• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

newb: chat with online AF advisor

turbocharged

1st post warning: I have trolled around on here enough to know my first post is going to get flamed to hell, but you got to learn to swim sometime, right? also im not 100% sure if this section is where it belongs, feel free to move it accordingly.

here goes. im getting ready to take ASTB and apply for BDCP. i was curious to see if the AF could offer anything remotely as apealing as the BDCP. I went to their website, and decided to chat with an advisor online, BAD IDEA. the conversation is below, I felt like he was almost condesending, much unlike my local navy recuiter.

kyle: im still a student, what programs does the air force offer (similar to the navy's BDCP program) for people to get started while still earning their degree?
Max: You can contact AF ROTC and apply.
kyle: thats all that the air force offers?
Max: We offer the highest quality of life.. Our program is extremely popular...
kyle: i understand, but the navy is offering to pay me as on O-3 until i graduate school, which gives earlier promotions, etc. i was really hoping the air force would be competitive to that, because you have more planes that i would be interested in flying
Max: You will graduate as an 0-1.. when you complete PIlot Training.. if you meet our requirements and high standards to apply.. the selection is fierce.
kyle: im sorry, they are paying as an E-3 until i graduate, and i understand that trusting anyone with a multi million dollar air craft merits stringent selection, but i know i have what it takes, i was just trying to find the best fit for me.
Max: That is the same as our AF ROTC is.... or you can Enlist, take advantage of our tuition assistance program, to earn your college degree.. we pay for it.. and then apply for Officers Training School (OTS), and PIlot Training.
kyle: only with BDCP i dont have to take extra classes and come to manditory pf 3 times a week, nor do i have to hassle with wearing a uniform to pass inspections once a week. its entirely different actually.
Max: Then, join the Navy
kyle: haha, well i sure appreciate your time, you have been EXTREMLY helpful and informative.
Max: You're welcome.

I'd hate to venture out and call someone that could possibly be an AF officer a douchebag, but i felt his attitude was more than enough to steer me clear away from the AF in the matter of a few minutes.

looking forward to flying (something) for the worlds greatest navy!

kyle

ps: what % get jets :icon_tong

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Interesting... I hope that guys is not an officer, I can't imagine that would be a job assigned to an officer, but you never know.

It sounds like he made your decision pretty easy. From what I have gathered around here BDCP is the best officer program around.

One thing he said appears to be wrong, it's not clear quite what he meant. You go to Pilot training AFTER you become an O-1, the same as in the Navy.

turbocharged

I'm sure he's not an officer, probably some contracted hack that sits infront of a computer 8 hours a day chatting with people.

WVUBetaHornet

Sweep the leg..
I'm sure he's not an officer, probably some contracted hack that sits infront of a computer 8 hours a day chatting with people.

Well, whatever/whoever he is...he didn't seem to know much about his own branches programs, at least enough to rebut accordingly to simple questions that anybody would ask on any given day...he's probably contemplating transferral to the NAVY after that conversation, knowing there would be more in his 'arsenal' to play with...and no ironed flight suits, so to speak..:D

EDIT: Cranium, Container

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
They are not officers.....when I was looking into other options if I did not get picked up for NFO to pilot, it was an E5 on there talking down to me. Needless to say their deals are never as good as the Navy. Quality of life in the desert is not as high as that on a carrier....unless you are enlisted. Air National Guard guys don't want to even be associated with those goombas. Welcome to the Navy turbocharged!

HueyCobra8151

pilot
wtf...

Maybe I am brain-washed by the Marine Corps, but why is it that in asking about military SERVICE, the first thing mentioned is the highest quality of life...

If your #1 goal is a high quality of life, then why commit to the military at all? There are many jobs out there with infinitely better "quality of life."

AJB37

That conversation makes me very glad that I only talked to the Navy and Marines about flying... plus I don't own an iron.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That conversation makes me very glad that I only talked to the Navy and Marines about flying... plus I don't own an iron.

You'll need one...for these:

war8.jpg