• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Gouge on Pilot Careers, straight from the 0-7 level

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOSWO

Naval Aviator, MH-60S Knighthawk
I still have not heard about this idea anywhere but here, and I can tell you that the Navy is a bit overmanned in the pilots ranks, so to draw pilots from an even larger pool of personel is a bit odd....but then again, I cant even tell you where my Comminity will be next year so to be able to tell you the types of pilots that will man it is a bit out of my reach!!!

And Chuck, I salute you for your service in flying the mighty 46....I have all of 2 hours in that beast.....man that was a blast, but I did miss my nice cushy 60 when all was said and done....only problem with the HC world right now is that while merging with HS for the NSW "expertise" we are also taking on some of their more uptight personality....which is a shame, although an FNG in the community myself, I am gonna make sure the HC way of life is not forgot :)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
NOSWO - The guys (and gals) who are on their CO tour in the HC squadrons now were all peers of mine and I remember a lot of them as JO's and if they are still the same people I deployed with and cut our teeth together as nuggets - I think you all will be fine :) You have people leading you who have enormous amounts of common sense and are extraordinary people. It really comes down to that when you have things change.

The merging thing I think is a win in a couple of ways. First you have real representation of your mission and capabilities - equal to other Squadron CO's - while you are deployed. The Det model can be great in ways but you are chopped operationally to the captain of a CLF ship and HC would miss mission opportunities to highlight our capabilities and expertise - and also get tasked for more mission areas that would make you eligible for better training, equipment, flight hours (you wouldn't believe the battles that were fought to get NVG's for HC).

Also now you have the ability to get a fitrep from your CO who sees you in action deployed - with meaningful comments and grades that are in line with your operational performance as an officer and aviator. This was a huge boon for HS guys for years that selection boards really honed in on.

I think the HSC concept will take some getting used to but all in all I think it is an incredible time to be where you are -Man am I jealous!!! You know there was a time when HC guys were viewed by the other services as at the top of their game - I'm talking HC-7, HC-1 vietnam era. The Navy lost that and folks like the Air Force (flying the MH-53J and HH-60) and the Army SOAR guys started setting the standard as far as what the capabilities of rotary wing really are. The Navy is finally adopted a mindset that values the helo community and the flexibility of the non-ASW folks.

You HC guys will have an amazing career. I am looking forward to reading about it!

Oh, by the way - what squadron are you in? 6, 8? 5? 11?

I have the privalage of having my "gay Bruce" patch still on my leather jacket - of course now I get to wear my jacket when I run to Starbuck's in the morning!

Reactions: bch

NOSWO

Naval Aviator, MH-60S Knighthawk
Well lets just say I dont pass through the "happy door" to the Gay Bruce spaces if I can help it :) ....

I would be looking more forward to the whole transition thing if it were more clear as to what was gonna happen, lots of talk about the Block 3's and when we will get them, but that they didnt budget enough upgrades for all the birds that we will have....

If we were gonna go ahead and pick up the mission of the HCS guys that are in the thick of things that would be great, but who knows.........

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
NOSWO said:
I still have not heard about this idea anywhere but here, and I can tell you that the Navy is a bit overmanned in the pilots ranks, so to draw pilots from an even larger pool of personel is a bit odd....but then again, I cant even tell you where my Comminity will be next year so to be able to tell you the types of pilots that will man it is a bit out of my reach!!!
Like I've said before some of this came out officially and some of it came out as "Hey, this is what we are thinking about doing." I don't mean for this to sound like a know all be all post. I thought some of this was interesting so I posted it to get validation and debate going. Apparently some of this stuff is in its infancy while other parts are already happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.