• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New UAV pilots 'winged'

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I really doubt the guys selected to control the UAV's will be transferred to manned aircraft. At the end of their tour, I really believe that the Air Force will tell them to stay on for another. The UAS is an in demand resource and the number of these systems are increasing. I think these guys just got the shaft.

What are they going to do with this "career pipeline" when the war is over and the UAV demand drastically decreases?

These aviation fields better watch out:

Attachments

• crop-duster1.jpg
    crop-duster1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 39
  • police helicopter.jpg
    police helicopter.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 37
  • news copter.jpg
    news copter.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 36

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't know if anyone has brought this up or not, but I have been wondering what will happen if we ever fight a technologically savy country such as China. What happens when they Jam our shit or completely disable/takeover our UAVs and use them against us, or blow up some of our satellites. I know it seems far fetched, but if we can jam peoples shit up with prowlers growlers, whats to say it can't happen to us.

AW doesn't have a monopoly of thinking of things like that. It is something on the mind of the people who know a lot more about such things than you or I. Like Zab siad......

Again, we aren't talking high-school RC aeroclub. There are teams of folks addressing these issues.

Perhaps, but a competitive country is also going to have "teams of guys" working on their shit as well. Lets just hope we are either more successful at hacking/jammiing their stuff then they are of ours. Technology is awesome but over reliance can lead to huge problems.......Furthermore, I am even more skeptical of these types of programs when big paygrades, jobs, and politics are all on the line. Excuse me for not putting blind faith into the future of skynet.

Who says it even has to be a country? Frequency deconfliction, usage, vulnerability and bandwidth priorities are all things that are being heavily engaged by a myriad of people and agencies right now. It almost entirely goes on behind the scenes but that does not mean a lot of work is not going on, and a lot fo it is good work. While they may not catch or get everything right, don't make the assumption that you are the first to think of this or that the people handling it are dumbasses.

FlyinRock

AW doesn't have a monopoly of thinking of things like that. It is something on the mind of the people who know a lot more about such things than you or I. Like Zab siad......

Who says it even has to be a country? Frequency deconfliction, usage, vulnerability and bandwidth priorities are all things that are being heavily engaged by a myriad of people and agencies right now. It almost entirely goes on behind the scenes but that does not mean a lot of work is not going on, and a lot fo it is good work. While they may not catch or get everything right, don't make the assumption that you are the first to think of this or that the people handling it are dumbasses.
Like it or not fellas, this new tech is the wave of the future and I have been crying the blues about it for more than 20 years. Just a matter of time until we are all just driving a computer. Not far from it already. Glad I am about to retire from the cokpit and can remember wood and fabric airplanes right up to the space age.
Semper fi
Rocky

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
But think of how much better your see and avoid doctrine is now compared to when you first started flying. Less flying expeerience means less quality in communications and airspace operations. Planes can fly themselves so I'm not worried about stick skills, but what I am worried about is the UAV operator with limited time who booms through your section or division with complete lack of SA and Comms.

Of course my see and avoid has improved drastically from my first day in the seat. However, I can still utilize the Mark-1 Eyeball and aim it any direction I so choose. UAVs generally focus straight ahead or down. Factor that in with trying to spot a spec (think of the notorious Fred Hills T-45-In-The-Face tactics) on a computer screen. Unless the damn thing has synthetic vision with Terminator style radar tracking, I don't think it will matter who the pilot is. Comms obviously will be lacking with the boot operator, but then again, who else will provide in-flight comedic relief?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not all UAS are created equal, and many have better SA (top down and comms even with delay) than some of the "manned" aircraft in theater. I have flown extensively with these platforms in theater and I have had more "close calls" with manned aircraft straying outside their KILLBOX or those that weren't up with the same controller.

Lost link plans are in place, and just like refueling tracks and ROZs there are those places to avoid if necessary.

I personally think a UAS operator that was instrumental in saving lives or mission success supporting ground forces is deserving of a medal, not for valor, but a medal none-the-less.

I am just happy the low tier UAS that are launched from ground forces can't reach up to my flight level, they would concern me, and from what I hear concern the helo bubbas greatly.

Bottom line, I think a bunch of ppl in this thread are getting their panties in a bunch for nothing. Majority of you have no clue how our present day UAS system works and the safeguards built into it. Just like many of you would probably have a difficult time explaining the ACP, ACM, procedural control and varying airspace requirements in theater including many of the limitations that VARY GREATLY FROM US AND ICAO RULES. UAS is here to stay, they are professionals, and as we are continuing to learn, the UAS platforms aren't the end all that we always thought them to be, and can't replace manned aircraft in all mission sets.

John

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
I would imagine these UAV's would have some sort of IFF/transponder or something that can be interrogated by other aircraft or controllers.

I haven't heard of any midair collisions involving operational UAVs (not that I would have heard in the first place); I think this is a testament to the program.

I just would find it hard to believe that the predator would take off and dilly dally around uncontrolled and 'VFR' above FL 180 (especially in theater).

Then again, I don't know jack sh*t about what goes on overseas, so consider this verbal "self reflection" if someone knows otherwise...

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
I haven't heard of any midair collisions involving operational UAVs (not that I would have heard in the first place); I think this is a testament to the program.

I just would find it hard to believe that the predator would take off and dilly dally around uncontrolled and 'VFR' above FL 180 (especially in theater).

You don't hear about it because the guys with Mark 1 eyeballs do this thing called "see and avoid" the UAVs.

They are generally operating at block altitudes in the AOR, and usually at a block lower than where the "manned" aircraft are. The potential conflicts of this are ENDLESS when employing weapons and performing shows of force.

There are many, many conflicts, and avoidance actions from the manned folks are what keeps there from being flaming wreckage all over the place. The UAV operators probably are never even aware that there was a conflict in the first place.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Stop being so Chair Force-ish, it's flight pay to everyone who gets it.

Well, I'm not the one who had the aneurysm about what it was called in the first place....so kinda barking up the wrong tree with this one on the "Chair Force" comment.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I, for one, welcome our new robotic overlords.

I think Bart Simpson's military school commandant said it best:

"The wars of the future will not be fought on the battlefield or at sea. They will be fought in space, or possibly on top of a very tall mountain. In either case, most of the actual fighting will be done by small robots. And as you go forth today remember always your duty is clear: To build and maintain those robots."

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
This is nothing new for the AF - it wouldn't surprise me if they gave the guy swabbing the head some kind of wings and told him he's a member of the 69th Janitorial Services Squadron.

Well if he's swabbing the head instead of the latrine then he can document the experience and self-nominate for joint credit too. :D

blackbart22

pilot
Having spent hundreds and hundreds of hours being flung about desert skies by a guy sitting in a yellow van on the ground, I was very glad that he had twenty years of experience driving manned aircraft. His insight also helped protect us from some of the more outlandish stuff that flight test engineers wanted to try. As far as seeing the drones, on more than one occasion while being vectored in on a BQM-34, the control has said, "You plots have merged" and you still have not got a visual. All that being said, being current in five antique jets was the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Reminds me of the TV ad with the kids getting promised a pony or a red truck: they got trick f**ked! At least NFOs know they will never be pilots when they start flight training. These guys entered flight training w/ the promise & expectation of being designated [USAF] pilots at the end of the pipeline. Instead, they got this. I'd be pissed. JMHO.

jtmedli

pilot
Reminds me of the TV ad with the kids getting promised a pony or a red truck: they got trick f**ked! At least NFOs know they will never be pilots when they start flight training. These guys entered flight training w/ the promise & expectation of being designated [USAF] pilots at the end of the pipeline. Instead, they got this. I'd be pissed. JMHO.

Part of the reason I got out of AFROTC was because I was not about to bust my arse and suck up to get a pilot spot so I can kill myself in B.F.E. Texas so that I could fly something from a trailer in B.F.E. Texas. Needless to say, I agree with you.