• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Noise complaints

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I was bouncing at the little municipal airfield in Beaufort, NC--for the sake of protecting the guilty (me) I'll just say it was the other day. Sweet place to bounce--itty bitty runway, with views of the water, big houses, and nice boats on the approach end. Did I say there were big houses? After flying the pattern for 30-40 minutes, the airfield manager calls me on UNICOM and says they've gotten several complaints, that "You're making their houses vibrate and shaking plates off mantles, and they've been asking me who they need to call." After spending a moment wondering who the hell puts china on the edge of a mantle, I asked him if there was any noise abatement rule that I missed, and he said no. I switched runways to fly over the trailer park at the approach end for the other runway. Apparently that's where the real Americans live, because the airport didn't get any more calls in the next 30 minutes.

Luckily, none of those people had found my ODO's phone number by the time I got back.

This was a very old airfield, and most of the nice houses on the approach end looked pretty new. I know the airfield was there when jackasses 1-100built their homes 1/4 mile off the approach end of the runway. Did it ever occur to these scum-sucking excuse for Americans that occasionally AIRCRAFT might come to an airport, and maybe even land a couple times?

Anyway, just wanted to solicit any good noise complaint stories from the peanut gallery.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
SOP for the west coast, thought I was done with them here in the South.

I got one the other day flying our stash Lt around.

as we were flying I was explaining how you could never do things like this in communist California but here in good, God fearing, Patriotic Georgia they love the military and its ok.

Well I land and our XO tells me that we got a noise complaint, so much for all the good things I said about GA, apparently jackasses are nationwide.

Carno

Insane
Some nutso near my flight school claimed that our aircraft were buzzing his house at 500 ft and revving their engines when they flew over. After several weeks of bitching and moaning to the flight school's director, the guy threatened to shoot down any of our planes that flew overhead with (get this)..... a flare gun.

And of course he had built his house long after the airport and flight school were already there.

KimberlyD

Was this Michael J Smith Airfield? Beaufort is known for it's support of the military, especially w/ the Harriers flying over all the time but recently more & more vacationers have been building mammoth homes there to stay for the winter.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Was this Michael J Smith Airfield? Beaufort is known for it's support of the military, especially w/ the Harriers flying over all the time but recently more & more vacationers have been building mammoth homes there to stay for the winter.

Airplanes go SOUTH for the winter, DUH!!

Lawman

None
Some nutso near my flight school claimed that our aircraft were buzzing his house at 500 ft and revving their engines when they flew over. After several weeks of bitching and moaning to the flight school's director, the guy threatened to shoot down any of our planes that flew overhead with (get this)..... a flare gun.

And of course he had built his house long after the airport and flight school were already there.

A guy in my Hall at Riddle was actually shot at by a pheasant farmer with a shotgun. Yeah ...... I know.....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

That's grounds for a call to local law enforcement IMO.

Brett

xmid

pilot
Contributor

Wouldn't that be a "terroristic threat" that he just made? What a jackass.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

Yes, as a matter of fact, it was Runway 03. You also go right over some mammoth waterfront restaurant/bar that looked pretty cool.

A guy in my Hall at Riddle was actually shot at by a pheasant farmer with a shotgun. Yeah ...... I know.....

He wasn't flying over the Vice President's ranch, was he?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Some nutso near my flight school claimed that our aircraft were buzzing his house at 500 ft and revving their engines when they flew over. After several weeks of bitching and moaning to the flight school's director, the guy threatened to shoot down any of our planes that flew overhead with (get this)..... a flare gun......
ABSOLUTELY .... report this to local law enforcement.

A few decades back, we had "incoming" at the LSO shack(s) @ OLF Coupeville; it resulted in several bullet holes in the shacks. It escalated into a few aircraft taking fire while in the bounce pattern at night.

We coordinated with the Sheriff's Dept. and caught the S.O.B. before someone got hurt. He was a pillar of the local "hate the Navy & their noise" community ... until we caught him. :)

Coupeville_WA_05_s.jpg

TigerGSU

We get noise complaints a lot when we're crop dusting around town here. All of the city slickers go nuts and think you're poisoning them with anthrax or something when an ag plane makes a run, especially if some of it drifts into their yard. Also not uncommon to look into the business end of a rifle, shitty thing is, flying that low they actually have a chance of hitting their target. As for the sherriff doing anything about it, maybe once you come in with a couple of bullet holes, otherwise it's just a "claim".:icon_roll

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Back in 04, my COD det received 60 complaints in 2 hours of bouncing at Miramar. I guess the constant prop noise was a bit to much for those residents used to the constant jet noise :confused:

Lawman

None
He wasn't flying over the Vice President's ranch, was he?

Nahh, just a crazy farmer in the South Practice Area. There was a Notam that had been up for a while that if you were over this guys farm to operate above 1000 feet because the birds actually would go crazy and start hurting themselves/eachother or something of that nature. All I know is flight ops for the day got all but shut down and when I talked to the guy back at the dorm he was just like "Some Crazy F'er started shooting at us!"

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Nahh, just a crazy farmer in the South Practice Area. There was a Notam that had been up for a while that if you were over this guys farm to operate above 1000 feet because the birds actually would go crazy and start hurting themselves/eachother or something of that nature. All I know is flight ops for the day got all but shut down and when I talked to the guy back at the dorm he was just like "Some Crazy F'er started shooting at us!"

I know the field and we still aren't allowed near it. :D