out the art work and photos. Pretty decent food, too.

http://cuisinenet.com/info/?v=237&/los_angeles/rest/7669.shtml

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
^ Restaurants?? Back-in-the-Day???

Anyone herein remember/do Boom's @ Lindberg Field, San Dog???

94th Aero Squadron Dallas Love Field ???

Good places ....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Harrier Dude said:
Did you fly in there in a Yellow Peril?
Nope ... walked in .... but how did YOU know my date's name ???

dragon%20lady.jpg

BlkPny

pilot
In San Diego it was always Boom Trencard's by Lindberg Field, and Bully's in Pacific Beach for prime rib. Also, remember the JO Officer's Club right on the beach? Jeez I'm getting old.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
BlkPny said:
In San Diego it was always Boom Trencard's by Lindberg Field, and Bully's in Pacific Beach for prime rib. Also, remember the JO Officer's Club right on the beach? Jeez I'm getting old.
[threadjack continues]
You're not old ... we just had more "fun" than these pups do today ... didn't have to keep checking our "6" and sweating our career. :)

If I remember right:

Wednesday night: MCRD O' Club
Thursday night: Bully's La Jolla
Friday night: Miramar WOXOF ... then maybe MEX-PAC
Saturday night
: Warm up @ North Island JO O' Club, followed by din-din either at MEX-PAC or the Reuben E. Lee ??? Then back to the North Island JO O' Club for a nightcap.

Boom's .... Anytime was the right time.

The above list was alway subject to modification and improvment, depending on who was in town and why ... :)

And Sunday, Monday, Tuesday ... ??? We slept.

[/theadjack ... OUT]

BlkPny

pilot
Monday and Tuesday was the I-bar in the old BOQ right across the road from the VS hangers. VS-41 (about to be decommissioned), VS-37 Screwbirds, and VS-5 Sawbucks, if I remember correctly.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Proud Bird

A4sForever said:
^ Restaurants?? Back-in-the-Day???

Anyone herein remember/do Boom's @ Lindberg Field, San Dog???

94th Aero Squadron Dallas Love Field ???

Good places ....

IIRC - they are part of a chain with several similar locations at St Louis and Collge Park and the parent location at LAX perimeter (Proud Bird*). http://www.theproudbird.com/restaurant.html

*Proud Bird has a mini Aviation Museum sorrounding it...some are very accurate Movie replicas, but still very cool to sit there looking at approaching airliners and seeing a P-38, P-47, Bell X-1, Me-109, etc. and walking in under a P-51, Spitfire, F4U Corsair and a P-40 in AVG markings.

pic3.jpg

pic2.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
BlkPny said:
Monday and Tuesday was the I-bar in the old BOQ right across the road from the VS hangers. VS-41 (about to be decommissioned), VS-37 Screwbirds, and VS-5 Sawbucks, if I remember correctly.
That's right ... the I-Bar ... but we were usually "recovering Monday and Tuesday. You almost got 'em right ... better join us recovering Monday and Tuesday. :)

VS-33 Screwbirds and VS-37 Sawbucks. It rang a bell as the Sawbucks were in the AirWing on their last Stoof cruise ...

patch-vs33.gif
vs-37.gif

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BlkPny said:
Still the preferred locale for Prowler CQ hijinx. I hope it survives the VS sundown as it's the closest thing I have to an O club here.

Brett

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
BTW, the mighty Screwbirds just decomm'ed this past week. VS-41 goes in September (I think). Thankfully the I-Bar is still steaming along.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
VS-41 Deactivation

2sr2worry said:
BTW, the mighty Screwbirds just decomm'ed this past week. VS-41 goes in September (I think). Thankfully the I-Bar is still steaming along.

VS-41 will officially shut down in Sept alright, but the ceremony and days of party action go down in July. See: http://www.vs41.navy.mil/decom.htm