• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Netflix recommendations?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Hawaiian shirt in a 60 year old O-3 who gives 35 year old O-6s the middle finger does sound very Guard like.

And the Hornet scene had at least 3 throttle slams, and they shot hellfires.
On the first point you have something.

On the second, I was disappointed in the lack of cobra head maneuvers by the Hornet driver….who seemed kind of shaky for a guy flying in a no AA environment.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Yes it was. It was just hokey….and Crowe needs to lay off the donuts and all you can eat eateries.
It was as if his manager said, "you need to make some money - how about a Rambo movie?"

RC: "Love it, but manager, I'm fat and old, can I be a drone guy? Also, let's make the military look like a bunch of bafoons while we're at it."

Manager: "Say less, I know a couple of writers who will sell their soul."

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I could not get past the first 20'. It's too bad actually. Clearly had the resources technically to do better.
I agree, but I wonder if the USAF had some hand in it. The B-1 cockpit footage was pretty cool, but could have easily been stock footage.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I agree, but I wonder if the USAF had some hand in it. The B-1 cockpit footage was pretty cool, but could have easily been stock footage.
There was a little bit.

The AF needs to swallow their pride and ask the Navy how to do PR when it comes to Hollywood.

Flight of the Intruder, Top Gun (1 and 2), Toro Toro Toro, the Bridges of Toko Ri, Greyhound... versus Iron Eagle, Good Kill, and this BS movie...

At least the HBO Memphis Belle was good.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I haven't watched "Land of Bad," but walked into work one night as they were finishing watching it. I mentioned that the trailers made it look really bad and someone said, "Oh, you don't even know..."

The blue bands were a nice touch too

The AF needs to swallow their pride and ask the Navy how to do PR when it comes to Hollywood.

Tyler Grey has an amusing story about showing up to the set of Seal Team a couple of days before production started. The production crew had really done their homework to make sure they had all of the authentic costuming they needed for a story about Navy people who carried guns. This included the old-school LBE vests and, wait for it...Blueberry uniforms. They were Navy, right? That's their uniform (at the time).

He ended up reaching out to a buddy in NYC who did photo work for Crye and asked him to send everything he had. He probably wasn't going to get the gear back and there was no way to pay him for the gear. Later, that buddy became the actor for the dog handler character.

Random8145

Contributor
Battleship. Stealth. Pacific Rim. Hunter Killer.

Oh, wait… are we naming good movies??
;)
Pacific Rim was great I thought for what it was, and I liked Hunter Killer a lot, but then I know nothing about how U.S. submarines actually function and I imagine submarine personnel were probably blowing fuses over it being fake.

I've read The Hunt for Red October was meant to try to do for the Navy's sub force what Top Gun did for naval aviation (don't know if it succeeded).

Don't forget A Few Good Men.

A good movie also is K-19, with Harrison Ford, about the Soviet sub.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
IDK…I thought Broken Arrow was just slightly better than Hot Shots.

Still, if the Malaysian Air For e can do it, why not the USAF?