• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO to Pilot

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Good on you HAL (like you need my approval...). An old DH was one of the last E-2 AEGIS exchange NFOs and wears his. Amazingly enough, we no longer exchange with them. Who'd have thought.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I heard the anti-aviation SWOs eventually won and changed the rules a few years latter. The new RO's philosophy was that any unrestricted line officer could wind up in command of a ship and should have the opportunity to earn SWO as a professional challenge/development. Kind of like the Marines and TBS. I agree. I learned a lot about the Navy and it helped me tremendously on my DH tour interfacing with the battle group and on my joint tour.
You know this philosophy is awefully close to Steve's. I'd like to know what he thinks of what you experienced trying to become an ubernaval officer.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am a proud future SNFO...
This is probably good, cause after reading your post about Carrier Strike Groups, its probably a good thing SWO is not in your future. ;)

IHTFP said:
As a point of reference, there were five NFO to Pilot lateral transfers this year. For the whole Fleet. All were LTs, but strangely enough, four of them had M last names. As a McC, I was excited to find this out.:D
Settle down, Beavis. Next year, they'll all be N last names...and so on until they get back to M again. This is just the way it works. You're stuck, my friend.

IHTFP said:
Kind of on a similar vein, for Powerleverlock, do you think that flight school a second time was easier, since you already had so much experience as a NFO?
This question is moot. See my explanation above.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is it still possible as an aviator to earn a swo pin while on a disassociated tour?
Just to reiterate what has already been said, the answer to your question is no you cannot. Around the year 2000, the Navy decided that only certain designators (116X/119X in URL communities and a number of different designators in LDO and CWO communities) would be eligible to attain the "Surface Warfare Qualified" designation and therefore, allowed to wear the corresponding warfare pin. That being said, you can still earn AQD's (Additional Qualification Designators) for qualifiying as OOD (U/W), TAO, or EOOW.

For more info on it, you can read the instruction at: http://neds.daps.dla.mil/Directives/1412_2h.pdf

IMO, I don't think aviators should be allowed to qualify SWO. I'll even go so far as to say that the LDO's and Warrants shouldn't be able to quality SWO either.
Flash said:
Not anymore. A skipper of mine a few years ago had one but he said the SWO's were getting offended when Aviators were earning them on thier diassociated sea tours (he was an ANAV) and got the regs changed so that only a SWO designated officer could earn the pin.
SWO's weren't getting offended that aviators in particular were earning the pin...it's that they WEREN'T earning it. What was happening way way too often was that the CO's (aviator bubbas) were hooking up their fellow aviators. One thing to note here is that an OOD letter does not equal a SWO pin.
HAL Pilot said:
I did it on the TR in 1993-94 and I wore them afterward....And yeah, there were politics everywhere trying to stop me.

I heard the anti-aviation SWOs eventually won and changed the rules a few years latter
I've heard your story before and I'll just say that it was rare for an aviator to actually earn the pin. It sounds to me like you did. But anti-aviation?? Come on now. Do you really think I'm anti-aviation?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
BTW, NAC wings are not a warfare pin and you can wear it with NFO/Pilot wings, but not the EAWS pin (officially).

Why can't you wear NAC with EAWS? As mentioned above NAC is not a warfare qual, and obviously EAWS is. In fact all the AW's in my community always b!tch about why they can't wear NAC "above" EAWS instead of the other way around. I don't blame them though. I have earned neither, but I know that earning NAC is waaay more demanding than EAWS.

Goober

None
Think he meant you can't wear EAWS w/ pilot/NFO since technically the pilot/NFO wings are "warfare" per the regs. Regs say you CAN continue to wear enlisted warfare pins until earning an equivalent officer warfare insignia. Since Aircrew (Naval or Marine Combat) are their own category and not "warfare," priors like Brett and myself get to keep wearing them.

Never got my EAWS - just couldn't see moving the gold wings down. Like I said before, a few months w/a PQS that a YN or PN could do just didn't compare to NASC, A-school, acoustic/EW schools, and a full RAG syllabus (this was way back before it became mandatory for advancement).

IHTFP

Terrorists Conspirators are EVERYWHERE
This is probably good, cause after reading your post about Carrier Strike Groups, its probably a good thing SWO is not in your future. ;)
Nah, just a good thing that policy making isn't in my future. I actually had a blast on my SWO cruise 2/c year. Most of the enlisted guys had no idea what to make out of me...not only did I keep wearing officer-esque uniforms, but I was WAY too enthusistic about painting and chipping. I finally just wore dungarees, everyone thought I was fresh out of boot, and they let me do sweepers every day. Good times.

Settle down, Beavis. Next year, they'll all be N last names...and so on until they get back to M again. This is just the way it works. You're stuck, my friend.
That's like getting stuck with a Maxim girl instead of a Playmate. Sure, I'd rather have the Playmate, but I'm sure as hell not going to complain....

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
SWO's weren't getting offended that aviators in particular were earning the pin...it's that they WEREN'T earning it. What was happening way way too often was that the CO's (aviator bubbas) were hooking up their fellow aviators.
I agree with this one. It wasn't happening on the TR but I heard of a few squadron COs being hooked up. I think aviators should be allowed to earn a SWO pin, but I think the senior SWO on the carrier needs to be in charge of the qualification. This is usually a post command, Captain select. Although the CO (the aviator) signs the designation letter, he should not be able to do so until the senior SWO recommends it. That was how it worked on the TR when I was there and I was also told that when I earned my pin, I was the first aviator ever to do so on the TR.

Steve Wilkins said:
I've heard your story before and I'll just say that it was rare for an aviator to actually earn the pin. It sounds to me like you did. But anti-aviation?? Come on now. Do you really think I'm anti-aviation?
It's funny, I actually think I earned my pin more so than the baby SWOs did. They never went TAD to a surface combatant. The old SWOS was good enough for them. I probably could have skipped the Spru can, but the yards were killing me and I wanted to do it right. When the RO asked how I was going to make up for SWOS, I said send me TAD. I think he thought I would come running back with my tail between my legs.

And no, I do not think you are anti-aviation. You probably would have been in the 1/2 who supported my efforts. Although you occasionally demonstrate stereotypical SWOness, you also show you can rise above it.....:D

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Like I said before, a few months w/a PQS that a YN or PN could do just didn't compare ......
Them's fighting words mister, don't make me lose your Christmas leave chit, or send a diary entry on you to EPMAC as a "loss", or put my "swizzle stick" in your coffee when I bring it to you with a big smile :D

Sheez, no respect for the power of administration, and the efficiency of red tape I tell you!! BTW, I "earned" my YN crow, it wasn't given to me like Steve's SWO pin on his graduation from SWOs, no sir, I had to type 20 words a minute to class out of the typing pool, had to successfully file reams of paper without getting a papercut, and to entry this valued rate, you know what? the recruiter said, "John my boy, you are OVERQUALIFIED for the nuke pipeline, why your ASVAB score of 32 gets you a job as a YN... you DON'T need to be a Nuke... now just sign this line right here...."

/end threadjack

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BTW, I "earned" my YN crow, it wasn't given to me like Steve's SWO pin on his graduation from SWOs, no sir...
Now see, you don't have to go and get all nasty like that, spreading hogwash around. We have impressionable minds on this site, minds that you are personally responsible for. Besides, the real truth is that SWO's (most of them) have to prove themselves out in the fleet before getting their pin, unlike aviators who just have to graduate from the training pipeline.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
unlike aviators who just have to graduate from the training pipeline.
Hey! I resemble that remark!

We have impressionable minds on this site, minds that you are personally responsible for.
No, there you have it quite wrong... I delegated that responsibility to Brett, Schnugg, Hal and A4s (I think 3 NFOs = 1 pilot, no?, maybe age wise!!, oh god, here comes the flame war in bold type and hijacked images).... My only responsibility is making those foo-foo drinks you are so fond of, and basically not letting anyone steal my swingline stapler from my cubicle (it's all I really have mind you)...

Besides, the real truth is that SWO's (most of them) have to prove themselves out in the fleet before getting their pin
Steve, Steve, Steve.... the REAL TRUTH is that SWOs still have to prove themselves out in the Fleet AFTER they get their pin.... to the rest of us Aviators... who loves ya?

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree with this one. It wasn't happening on the TR but I heard of a few squadron COs being hooked up. I think aviators should be allowed to earn a SWO pin, but I think the senior SWO on the carrier needs to be in charge of the qualification.
I personally think some of the problems we have as a community stem from the fact that we aren't our own community. I think there is a lot to be said of being able be a part of a unique group. I personally don't attach my worth as a human being to any group I'm a part of or certainly to any shiny thing on my uniform. However, as far as group dymanics are concerned, a group of people that are bonded by one or more variables and can be distinguished from all other groups are more likely to produce positive results. I think our qual should be open to ONE URL community - SWO's. But I'll qualify that and say that I think our community should focus on tactical proficiency much, much sooner than we do. And that means, much much more training early on (as in immediately after commissioning). The aviators spend buku bucks on each and every aviator. With the technology currently available, there is no reason why the SWO community cannot train baby SWO's to a much higher degree of proficiency than is currently being done--or has been done in the past with baby SWOS. The SWO qual should have all that training attached to it as a requirement, but it doesn't and probably never will.

HAL Pilot said:
It's funny, I actually think I earned my pin more so than the baby SWOs did. They never went TAD to a surface combatant. The old SWOS was good enough for them. I probably could have skipped the Spru can, but the yards were killing me and I wanted to do it right.
I'm guessing you're probably referring to the baby SWO's on the carrier, and I would agree with you 100%. I've seen first hand what SWO's do on a carrier to get their pin. Again, I'll reiterate....an OOD letter does not equate to a SWO qual. Sshhhh, don't tell those SWO's on the carrier though, they might get offended. A carrier is simply a piss poor place to get SWO "qualified" on.

Goober

None
Them's fighting words mister, don't make me lose your Christmas leave chit, or send a diary entry on you to EPMAC as a "loss", or put my "swizzle stick" in your coffee when I bring it to you with a big smile :D
Let's see...

I've had my leave chit lost on numerous occasions, haven't been augmented even though I signed my augmentation paperwork, had records "misplaced", temporarily lost 8 years of service time, etc., etc., etc. Need I go on? :D

I was a PersO...some in the office hack it, some don't;)