• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New UAV pilots 'winged'

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So it has finally happened, the USAF graduated it's first class of pilots without flight training to fly UAV's. It is still an 'experimental' program, only eight officers graduated, but I think it is a portend of things to come.

Curiosity question, what kind of 'wings' will these guys be wearing? Any USAF types know? I imagine they may have to come up with new ones here soon if this becomes standard.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Clearly, a sign of the apocalypse.
"The new training program is four to six months and includes basic flight screening and equipment training."
Wish these folks well in this new career path...

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
This blows. This is a poke in the eye to every poor unlucky schlub who busted his ass through UPT and got UAVs as a consolation prize.

It really makes me feel safe to know that they don't even care if the person at the controls has any air sense. These damn things are being piloted by someone who has completed IFS and played a bit of MS FlightSimX. Awesome.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Do they really need "air sense?" It seems a waste to actually put someone through extensive flight training when he won't actually fly anything. At least they are now being upfront about the shaft-job, rather than going through all of UPT and then getting crushed come selection-time. This might be a good compromise between the fully-trained-pilot model the USAF had before and the enlisted technician model the other services are using.

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
Do they really need "air sense?" It seems a waste to actually put someone through extensive flight training when he won't actually fly anything. At least they are now being upfront about the shaft-job, rather than going through all of UPT and then getting crushed come selection-time. This might be a good compromise between the fully-trained-pilot model the USAF had before and the enlisted technician model the other services are using.

Do you like someone controlling something that is flying in your airspace, low visibility, and yet can kill you just as easily as smashing into a mountain with significantly less appreciation for the dangers of aviation than we had pounded into us throughout flight school and nothing more than a cursory introduction to what goes on in the skies? I don't.

And most of the dudes taking UAVs right now are going on to a manned platform afterwards. It's not like their wings are being wasted on being an RC airplane pilot. This is one idea I hope the air force fighter/bomber gods crush like a bug.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do you like someone controlling something that is flying in your airspace, low visibility, and yet can kill you just as easily as smashing into a mountain with significantly less appreciation for the dangers of aviation than we had pounded into us throughout flight school and nothing more than a cursory introduction to what goes on in the skies? I don't.

+1,000,000. RC plane or not, you're still flying in actual airspace with actual other airplanes. UAV airspace deconfliction is a HUGE problem even as it is. Pred guys have no way (that I know of) of scanning for traffic, the only 'eyes' they have are pointed at the ground, and since the pilots are on the other side of the world, it's not like someone can give them a call on Guard. There were multiple near-midairs over Fallujah, almost all caused by UAV's zipping through CAS stacks and changing stations and altitudes without talking to anyone. And that was with trained 'real' pilots at the controls.

Tactical UAVs are one thing - the very low altitudes and very slow speeds they fly at means they're not as dangerous to everyone else. But big-boy UAVs (Preds, Reaper, etc) are flying up in big-boy airspace with everyone else.

I know the AF is hurting for Pred pilots and this is an attempt to streamline the training pipeline, but this is an unambiguously awful idea, and I'm afraid it'll take a Class-A or two before it gets changed.

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot

For the most part, though, I wouldn't imagine these planes are doing any dynamic flight maneuvers that would require them to be aware of anyone else in the area. I'm just speculating, since I have never been in theater or talked to a UAV pilot, but I'd imagine they stay at a specific altitude and just weave back and forth. I'm sure a UAV pilot is more worried about ground fire vs a stall/OCF, and therefore does not require the intensive training to learn the stick and monkey skills.

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
I bounced with one in the pattern at CRP post hurricane Ike. Disconcerting, at best. Really effing hard to see, too.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I wouldn't imagine these planes are doing any dynamic flight maneuvers that would require them to be aware of anyone else in the area. I'm just speculating, since I have never been in theater or talked to a UAV pilot, but I'd imagine they stay at a specific altitude and just weave back and forth.

Not what I've seen... They aren't doing ACM, but they are more dynamic when moving between target decks than you would think. They are DAMN HARD to see as well...

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
And most of the dudes taking UAVs right now are going on to a manned platform afterwards. It's not like their wings are being wasted on being an RC airplane pilot. This is one idea I hope the air force fighter/bomber gods crush like a bug.

Aren't they always going to be "behind" their peers though? Even if they go to a manned platform for follow-ons, when they are getting their initial form/section, yatta, yatta...their peers have been there, done that. Seems like they might be the "odd-balls" right out of the gate. As caste-oriented as the AF is, these poor bastards really are bastards!

It seems putting them in inexpensive fixed-wings on the side to have some kind of currency at Creech would be money wellspent. Maybe some T-6's?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
UAV Ops

So it has finally happened, the USAF graduated it's first class of pilots without flight training to fly UAV's. It is still an 'experimental' program, only eight officers graduated, but I think it is a portend of things to come.

Curiosity question, what kind of 'wings' will these guys be wearing? Any USAF types know? I imagine they may have to come up with new ones here soon if this becomes standard.

First of all "pilots without wings" are NOT pilots! They are Operators akin to Radar Operators, so "wing" devices are not appropriate. Given the USAF appetite for pin devices, perhaps an operator console with Kiwi Bird wings (cause they don't fly either!).:icon_tong

Secondly, regarding flight pay, if extra monthly $$$ is considered for this duty, it should NOT be called "flight pay".:(

Thirdly, I have heard rumblings about UAV Operators being recommended for Air Medals/DFCs for uniquely successful strikes! If so, that is/would be a corruption of the military awards system and a slap in the face to Military Aviators/Air Crewmen who have received these prestigious awards.
My $.02 BzB:D

exhelodrvr

pilot
For the most part, though, I wouldn't imagine these planes are doing any dynamic flight maneuvers that would require them to be aware of anyone else in the area. I'm just speculating, since I have never been in theater or talked to a UAV pilot, but I'd imagine they stay at a specific altitude and just weave back and forth. I'm sure a UAV pilot is more worried about ground fire vs a stall/OCF, and therefore does not require the intensive training to learn the stick and monkey skills.

"I wouldn't imagine these planes are doing any dynamic flight maneuvers that would require them to be aware of anyone else in the area."

Ever have a 172 fly straight and level through the traffic pattern at an air station?