• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

newb: chat with online AF advisor

TheGreatWaldo

pilot
Turbocharged, not to deter you from the Navy....but I wouldn't let wearing a uniform once a week and going to PT 3 times a week be the deciding factor for which service to join (considering you already stated that the AF has more planes you are interested in flying). If you get on an AFROTC scholarship, you can get reimbursed for your tuition, money for books, and a monthly stipend to spend however you want. If you already have scholarships that pay for your tuition, then guess what?....you get to pocket the tuition money too. All I'm saying, is that there are more important decisions (IMHO) to picking a service than how much shite I have to go through while I'm in college.

turbocharged

the thing is, im in electrical engineering at UL... which is one of the better engineering schools in the country...which carries with it a hard/heavy class load. im spending this semester trying to clean up my GPA to qualify for BDCP, and trying to pay for it (aka working full time). i dont have the time/energy to wake up at 3am and work/study until 1am. BDCP would really allow me to focus entirely on school, creating a much better 'quality of life' while in college. plus in order to get the AFROTC scholar ship, you must be in for a year to qualify... even then you have the possibility of not being chosen. seeing as i only have about 2 years of college left, doesnt seem much like a worthwhile endevor to me. BDCP all the way, and ill hope and pray that i can qualify for a good selection :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
vf13_67.jpg

HEY!!! I know three of those guys .... and one of them was a gun instructor of mine in VT-4 @ Pensacola.

And unfortunately, one of them was ... let us just say, a "less than satisfatory adherent" to the Code of Conduct while a "guest" of the NV's in Hanoi. He's a disgrace to the uniform.

That is not bullshit. That comes first hand from a guy I flew with in the airlines and who was with "him" in the Hilton. HE (my guy) was the "real deal" and a long-time POW .... not the specimen pictured above.

*EDIT* ... BTW, this has been confirmed by "more than one" source ....

Sorry to post such a downer. It's unfortunate ... but things like that happen, and we need to be aware of them, don't we???

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
HEY!!! I know three of those guys .... and one of them was a gun instructor of mine in VT-4 @ Pensacola.

And unfortunately, one of them was ... let us just say, a "less that satisfatory adherent" to the Code of Conduct while a "guest" of the NV's in Hanoi. He's a disgrace to the uniform.

That is not bullshit. That comes first hand from a guy I flew with in the airlines and who was with "him" in the Hilton. HE (my guy) was the "real deal" and a long-time POW .... not the specimen pictured above.

Sorry to post such a downer. It's unfortunate ... but things like that happen, and we need to be aware of them, don't we???

Apparently a staff member at my school also served some time at the hilton with Mccain. You don't have any info on some AF pilots, do you?
:)

HuggyU2

None
You don't have any info on some AF pilots, do you?
What would you like to know? For 3 years, I was the co-organizer of the annual POW Dining-In at Randolph AFB. It was primarily attended by the USAF POW's, but all were/are welcome.
As A4s stated, there were a small number of POW's that did not attain the minimum standard expected. For obvious reasons, they avoid all dealings with the rest of the POW's to this day.

On the subject of POW's, Jerry Driscoll, a great American and 7 year POW, is always in Box 105 (he flew the F-105) at the Reno Air Races. Here's a photo of us taken this year.

Attachments

• Driscoll.JPG
    Driscoll.JPG
    261 KB · Views: 79

jazzdude

If you get on an AFROTC scholarship, you can get reimbursed for your tuition, money for books, and a monthly stipend to spend however you want. If you already have scholarships that pay for your tuition, then guess what?....you get to pocket the tuition money too.

Exactly what I did (I guess that amounts to admitting I'm AF). Basically I pocketed the stipend, as I had scholarships to cover housing, and the AF of course paid for tuition.

I'd recommend it to anyone on any sort of ROTC scholarship: go out and apply for other scholarships. Its a little more work on your part, but hey, its free money.

magnetfreezer

If you already have scholarships that pay for your tuition, then guess what?....you get to pocket the tuition money too.

Are you sure about this? When I went through the AF paid the university directly since the funds were strictly for tuition purposes (I had a tuition waiver from another source my first semester and only received the stipend since they would not allow double dipping).

jazzdude

Are you sure about this? When I went through the AF paid the university directly since the funds were strictly for tuition purposes (I had a tuition waiver from another source my first semester and only received the stipend since they would not allow double dipping).

The AF does pay the university directly for tuition. However, unless your other scholarship(s) also stipulates "tuition only" you should be fine. I lived in the dorms, and the college let me pay for dorms using any money that was put in my account from scholarships. Any excess, and the college cut you a check at the end of the year. At least that's my experience at U of Washington.

Having other scholarships allowed me to also tell the AF not to pay my last quarter of tuition so I could remain eligible for the GI Bill without worrying about how to cover tuition.