• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Netflix recommendations?

johnboyA6E

None
That would be the son apparently, his dad was also a pilot who did movie work and is featured in a Military History Channel 'Mail Call' ad about the P-51 that I've seen about 3000 times (along with the M1 one, with R Lee Ermey delivering the line "open up enemy armor like a can of WHOOP ASS!").

"open up enemy armor like a can opener with an ATTITUDE!"

sorry, i've seen it over 5000 times :)

taxi1

pilot
3000+ hours in the A-4 and the only time I really used the rudder was in a slow speed fight, or during T.O. & landing. Single engine, center line thrust, jet propulsion - rudder just wasn't really needed 90% of the time.
Interesting reading about rudder and the Blue Angels. Coming from a rudder-first plane, I used it all the time for form micro-adjustments in the Buckeye. This article has some interesting anecdotes...

Watching the slot move over on takeoff...

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Valid point on dash 4 moving into the slot using rudder - cross controlling with the ailerons to keep wings level, probably the only time rudder use was really necessary in the A-4. I understand your point, coming from a multi-engine background, where rudder use is very important. I remember instructing in TA-4's and another IP talking about a stud using excessive rudder during formation flying. Turns out the stud had time in the civilian world flying gliders and was accustomed to employing large rudder inputs. My point is that minimal rudder use was the norm in the A-4, and why "Nordo" used the procedure he described to us. My only time in a Hornet was a few backseats when we were working with VFA-106 at Cecil, so I can't speak to present day Hornet formation scenarios.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Columbia: The Shuttle That Fell to Earth, originally a BBC production, streaming on HBO*. Doesn’t reveal anything new about the mishap, but takes the time to interview a lot of the crew’s families in detail - and it doesn't seem like it happened all that long ago until you see the kids that were grade schoolers at the time now being interviewed as adults and parents themselves. Also features several of the engineers who were involved in the foam strike analysis and tried to raise the alarm with management. I’d seen it once before in some other doc, but the moment when as part of the mishap investigation they finally fired a piece of ET foam at a wing leading edge panel to see what would happen, and it punches a hole big enough to stick your head through…you can hear audible gasps from the observers... Overall, well done doc and sometimes really tough to watch.

*I can’t bring myself to refer to it as “Max.”

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I just watched the trailer to the Blues doc, and it seemed like stunning cinematography. Not knowing anything about that craft, I was mainly curious about how they got those shots. It seemed like the camera was right next to them (the high Alpha pass).

Impressive film work IMO. I intend to watch the whole thing this weekend.