• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Hellcat to be pulled from Lake Michigan..

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looks like it's in pretty good shape (sans tail) considering it has been at the bottom of the lake for 70 years.

More photos here: link

BTW, it's a FM-2 Wildcat, not a Hellcat.
-ea6bflyr ;)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looks like it's in pretty good shape (sans tail) considering it has been at the bottom of the lake for 70 years.
Yeah, shows the big difference in corrosion between cold fresh lake water & warmer salty ocean.
BzB

jtmedli

pilot
That was my thought as well, when I visited Pearl Harbor recently.

Take the remains out, set up a columbarium or similar nearby, and then raise the Arizona. It would be the ultimate black eye to the Imperial Japanese Navy to have the Arizona sitting at anchor again, and make a great museum.

I think the black eye to the Imperial Japanese Navy was when we pulled the other half of our Navy up from the bed of Pearl Harbor and went over there and sank everything they had. Ya know, back when the Navy was more concerned with killing bad guys than doing NKOs and being on the PC Patrol.