• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Netflix recommendations?

Random8145

Contributor
Most of the "flight surgeons" I encountered were just slapdicks straight out of med school. One we called WebMD, bc we questioned if he ever was really educated in the medical field. 😆
I am thinking of Weird Al's "Like a Surgeon."

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I didn't go back and check to see how consistent they were, but at one point, I think they referred to her as the Physiologist, which is a very different animal than a Flight Doc. That would also explain why she was at the centerfuge.

It's possible she could be both, which seems like a huge get for the Blues.

I REALLY want to see a making of documentary. Some of the fixed position fly-by shots are insane.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
I didn't go back and check to see how consistent they were, but at one point, I think they referred to her as the Physiologist, which is a very different animal than a Flight Doc. That would also explain why she was at the centerfuge.

I REALLY want to see a making of documentary. Some of the fixed position fly-by shots are insane.
This should answer many of your questions: https://www.aboutamazon.com/news/entertainment/blue-angels-documentary-air-show-planes-pilots

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Most of the "flight surgeons" I encountered were just slapdicks straight out of med school. One we called WebMD, bc we questioned if he ever was really educated in the medical field. 😆

99% of them haven't even been to a residency program. They wouldn't be trusted to treat patients by themselves in the real medical world.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
99% of them haven't even been to a residency program. They wouldn't be trusted to treat patients by themselves in the real medical world.
That’s the thing about military doctors. It’s assumed they learn their trade in medical school, and therefore there is no training school or initial PQS pipeline for their designator. The Navy’s website says of new MDs that “Once [ODS] is complete, you will learn the ins and outs of life as a Navy Physician at your first assignment.” Even JDs who have already passed the bar exam still have to go to the JAG schoolhouse (NJS, 9-10 weeks) before going to the fleet.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
In my experience, they were crucial to getting you Ambien when needed on deployment....and possibly checking your nuts for cancer on an annual physical?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

Kevin Larosa, the helicopter pilot involved in most of aerial shots, is quite an accomplished pilot. Many of you would immediately recognize much of his aerial work in several modern movies including TG 2. His work here is sharp but I still wonder if a drone was used to capture some of the landing shots.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
That’s the thing about military doctors. It’s assumed they learn their trade in medical school, and therefore there is no training school or initial PQS pipeline for their designator. The Navy’s website says of new MDs that “Once [ODS] is complete, you will learn the ins and outs of life as a Navy Physician at your first assignment.” Even JDs who have already passed the bar exam still have to go to the JAG schoolhouse (NJS, 9-10 weeks) before going to the fleet.
It’s not like med school is hard…a dick is a dick and an asshole is an asshole.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
And amphetamines?
No, I believe those had to be signed of by a General...I just used Copenhagen and black coffee.

Copenhagen is like the Somali equivalent of Khat for southern rednecks like me.

Not advisable though.

Last edited:

taxi1

pilot
It's been a long time, not sure how far back it goes. In Brian Shul's Blue Angels: A Portrait of Gold, where he followed the Blue Angels for a year (1995 IIRC), he gave a pretty detailed explanation of how they flew mainly with their wrists while their arms rested on their thighs due to the precision needed to fly in such close formation with the 40 pound springs installed on their control sticks.

And then I found this from the Blue Angel's very own FAQ's:

Additionally, G-suits would detrimentally impact flight safety. The Boeing F/A-18's control stick is mounted between the pilot's legs. The Blue Angels have a spring tensioned with 40 pounds of pressure installed on the control stick that gives the pilot a "false feel." This allows the pilot minimal room for un-commanded movement. The pilots rest their right arms on their thighs for support and stability while flying. Therefore, inflating and deflating air bladders in a G-suit would interrupt this support and stability, causing un-commanded aircraft movement.
I call BS on the G-suit messing up the flying. You fly by pressure, not movement. I think it is all about the style points.

I base this on flopping around in a T-2C for a thousand hours or so, and zero hours in a Hornet.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Ya, she's attractive, but so what. The Blues doc has to keep the 6 demo pilots healthy to fly the demo 3 times a week, along with the travel schedule. The lack of g-suits can be hard on certain guys ( watch the "Year in the Life" vid to see a Marine get med dis-quailed). Also, if the boss get's sick, no show, so ya, the doc matters.
Tell us you have autocorrect disabled without telling us you have autocorrect disabled.

And… you totally know the flight doc is hot. Stop apologizing for thinking she is hot.
;)

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I call BS on the G-suit messing up the flying. You fly by pressure, not movement. I think it is all about the style points.

I base this on flopping around in a T-2C for a thousand hours or so, and zero hours in a Hornet.
Not the same thing. The g-suit thing is legit, especially with how close the diamond flies.

For anyone wondering why the Thunderbirds don’t do the same thing, it’s because USAF guys are weaker. Oh, and also, the F-16 has a side-stick with an arm cradle so the g-suit doesn’t affect any control inputs.

The -18 has a center stick, so the pilot’s right leg is a common arm rest / reference point while flying that the g-suit can affect as it inflates/deflates during maneuvers. Not a real problem until you’re flying 18” from three of your buddies.

…but mostly, USAF guys are weaker.
;)